Let's design a holster!

This is a discussion on Let's design a holster! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I originally presented this idea back in December of 2007. It turned out that quite a few posters were very interested, but eventually the thread ...

Thread: Let's design a holster!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Let's design a holster!

I originally presented this idea back in December of 2007. It turned out that quite a few posters were very interested, but eventually the thread got bumped to the back and closed. To the best of my knowledge, no holster maker offers anything like this.

(The original thread is HERE if you want to review. It went several pages)

So anyway, the idea is.... Beltless IWB. Some of us really aren't fond of belts and don't like having to mess with them. Some of us also (you know who you are) will sometimes snap a clip-type IWB holster on for a quick run somewhere.

So the tradeoff is:

A. I have to put on a belt, slip the holster in the pants, adjust it, deal with belt loops or clips (cursing is optional), and then finally get the rig just right, but I have great stability once it's on.

B. Snap on a clip-type and go. Quick and easy, but the support isn't really there and the holster might come out with the gun if needed. Not good.

So here's what I propose:

Take some of these clothing rack snaps, but much thinner and better quality, made with metal.

Using a Milt Sparks VMII just for illustration purposes:

Now slip the holster in the pants, snap the clips like this:

....beltless IWB.

Now, I envision this holster as being kydex with a denim backing. Denim is comfortable to the skin but should grip well, or at least as good as rough leather. The idea is to make it light. I didn't illustrate this, but I might also add a thin but strong strip of canvas across the front to connect the clips. This will give added stability.

And speaking of denim:

You could have some different-colored denim cover pulldowns that attach with velcro.

So let's hear the ideas!

But please, don't link to an elastic belly band and tell me that it serves the same purpose. It doesn't. I'm talking about a genuine IWB holster that needs no belt. Many pants are more than sturdy enough to support this idea.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if this helps your project but I often wear my SuperTuck without a belt, no problems at all. I have nice gunbelts, I just don't feel like wearing a belt all of the time. I like the idea. Those hanger clips might not be too comfortable though. You could put a Chip-Clip on your pants to simulate one.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Rounds View Post
    I don't know if this helps your project but I often wear my SuperTuck without a belt, no problems at all. I have nice gunbelts, I just don't feel like wearing a belt all of the time. I like the idea. Those hanger clips might not be too comfortable though. You could put a Chip-Clip on your pants to simulate one.
    Yeah, it still bugs me about where to get the clips. I can totally envision them and "see" exactly how they might work, but I don't think I've seen them in the flesh. I'm sure I've seen something close.

Also.... I would suggest some "rubber teeth" where the clips meet the pants. This would add plenty of extra grip to keep the holster from coming up while protecting the pants at the same time.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I can't stand my 229 without a belt. Even when I had it in a VM2 tucked with a belt but just riding on the pants I hated it. I have had no problems with the holster coming out with the pistol with my CTAC when tucked, and of course no problems ever with my VM2 when it's snapped to my belt with the leather loops. It's not really much trouble at all to put on.

I'm not just trying to shoot down your idea...It could work with a really small sub compact, but for a compact or fullsize, I would not recommend this.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm not just trying to shoot down your idea...It could work with a really small sub compact, but for a compact or fullsize, I would not recommend this.
    I've carried my Colt Defender in a clip-on IWB with no belt and it was perfectly fine. I think a lot of it depends on the strength and sturdiness of the pants.

-miklcolt45

I think you nailed it when you said this will lack the support, I think that's the issue.

I bought this holster H715-M W.C. [H715-M] - $29.30 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods. when i was on vacation in Missouri and I love it for quick runs or when i have gym shorts or something like that. I have to make sure the pants are secured tightly though.

If i had to carry without a belt I would use a holster like the don hume one or a smartcarry. But i like where your idea is heading just not sure on how sturdy it would be just on denim, khaki or other pliable fabric.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Unless your pants are snug without a belt you will lack support. This may not be a deal-breaker with a light-ish gun such as a Kahr or Kel-tec or ultralight snub, but something heavier will definitely drag your pants down.

I made a holster that utilized grip clips for suspenders which work, but are a tad bulky.Hidden Defense: Grip Clip Holster for a Kahr PM9

I do like the idea of using those hanger clips, very clever. They are slimmer than the grip clips.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I don't feel that I have the need for this style of holster but I think the idea is a good one - esp the hanger clips. Good thinking - you may still work something out!
    for Liberty click: LP.org
    Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no Vice - Barry Goldwater

Molon Labe!
    1835 Texas Version: Come & Take It!

VIP Member
    How 'bout Velcro sewn onto the pants and holster clip shanks. You'll prolly still need to stiffen the hem and use substantial elastic to keep from dropping your drawers. It really depends on the weight of the gun. Generally IWB doesn't need as substantial a belt as OWB. I have a small selection of pants in use for different applications, each with an IWB and V-clips attached. For a quickie I use a Fobus paddle over the hem of a beltless garment like boxers or briefs (am not telling which.)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    HBE and UBG are already doing this. Eric and Nate offer holsters with a clip attachment that will grab your pants and wont compromise holster retention. Clipping over the belt is a better system IMHO. To properly support the weight of a gun, a belt is the preferred method in my book. YMMV
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

When it comes to the clamps, have you tried just going to the hardware store (Home Depot or some such) and looking? It sounds simplistic, but it might yield great results. I don't know how many times I've wandered into one with a general idea in mind, and came out with a definite one instead.

I may not have found what I was looking for, although that has happened plenty, but I usually have a better idea about what I really want and where to find it. The employees are generally appreciative of an interesting challenge, and will often scour the store with you for an answer.

Just a thought.

Also, look at industrial supply sites and type in "Clamp" in the search bar...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    When it comes to the clamps, have you tried just going to the hardware store (Home Depot or some such) and looking? It sounds simplistic, but it might yield great results. I don't know how many times I've wandered into one with a general idea in mind, and came out with a definite one instead.

I may not have found what I was looking for, although that has happened plenty, but I usually have a better idea about what I really want and where to find it. The employees are generally appreciative of an interesting challenge, and will often scour the store with you for an answer.

Just a thought.

Also, look at industrial supply sites and type in "Clamp" in the search bar...
    Yeah, they've surprised me a few times, as well. I've also thought about this... it doesn't have to be the kind of "slide down" clip I illustrated. It could also be something that flips down to close. I've owned belts with elastic that had the type I'm talking about. I may try to find some of those.

-miklcolt45

how about something using a hook that hooks around a belt loop? That way when you draw your weapon the hook stays grabbed to the belt loop thus preventing the holster from coming out of your pants.

Or even better a smaller version of a regular IWB clip turned sideways that way it clips through the belt loop?

The Alessi Talon clip is designed to clip on your pants not your belt Josh Bulman and Alessi both make holsters utilizing the Talon clip.
    No belt required.
    IWB Holsters of Bulman Gunleather Concealment Systems
    Alessi Gun Holsters

Links