Help with pocket holster making it stay in pocket

This is a discussion on Help with pocket holster making it stay in pocket within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just recieved my new holster an I'm working on breaking it in which will probably resolve this issue but wondering ifthere is some kind of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with pocket holster making it stay in pocket

Help with pocket holster making it stay in pocket

Just recieved my new holster an I'm working on breaking it in which will probably resolve this issue but wondering ifthere is some kind of rubber tape I can add to make it "sticky" and stay in my pocket better. My iPhone rubber case is hard to take out of the loosest pockets. Any any links will be great

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure of how to fix your holster problem, but the 'thumb push' on the Fist #5 directly addresses that concern.

No one listens to the secret...this pocket holster CAN'T/WON'T come out...
    Pocket Holster w/the Thumb Push

Start your holster box now...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is why I like the Mika Pocket Holster.

It stays in the pocket, as it should, and it doesn't require a push of the thumb, which can be forgotten in the heat of a deadly encounter. The only downside to the Mika is, while it hides the gun well, it doesn't reatain the gun well when you stand on your head.

Last night I was lying down on the couch with my BUG in it's respective Mika Pocket Holster. Through my various movements the little revolver I carry ended up out of my pocket and on the floor. That is the only drawback to the Mika, and one I'm willing to live with since it's perfect in every other consideration IMO.

I've used Pocket Holsters with a "grab hook" on them that catch the holster on the edge of the pocket. These don't work too well for me, since I have managed to draw the gun and holster at the same time before. Everything has a trade-off and you will have to decide what works for you. Since I don't spend much time lying down on my back, unless I'm at home in bed or on the couch, I'm willing to face the possibility of a gun falling out of my pocket should I end up in that position.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; October 17th, 2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling

VIP Member
    Never had that problem with my Mika holsters.

Yup, use your thumb.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I like the roughout type leather for the pocket holsters for this very reason. Or as been mentioned before;use your thumb.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I also use the Mika and the Nemisis and never have that problem. Maybe it would help if you told us what type or brand of holster you are using?

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Our friend Robert Locke makes pocket holsters - one is called a Batman, it has a winged tip that helps hook & hold the holster in a pocket.

his site is mecopocketholsters.com

He has other styles to choose from too!

I had the problem with a NAA pocket holster. What I did was put the "prickly" side of velcro on the holster and it solved the problem.

I've put patterned "dots" of 3M Marine Adhesive (black) on the outside of a couple of pocket holsters. Works like a charm, I now almost have to remove my pants to get the dang things out of my pocket.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks! It's a K&D 2 in 1 holster and still need to break it in is probably the main problem. Like the thumb push but not enought leather on the side to do it. Would need to add some kind of small tab so I'm on the lookout for something to attach.

Is it the kind of holster that you could put three or four thick rubber bands around ? Those will give you some grab.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Rounds View Post
    Is it the kind of holster that you could put three or four thick rubber bands around ? Those will give you some grab.
    This is a pretty good idea, I have never tried it, but be carefull to make sure the rubber bands are loose enough to not cause the holster to be tighter on the gun. The gun needs to come out freely, with less friction than the holster to pocket.

I use my thumb to help push the holster off the gun during the draw. Even with a thin nylon holster there is enough edge to place your thumb on the edge of the holster and extend it as you draw.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Been through/have a bunch of very good pocket holsters and I'd say get a FIST K5 w/ultrasuede. Very thin holster and the ultrasuede helps it stay in your pocket.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I like pocket holsters that don't have much retention. The gun is in your pocket so it doesn't need much. What is important is to cover the trigger. You can get a full combat grip and draw with out any issues. You don't have to worry about the holster hooking your pants, thumb pushes etc....

I prefer Mika's, Uncle Mike's, Desantis Nemesis etc......

Good summary, High Altitude.

A pocket holster doesn't need to do much, except for covering the firearm and it's trigger. A little bit of "grab" on the outside is desirable, but the "boned" fit so sought after in most holsters just is not necessary while riding in the pocket. And any feature that requires more futzing (or muscle memory) to remove the firearm from the pocket isn't necessary either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links