Kydex vs. leather, help me decide.

This is a discussion on Kydex vs. leather, help me decide. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always like the way a leather holster looks. I've never liked the way Kydex looks. But, I've heard so many positive things about Crossbreed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex vs. leather, help me decide.

I've always like the way a leather holster looks. I've never liked the way Kydex looks. But, I've heard so many positive things about Crossbreed Holsters (Supertuck) I'm considering one.
    I like the big body panel to keep sweat off the gun.
    I like the concept that it's adjustable all over.
    I like the concept that the Kydex may hold it's shape for easier re-holstering.

But....Will the Kydex wear the Nitron finish off my beloved Sig?

I like kydex for my autoloaders and leather for my revolvers. Just a personal preference thing. Both leather and kydex can wear the finish off a gun.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I use both. I've got a Milt sparks VM2 for regular IWB. It has the slide guard to keep sweat of the gun. It's not really adjustable, but it fits me well the way it is. The holster holds it's shape VERY well. It has a metal band around the mouth to help keep it open, but the leather is pretty stiff and would take quite a bit to close it.

I also use a CTAC for IWB tucked carry. It's kydex, has the sweat shield, and I can adjust the cant and tension. The adjustability isn't a big issue for me. If they could make a CTAC out of leather instead of kydex, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

With both holsters, I always wear an undershirt. I find that the kydex digs into my side with the edges more, it doesn't conform to my shape like leather will, and it's just a little more uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of kydex.

As far as wear and tear on the gun, since kydex is smooth on the inside, and a softer material than the finish on your gun, it will wear the finish some, but not as bad as leather, which tends to be rougher and more abrasive on the inside. My sig gets holstered/unholstered every day. After a year of this, it still shows no holster wear. Holster wear is gonna take a while.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Leather will last a LOOOOOOOOT longer than kydex.
    I have two pocket holsters...one WAS kydex and the other was leather.
    I'm still using the leather one, but the kydex wore out in about 4-5 years...the leather one will last many, many more years.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You could always get the "original" hybrid holster from Tucker Gun Leather. It's called The Answer and he can line the kydex portion with leather, so you get the benefit of both. His quality......well in a word........spectaculor. JMO, YMMV.

Link: "The Answer" IWB - $125
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

The Crossbreed is every bit as good as you've heard it is.
    I can't say enough good things about the holster or the customer service.
    If you find that the Kydex is rubbing your finish off you can heat it up and bend it a little .

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    For me there is no substitute for leather holsters. Especially from a custom maker. To answer your question from what I have seen kydex will wear your finish a bit faster than leather. However remember that a worn finish means that the pistol has been in and out of a holster many thousands of times being used as it should be. A carry piece is a tool and tools are meant to be used . So show off that pistol wear and be proud.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

IMHO leather fits sooooo much better and feels so good it does have to be custom though which will cost a bit more.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Dead Cow Rocks!!!

kpw
    I've got favorites in both and use both. If I had to pick one, it'd be leather. Looks better and I love the new leather squeek! As for wearing your finish, that's going to happen no matter what you choose.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I will soon be purchasing a Minotaur MTAC from Comptac. Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster It seems to have all the features someone would ask for. Leather backing/sweat shield, kydex holster, tuckable iwb and adjustable cant!

Leather will conform to your body...kydex never will.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've got both kydex and leather and like them both. Any finish will exhibit wear after being inserted and removed thousands of times from any holster. I also have fabric holsters that I like very much, they fit very close to the body and are much more comfortable than many expensive leather ones. Being that I carry concealed, no one is going to see my holster regardless of it's material make up anyway. I'm one of those who like them all, but I believe that the fabric material will most likely be, to a lesser degree, easier on any finish. And for $20.00 a pop they're cheap enough to replace every five or so years. Works for me.

Moo Moo Buckaroo. Leather is the only way to go in my opinion. Be proud of that little bit of wear that will happen over the next decade.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    For me there is no substitute for leather holsters. Especially from a custom maker. To answer your question from what I have seen kydex will wear your finish a bit faster than leather. However remember that a worn finish means that the pistol has been in and out of a holster many thousands of times being used as it should be. A carry piece is a tool and tools are meant to be used . So show off that pistol wear and be proud.
    Mike
    +1 to this. It just means that you've had it a while and gives the gun character. Just my .02 cents
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links