Help Please with OWB and Glock 26

This is a discussion on Help Please with OWB and Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I need help/suggestions with what brand and model of OWB holster to do the following. Please understand that although I know I should ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Please with OWB and Glock 26

Help Please with OWB and Glock 26

Hello All,

I need help/suggestions with what brand and model of OWB holster to do the following. Please understand that although I know I should "dress around my carry rig", I would rather not change how I dress if possible.

So, here is the scenario:

1. I am 5'9" and a little overwieght so I have the infamous "love handles" as my wife says so nicely.
    2. I live in Florida and 95% of the year, I am in a T-shirt or tank and cargo shorts. I don't want anything inside my pants like a IWB or a Smartcarry.
    3. I mostly carry a PM9 or a LCP in a pocket holster (right front) but looking for a higher cap gun in OWB or just a bigger gun in OWB

I know many will say tuck the T and use a cover shirt, but I want to know if anyone does it without the extra bulk, because I would rather keep my attire the way it is. Also, if anyone does, does the holster they use get too uncomfortable against the skin? If this is all workable I would use this mode of carry for my S&W 66 too.

Maybe pocket is the only way to go with my criteria????

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

I'm in FL with your same build, too. I carry my S&W 640-1 OWB under a T-shirt. I wear those wife beater tank tops underneath, though. Too much chafing where the belt buckle is. I've got an old Desantis pancake holster. I'm typically wearing cargo shorts.

My right front pocket has my S&W 637-1, it beats carrying speed loaders.

That being said, it's doable. Obviously, I prefer J-frames.

I've tried carrying my SIG P226, however, it felt like I put a phonebook on my side. Especially while sitting in my driver's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
    I'm in FL with your same build, too. I carry my S&W 640-1 OWB under a T-shirt. I wear those wife beater tank tops underneath, though. Too much chafing where the belt buckle is. I've got an old Desantis pancake holster. I'm typically wearing cargo shorts.

My right front pocket has my S&W 637-1, it beats carrying speed loaders.

That being said, it's doable. Obviously, I prefer J-frames.

I've tried carrying my SIG P226, however, it felt like I put a phonebook on my side. Especially while sitting in my driver's seat.
    So where exactly to you carry it (position on your belt)? I too was wondering, althoguh I didnt say it in my original post, how comfortable it is when you are seated in a vehicle?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I have a Tagua belt slide style holster. Have not seriously carried it yet. Just around the house to break it in. My wife did not notice the G19 under my t shirt. I OC and got used to OWB, so I wanted to get something thinner than my Serpa. I like it so far.

The Galco Concealable, always comes to mind first. I alos would look to Don Hume they are VERY affordable. I also like the Alessi CQC and CQC-S. That should get you started.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry my Glock 27 year round in a Don Hume H721 OT pancake OWB holster.

H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $48.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

I can easily conceal it under a dark tee shirt, and it is very comfortable because of the extra flap of leather behind the back of the slide. A "wife-beater" undershirt helps to keep the holster from rubbing against the love handles. This also works well to put on a tee shirt and wear an un-buttoned short sleeve shirt over it.
    Proud NRA member

I just got my Galco OWB belt holster in last week for my glock 21sf and from what I learned since using it is the FBI cant is GREAT. It is amazing how 15degrees of forward leaning makes the handle of my glock disappear.

So whatever brand of holster you choose I would recommend getting one with the FBI cant.
    Go Hokies!!!

Administrator

I should add to the above...at least a 15 degree (what is incorrectly but very commonly called an) "F.B.I." Cant.

You'll want to get a high quality leather pancake type rig with a good stiff gun belt.
    Note: REALLY GOOD FIRM GUN BELT ~~~> IMPORTANT! <~~

If you have "love handles" they will tend to push the gun butt out so don't get a super high ride holster.
    Just get a mid-ride and buy slightly longer T-Shirts. Heavy 100% Cotton in darker colors work best and are the most comfortable.

Then you'll also want to buy a holster that tilts (AKA Cants) the gun butt up.

Buy one like this (below) and carry right behind the strong side hip.
    This holster is by Gibson Gunleather but, he does not have one available for a G 26 right now. Many other top quality holster makers make a similar style though.

A GLOCK 26 will be a breeze to carry OWB this way.

all credit to Gibson Gunleather for letting me steal and hotlink a photo.
    Thanks Bruce.

Administrator

I knew that I remembered seeing this PIC that a member posted on DC a ways back.

Here is a GLOCK 26 in a Don Hume H721OT.
    That one should work out just fine for you.

Also keep in mind that Cotton T-Shirts shrink. Even the "Pre-Shrunk" will often shrink in length.

SO....once you find a good T-Shirt brand and you wash it the way you normally do your laundry and it shrinks to oversize/perfect then run out and buy a dozen of them.

Since you're in FLA - you might not want to buy black since black soaks up the Sun...but, Olive Drab, Medium Blue, Gray, and Deep Red, & Brown are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I carry my Glock 27 year round in a Don Hume H721 OT pancake OWB holster.

H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $48.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

I can easily conceal it under a dark tee shirt, and it is very comfortable because of the extra flap of leather behind the back of the slide. A "wife-beater" undershirt helps to keep the holster from rubbing against the love handles. This also works well to put on a tee shirt and wear an un-buttoned short sleeve shirt over it.
    I looked at it and I like the looks, does it stay open for reholstering?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I knew that I remembered seeing this PIC that a member posted on DC a ways back.

Here is a GLOCK 26 in a Don Hume H721OT.
    That one should work out just fine for you.

Also keep in mind that Cotton T-Shirts shrink. Even the "Pre-Shrunk" will often shrink in length.

SO....once you find a good T-Shirt brand and you wash it the way you normally do your laundry and it shrinks to oversize/perfect then run out and buy a dozen of them.

Since you're in FLA - you might not want to buy black since black soaks up the Sun...but, Olive Drab, Medium Blue, Gray, and Deep Red, & Brown are fine.
    Thanks for the hint, makes perfect sense to me and I will shop for some.....although it also looks like I really need to rethink not wearing a undershirt....I just get overheated easily with them on.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I looked at it and I like the looks, does it stay open for reholstering?
    Yes, because the belt goes through the loops and behind the holster. Hume's holsters are pretty tight when new, so "break-in" is required. I wrapped my unloaded 27 in a couple layers of Saran wrap and left the gun in holster for a couple of days. Just like any other leather it takes a while for it to loosen up, even then it still has good solid retention.

I might add I carry a spare mag in the matching holder.

D417 [D417] - $28.20 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.
    Proud NRA member

The Don hume holster looks like the perfect combo of quality and price, thanks!

VIP Member
    There are a lot of good choices for OWB out there... here's one from Milt Sparks:

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

TTgunleather high ride pancake with a good belt. Do it all the time!!

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...cake%20holster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links