Tucked Rigs and Subcompacts - do I really need to step down to pocket guns?

This is a discussion on Tucked Rigs and Subcompacts - do I really need to step down to pocket guns? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a BUG and deep concealment gun in business and professional attire. My primary carry are G19s; in fact I'm in the process ...

Thread: Tucked Rigs and Subcompacts - do I really need to step down to pocket guns?

Tucked Rigs and Subcompacts - do I really need to step down to pocket guns?

I'm looking for a BUG and deep concealment gun in business and professional attire. My primary carry are G19s; in fact I'm in the process standardizing all my pistols on 9mm glock platform.

I go back and forth between little pocket autos and just going with a G26 in a tuckable holster (supertuck or Mtac; maybe smart carry). I realize pocket guns are trade offs, but one trade off I don't want to make is a lack of slide lock on an empty mag. Only Kahrs P380, PM9 and Kel Tec P-32 retain this feature.

Obviously the bigger the gun, the better, but what I'm worried about is business casual and more formal occasions with a thick gun like a glock in a tuckable rig.

Just how concealable are the subcompact glocks in such attire? Basically can I get away with a G26 in either a tucked rig or smart carry while wearing a suit or dare I suggest a tux?

Edit:
    Firm requirements if going pocket gun:
    - slide lock on empty mag
    - semi-auto; no revolvers

2. Remove Ads

You're going to get a bunch of suggestions/recommendations, so here's mine. When I wear jeans, I carry my Ruger LCP, in pocket with a Desantis Nemesis. When I wear slacks or shorts I carry my PF-9, in pocket with a Desantis Nemesis. It's all a matter of comfort. I love my PF-9 and it has performed flawlessly and has the Kel Tec lifetime guarantee. Good luck.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, Glock 32, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Just how concealable are the subcompact glocks in such attire? Basically can I get away with a G26 in either a tucked rig or smart carry while wearing a suit or dare I suggest a tux?
    Absolutely. I've gotten away with a Sig 226, OWB in a tuxedo and a suit. And IWB should be less silhouette than that. Just make sure there's enough room in your pants and the jacket isn't tight-fitting on your lower torso, and you'll be fine. Oh. And if you decided to go with OWB or shoulder carry, you'll want to consider getting a jacket one size larger than normal.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Checkout a FIST K4 w/velcro clip. It works well with my G33 in business type attire. As already mentioned, make sure your pants/jacket aren't too tight. There are other very good IWBs out there but I like the FIST ultra thin kydex the best especially with dress pants/tucked. The velcro clip helps with concealability.

I carried a G19 in a Smartcarry in business attire (suit) for 18 months - no one ever noticed. I now use a G26. Pleated, dark colored pants are better. Move the Smartcarry over so the gun is at the 11 o'clock, and the bottom of the grip is centered on the zipper.

I used to pocket carry a PM9. In addition to numerous issues with it, some suit pants have shallow pockets, and the grip could be visible to someone behind me, if I wasn't wearing my suit coat.

There is NO chance of a "bump frisk" with a Smartcarry.

More here, BTDT:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...y-methods.html

Hope that helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

How do you carry OWB with a tux? Every one I've ever had uses suspenders.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

i use a g27 and/or g23 with the galco u.d.c holster. works well for a tuckable in jeans and dress pants with a good belt. now for a tux, i would go with the galco miami classic. get your tux jacket cut for a shoulder hoslter.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I wear a suit occasionally (we call it my "marry and bury suit"), and always go with my XD 9 sc in an IWB tuckable. As long as there is room in your pants for it, and you leave enough room in your shirt so that it is not tucked tight, it's no problem.

At the last wedding I officiated I took my coat off after the ceremony and danced a bunch with my wife. No one noticed and even my wife was surprised I was carrying when I got home and disarmed.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCM View Post
    I'm looking for a BUG and deep concealment gun in business and professional attire. My primary carry are G19s; in fact I'm in the process standardizing all my pistols on 9mm glock platform.

I go back and forth between little pocket autos and just going with a G26 in a tuckable holster (supertuck or Mtac; maybe smart carry). I realize pocket guns are trade offs, but one trade off I don't want to make is a lack of slide lock on an empty mag. Only Kahrs P380, PM9 and Kel Tec P-32 retain this feature.

Obviously the bigger the gun, the better, but what I'm worried about is business casual and more formal occasions with a thick gun like a glock in a tuckable rig.

Edit:
    Then go slim instead. The Walther PPS SC .40 is less than one inch thick and has ample stopping power. I have never had a problem with mine.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I've traveled down the road you are looking and and here is where I have gotten to.

I almost always have my Kel Tec P3AT in my back pocket.

I can also use my CZ PCR in a tuckable K&D Thunderbird Defender holster. It disappears quite nicely in business attire. You can see pictures here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cealed-48.html

I also can tuck my XD45C in a MTAC holster with velcro clips that will attach to the back of my Beltman belt. That really disappears!

The sheep have never noticed either one of these when I had them on. It does take a couple extra minutes in the morning to make sure you have it tucked in and bloused just right but I've been extremely happy with it.

The only difficuly is going to pee. If you unbuckle the belt, the pants are immediately at your ankles!!!

Edit:
    I think that you have answered your own question......in the affirmative.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

After much experimentation with Kel-Tec (both 3AT and PF9), Ruger LCPs (2) and a Micro Desert Eagle, I got tired of shipping them back and forth to the manufacturers and purchased a S&W 642 Stainless Airweight last spring. I found that this revolver with a speed strip of +P .38s was virtually undetectable and VERY comfortable with pleated slacks, Dockers (or similar) and jeans with tucked-in shirts ranging from dress to golf varieties in a Smart Carry holster.

Now that cooler weather has arrived, I'll spend the next several months with my G26 or G19 either at 3:30 or 4 o'clock in a Side Armor kydex or a Galco leather tuckable (abdomen carry) and will feel just fine in terms of comfort and concealability.

Personally, the .380 pocket guns just proved to be too unreliable. Years-and dollars-later I think I've found the perfect combination for myself. I've carried the G26 in the same Smart Carry and it works, but the bulge makes me a little self-conscious and the added weight is definitely noticeable, especially if you add a spare magazine.

Good luck.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

As an everyday "tucker" and "pocketer", I say go with both options if possible. I must wear business casual daily and the ladies in the office tend to turn the heat way up so jackets go off as soon as I'm through the door. I get by with a Crossbreed SuperTuck for my Sig P239 tucked and I also pocket my Kahr PM9 which I thankfully have never had any major issues with other than springs wearing out and replacing the plastic mag release with a metal one. It's a high mileage PM9 (somewhere around 5k rounds).

My experience has been that for some a lesser caliber may be neccessary to carry concealed, but for me it's not. I'm willing to work around the gun. These days with the guns & gear available it's not nearly that much work. I'll admit that I get a hankering for a mousegun at times, but mostly because I think it's cool that something so small can go bang not because I want to trust my life on it.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I think you'd probably be quite happy with the G26... it fits your standardizing process and is a nice little gun.

I carry a PM9 tucked and very much like it. You can see pics here.
    I carry it to church every Sunday and generally wear slacks and a dress shirt.

I've also photographed a half dozen weddings since carrying and have worn anything from slacks and a nice polo to a full suit (depends on what the client wants and the weather).
    One of those weddings the groom and three of his groomsmen were cops... nobody has ever noticed :)

Edit:
    If you do decide to go the pocket .380 route the Sig P238 goes to slide lock on empty FYI so you can add that to your list to check out. Otherwise can't help you on the other stuff since i don't own a compact pistol other than the P238 which I just acquired. Good luck to you though

Links