Shoulder holster adjustments

This is a discussion on Shoulder holster adjustments within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchase a used Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig at a gun show yesterday for $95 (it looks brand new) and tried it on last ...

Thread: Shoulder holster adjustments

Shoulder holster adjustments

I purchase a used Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig at a gun show yesterday for $95 (it looks brand new) and tried it on last night with my Glock 19 and two spare 17-round magazines on the opposite side. No matter what I wore over it, the bulge from the back of the receiver and slide was noticeable below and in front of my armpit.

Looking at the two leather straps that hold the gun holster, I see plenty of adjustment holes on the back strap, but the front strap is adjusted as high as the number of holes will allow. Am I right in assuming that as I get it adjusted higher and closer to my armpit that the printing will diminish? If so, should I just punch a couple new holes in that front strap so I can move the gun higher and still maintain the horizontal plane of the slide and barrel?

My goal is to use this on road trips as I approach retirement with my wife, under a long sleeve patterned shirt or light jacket. I like the gun a lot and also have a G26, which I suppose would print less if I bought one of these holsters cut for the G26, but that starts to get a little spendy.

Thanks for any insights from you Galco fans out there.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

I can't help much here, but when I used shoulder holsters, they had tie downs on both sides. I always wore my pistol holster muzzle up at about a 30 angle which helped in concealing better and more natural access to the thumb snap, and a pull down draw. I still like the idea of the shoulder rigs, but they are sort of difficult to work with for me, and somewhat limited to wearing under heavier outerwear. These days, I like things that don't move around a lot when I do. The shoulder rig system will move with you, and you may find it difficult to deal with, and get things the way you'd like. IMO....you've got your work ahead of you. I don't think I could carry with a shoulder rig without tie downs. Those will hinder movement even more. Good luck with it.

Administrator
    Get the gun up under the armpit and adjust it so that the gun is slightly canted muzzle up butt down.

You should not need a tie-down on the firearm side if you get it close up and an inch or so under your pit.

You may very well need to punch some additional holes. Galco straps are supplied extra long.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Maybe you need to lower the holster a bit.

The two holsters I currently have and use are the Galco Miami Classic and Half Harness. I restrict my shoulder holster carry to small or compact frame sized guns only. The lighter the better.

I fit my shoulder holster in such a way as to have the grip at elbow height, as this is the most natural feeling "reach" for me. I hang the holster at a very slight downward Kant...again, I try to match the hand to the handle so that it feels natural and ergonomic.

Carrying high and tight has proven hard for me to conceal and just doesn't feel as good when drawing. Drawing by the way is best described as a smooth controlled "ripping the gun out" motion.

I also do use tie downs on the miami classic, mainly because I do not carry the double mag case. The Half Harness is already tied down by design.

Having someone assist you makes the fitting go better. Becoming comfortable may take weeks. If the first adjustment proves not to be ideal, spend the half hour it takes to make adjustments until it works for you, your clothes, your body style, etc. The Galcos are very adjustable and offer a wide variety of accessories to tailor to your needs.

Good luck.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually shoulder holsters work best if the gun rides vertically in them.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thanks everyone - I'll take it all under advisement and begin some tinkering. Hope it works because I want to get something from the investment.

Administrator
    Yep. Just keep playing around with it and making adjustments until you get it right for yourself.

Once you do get it all set where you like it and have worn it that way for a while then feel free to cut all of that excess harness strap leather off.

Also remember that what might be very noticable for you since you are specifically looking for any sort of bulge will very likely not even be noticed by other people.

How many people did you come in contact with today?
    What shoes were they wearing?
    What color were their belt buckles...silver or gold?
    How many men that you saw today had a wallet bulge in their back pocket as VS their front pocket?

Everyone is different, I like my Jackass rig up high under my arm with the butt lower that the muzzle and the mag pouches bottom forward.

The Galcos are so adjustable you will probable spend a couple weeks finding what works for you, don't get frustrated after just a couple days. I have used my Jackass for nearly 20 years and is the ONLY holster I have had that long.

Where you carry ithe holster andgun depends a lot on how you are built. Under the armpit is ideal, but if you are barrel chested or thick in the "lats", the gun will print as if you were naked. If that is the case, wear the gun a little lower. Experiment like others have said. The butt of the gun should be lower then the barrel, but experiment. Mine seems to carry the best when it is parallel(sp) Once you find the position that is best for you, I think you will find the shoulder holster to be a great way to carry the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Actually shoulder holsters work best if the gun rides vertically in them.
    Especially if it is a large frame gun - full size 1911s, full size Glocks, large revolvers. Even medium frames conceal better when carried vertically.

Ever try to carry a 6" M28 in a horizontal holster?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I think you have your work cut out for you. Tried the same method with your same holster and my 5" Springer 1911. Couldn't pull it off. If you had a 48" chest it might help you out. Mines only 40".

Now my 2.5" S&W 19 dissapears in an Alessi Bodyguard under a button down. Bought it originally for riding my motorcycle but am wearing it alot, especially with the cold wx coming on. It is very comfortable and completely undetectable.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Thanks everyone. I visited the Galco website and see I can simply purchase a new holster for my G26 ($74+) if necessary, but I'm going to try and make this G19 work first. We have a major gun show coming up in January, so if it just doesn't work, I'll try to get my money out of it and/or snoop around for a used G26 holster on somebody's table.

Some times I think the G26 is the PERFECT concealed carry answer and the G19 is destined for a short life in my armory. But, I do like the full size grip on the 19 and the extra capacity. It still remains to be proven that I can shoot it any better than the G26, which I've been shooting in IDPA for a couple years now and almost as well as my G34.

The idea of long car trips has heightened my interest in this method of carry.

My experience with shoulder holsters is that they take more "tinkering" than any other holster system to get it just "right" for your body. I just stand in front of the mirror with the unloaded gun in the holster and tinker away. After awhile you will get it right and then you will really like the result. Patience.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I tinkered with it some more yesterday and can't get rid of the bulges in front ... nor do I like the bulge sticking out from the side. Sooooo. I ordered a Comp-Tac Infidel today and figured I'd wear it at 3 oclock while driving and shift it to 3:30 or 4 oclock for walking around with an outer garment. Any deeper cover than that goes to the Smart Carry or the 5.11 tactical undershirt - either one with a S&W 642 Airweight and a Speed Strip.

If the Comp-Tac doesn't work or is too uncomfortable, then the G26 gets pressed into service with a SideArmor kydex at 3:30 and the G19 does home defense or car defense work. Nothing gets by for free in my household. They're all working guns or they don't stick around too long. That's why I don't buy a safe ... it works or goes away.

Links