What bellyband to buy??

What bellyband to buy??

This is a discussion on What bellyband to buy?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. New member here. Excellent site! I have a S&W M&P 40c for edc, usually carried in a crossbreed supertuck. My first post and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bellyband to buy??

What bellyband to buy??

Hello all. New member here. Excellent site!
    I have a S&W M&P 40c for edc, usually carried in a crossbreed supertuck.
    My first post and I have a question.

I want to try a bellyband. I have been researching & reading for a couple days now (not only on this forum, but many other forms also). I may or may not like the bellyband, but I have to use one and see for myself.

Which are the good ones to buy??????

These are primarily the ones I have looked at:
    Belly Band Concealment Holster - Ace Case
    Galco Holsters Underwraps Belly Band
    Defender Gun Concealment Holsters
    Lined Belly Band Holster - $24.95
    The Original Belly Band - Magills.com
    Bodyguard - Magills.com
    Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

The last one is a shoulder harness, but it doesn't look too bad.

On what I have read, alot of people recommend the Galco or the Ace, and the defender gets alot of votes also.

Here are some of my concerns based upon what I have read:
    - Do I want a bellyband with retention straps? this excludes some of the models, but alot of people said while the band does a decent job of holding the pistol, they definitely would want a strap, and alot of people say it is held just fine and a strap would just cause more problems with drawing.
    - Is the 4" wide good enough? again, some people said it was fine, others insisted on getting a 6" (which really limits my options)
    - If you carry extra items (mags, light, knife), are these items secure around the band also?

I was leaning toward the Galco...it gets good reviews and has several pockets, but it has no retention straps.
    I like the defender...you can order accessory pockets for extra items and a thumb break, but it only comes standard with one pocket for a mag, and it only comes in black (I have read white/flesh color is better suited for more types of clothing).
    The original bellyband and the upgraded bodyguard look decent, but it seems no one is using these.
    The Ace got some decent reviews, but to me it looks like an elastic band with some pockets sewn on, whereas the others look more like it was made to be a holster.

Like I said, I was really leaning toward the Galco, but after reading all I have, I am now more confused than ever!

I am looking for some input and advice.

Here is my first post and it is very long winded, I am rambling about things, and I am still asking for advice.

Thanks for putting up with me!!

many mango seasons ago i tried the original belley band, it worked, but i could not wear it long. don't know why, just could not. over the years you will have a foot locker full of holsters that did not work for you. or as i say, at one time you become a member of the "holster of the month club".
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I had a hard time just finding a belly band... Let alone the "right" one. I just tryed some on (make sure you take everything you wish to hold) and went from there... I went with one that has the holding areas sewn to the belly band, as im an active person I felt better having it secured tightly to my body.
    I went with a (this is what is on my tag) usgalco.com, medium 36-40, umbkmed

Quote Originally Posted by Inflames View Post
    I had a hard time just finding a belly band... Let alone the "right" one.
    I am in the same situation, I don't know what one to get!

That one is at the top of my list.
    Does it hold everything securely or does it flop around?
    Do you have the retention straps? If not, do you wish it had them or is it ok without?

The Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster at the bottom of your list is the one I have used for over 10 years. I wore it so much I'm working on my second one.

It is very comfortable. You can wear it 18-20 hours and hardly know you are carrying a gun. The shoulder straps help distribute the weight of the gun across your whole chest.

It is also very easy to adjust without having to remove it. You can give it a quick slide to adjust the gun tucked farther back under your arm pit or slide it a little forward with ease.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

EAJ
    I was interested in the Galco for my SIG P238, but I'm told that it flops around in the holster, which appears more suitable for compact to full size pistols.

I tried the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster with the P238. It fit fine around the chest, but the straps show through a white dress shirt and were uncomfortably short for me. When I attached the elastic straps to the front of the holster it moved the holster higher on my chest, which I found uncomfortable. Had the straps been longer the holster would have stayed put a little lower on my chest. With a pistol that small I could have also used it as a belly or chest band without the support straps however they’re sewn on the back of the holster and would have to be cut off.

My latest is an extra-small Smart Carry, which works fine with my SIG P238.

I came across this one last night. It isn't a bellyband, but looked interesting. Comfort Carry.

I have the Original Bellyband and the Galco and they both equaly as well. The trick is to not use to large or heavy of a gun. A J frame is the largest thing I would carry and make darn sure you have a thick undershirt on underneath the band.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have the Defender and am very happy with it. But then, I wear dark dress "t shirts" under a sport jacket a lot.

They will customize it a number of ways. I ordered the safety strap and ended up not finding it useful. If you get the right size band it shouldn't be needed IMO.

+1 for the Defender. If I am wearing anything other than jeans I will use it. I have carried Sig's, H&K's and now a Glock in it with no problems.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

EAJ
    Does the Defender have any type of backing on it for comfort or to prevent chafing? Thank you.

The defender is just an elastic band with a place for your weapon and a place for a spare magazine.

No backing and some days I wish it had some. I typically wear a tee-shirt always (learned that in the Navy) so chafing really isn't an issue.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by taker View Post
    I am in the same situation, I don't know what one to get!

That one is at the top of my list.
    Does it hold everything securely or does it flop around?
    Do you have the retention straps? If not, do you wish it had them or is it ok without?
    There is just a shaped pocket that the gun slides into. I carry a full sizt FNP-9. I dont carry anything else. I have a 16 round clip and feel that is enough for around town carry. I wear large tee shirts and jeans most of the time and no one can tell I have it on. I like it and perfer it over my inside the pants holster. I will try and get some pictures for you and figure out how to post them.

I
    WOW! What a useless web site. VERY, difficult to find what you are looking for. Wasting their money to support that web site.
    Paul
    Springfield XD(M) 9mm, Springfield XD Sub-compact 9mm, Kel Tec PF9
    09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application
    10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
    12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
    12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

There is just a shaped pocket that the gun slides into. I carry a full sizt FNP-9. I dont carry anything else. I have a 16 round clip and feel that is enough for around town carry. I wear large tee shirts and jeans most of the time and no one can tell I have it on. I like it and perfer it over my inside the pants holster. I will try and get some pictures for you and figure out how to post them.
    A picture would be great.
    Does your full size stay where you put it or does it want to move around and possibly fall out?

Quote Originally Posted by taker View Post
    A picture would be great.
    Does your full size stay where you put it or does it want to move around and possibly fall out?
    The belly band hanst really streched out so I dont know how it will feel after more use.. I have kept my gun in it to try and help shape the leather... It feels secure to me, no moving around. My girl friend is gone tonight so i will see if I can do some self timer shots and get pictures for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links