Uncle Mike's IWB Holser

Uncle Mike's IWB Holser

This is a discussion on Uncle Mike's IWB Holser within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to obtain opinions on the Uncle Mike IWB holster that I use for my S&W 6906. I place it at the 1:30 position. ...

Uncle Mike's IWB Holser

Just wanted to obtain opinions on the Uncle Mike IWB holster that I use for my S&W 6906. I place it at the 1:30 position. It feels comfortable and I am able to draw with no problem.

I'm sure it may work for you, but most prefer holsters that are made for a specific firearm...boned to an exact fit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am comfortable with it. Stay tuned for the latest photos of my Chief's Special 45. I am hoping to pick it that puppy tomorrow! I think I am turning into a S&W 3rd Generation addict.

Opinions? Sounds like it's working well for you. You may be your own best opinion on that matter. How long do you think this holster will last you the way you use it? Two years, five years.........? If you've got faith in it and it's comfy and retains your pistol, and you'd feel comfortable doing all of the rides at the county fair with it.....then there's not much more to be ascertained here. I have a few Uncle Mike's kydex magazine holders that work very well for me in single stack and double stack. They are very modular, and I even use them in competition.
    Tell me it's one of their kydex holsters and not a ballistic nylon with velcro straps.

VIP Member
    Once you've tried a quality holster you'll realize what a piece of junk Uncle Mike's is.

It'll hold you over till you can get one though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I am in the market for a new holster though. I would appreciate some advice on a good IWB. Ram, I confess, its ballistic nylon. I would prefer leather.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    I am in the market for a new holster though. I would appreciate some advice on a good IWB. Ram, I confess, its ballistic nylon. I would prefer leather.
    TT Gunleather makes a very nice IWB holster!

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I would start with something like a High Noon "Mr. Softy", until you decide on a custom holster. It's way better than an Uncle Mikes. It's made of leather, it's a stock item and it's not expensive. I have a bunch of them and are very happy with them.

They are a forum supporter and have great customer service.

High Noon "Mr. Softy"
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Uncle Mikes does make kydex holsters for those who don't know. I know the ballistic nylon holster must be comfortable....especially in the position you're wearing it, and it's a straight drop instead of canted. To try things out in the same position with a straight drop leather clip on IWB holster, I think will be more uncomfortable for you, but the Don Hume holsters might be the first step up from where you are now. I can't see how things are working for you now when you carry where you do and try to sit down without everything ejecting. Personally, I don't like retention straps or thumb breaks, and if I absolutely had to carry in the position you do, I'd just go nekkid style (no holster) appendix on an empty chamber. This is my quickie method for at home...taking out the trash, when I've taken off my daily carry gear and semi relaxed. I'll go ahead and tell it like it is for me since I don't care what kind of flak I'll get over telling it. Other than that, maybe it's time to try out some other positions around your waist for carry. I really like my Galco SkyOps holster...very comfortable and dependable, but it has a cant which just don't do well for appendix carry for me. Still...if it's working well for you and not squishing out every time you move, or digging into your gut, then you'll have plenty of time to look around and try new things.

I am going to take a look holsters mentioned such as High Noon and Don Hume etc in this thread. To date I have never had any trouble with the Uncle Mikes as far as sitting, getting in/out of a car etc. I think what helps is that I skinny with no gut. But in the position indicated, there is no printing whatsoever. I know Uncle Mike's is cheap and flimsy. With respect to leather will the slide present marking over time from drawing/holstering?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I started with Uncle Mike's generic pocket holsters when I first started carrying. After a few weeks of daily use, I started seeing black residue all over my S&W Airlite Titanium snubby. I realized this was degraded material from the holster. I replaced it and the same thing happened again. I ended up selling all the Uncle Mike holsters at a garage sale( including one new in the package ) for $.50 each. You can't beat a quality leather one.

I looked at the Don Hume Waist band Clip on (Model H715-M T.B) and (Model H715-soft Pocket). I also looked at the agent 3 Slot. Just want to get more ideas. Is it that disadvantageous to wear a Clip-On IWB Holster? So many possibilities. I am just looking for a holster that has max concealment, reliable in construction, and not an effort to setup.

VIP Member
    No, the clip is not the problem. High Noon uses a clip that turns under the belt at the bottom, to keep the holster from coming out when you draw. Some clips don't enclose the belt and can allow the holster to come out with the gun. Many holster makers use clips.

The benefit of leather is the fit of the holster and the retention. Leather will last you many years.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links