which owb is most concealable ?

This is a discussion on which owb is most concealable ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking of getting the Fist side snap for my first holster. My thinking was that I can take the holster on and off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which owb is most concealable ?

I've been thinking of getting the Fist side snap for my first holster. My thinking was that I can take the holster on and off easily without taking the belt off.
    I know a paddle holster does that even better, but I keep hearing that paddle holsters don't hold things as tight to the body.

Then I've been looking at the super holster thread, and see that the overwhelming majority of posters there, use IWB.
    I don't want to do that right now, as my waistline already forces me to wear pants that are to big for my legs and butt. Making it even bigger is not an attractive option for me.

Before I purchase, I may want to consider other styles though. So I'm wondering, which type of OWB holds things the flattest to the body. Would it be the belt slide type or the side snap type or something else ?

Another quick question along those lines. If I were to go for a belt loop holster, I can forsee when I'm going into somewhere that I don't want to take the gun, to just take the gun out of the holster and leave the holster on the belt. Heck, even for hours, maybe going to work, just leave the holster un-gunned, on the belt. It is still concealed. Put the gun in the car in a pocket holster, and reshoe when I get back to the car.
    Does anyone do that ?

Thanks in advance.

Floyd

In general, pancake style holsters will pull the gun against the body the most. However, different considerations also need to be taken into depending on your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by shamster View Post
    In general, pancake style holsters will pull the gun against the body the most. However, different considerations also need to be taken into depending on your needs.
    thanks. If committed to strong side hip OWB what other consideration is there other than the need/desire to remove the holster without undoing the belt ?

I think that the biggest factor in whether you can conceal well OWB is really the gun that you are carrying. Most importantly the width. Second most important would be length. I tried concealing my Glock 19 OWB and while I could do it under fairly heavy clothing (Iím a pretty small guy) it wasnít what I would consider to be well concealed. Then I got my Taurus 709. I can conceal that OWB when wearing just a t-shirt as a cover garment because itís so thin.

As far as a easy on/easy off holster I think you are going to be pretty hard pressed to find something for OWB that offers good concealment. However if you do please let me know as I will but one in a heart beat!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you want a OWB holster with the option to carry IWB at a later date check out the Black Ops http://www.purekustom.com/purekustomholsters_new.htm
    Last edited by varob; October 29th, 2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: .
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Well, there are lots of considerations. Ease of draw and reholstering is one. For example, pancakes, due to the nature of their construction, are often more prone to collapsing when the gun is out, especially for certain people with a narrow waist. The same narrow waisted people may also have a problem with getting a smooth draw because of how the "wings" of the holster pull into the waist so abruptly. I myself have a narrow waist, and while I don't really have a problem with holsters binding and collapsing, one thing I don't like is how these holsters take up a lot of real estate on my belt. When you are skinny, every inch matters.

Other holster designs may not pull the gun in as tightly, but may be easier to draw and reholster. Comfort may also be improved for some.

Another important consideration is your clothing selection and your movements. With the right clothing, you can conceal quite a bit. If you like to wear fitted trendy outfits, you are going to have a hard time even concealing a pocket gun. I used to obsess over finding the closest fitting holster, even at the expense of other factors. However, I have learned that true concealment is obtained as an entire package, not just holster selection. These days, I prefer a holster that offers a good blend of concealment, size, retention, and speed. Finding the right cover garment is the key to concealment. Once you have the right setup, you also need to watch how you move. If picking something up, don't bend over from the waist, or you will risk printing. Squat down and pick it up. If giving someone a hug, underhook their arms so they don't risk feeling your pistol.

Unfortunately, holsters are one of those things where you have to experiment with. Every person is built differently, and you likely aren't going to find your ideal carry rig on your first purchase. What may be a good option is to find a holster maker or retailer who has a generous return/exchange policy. Also, maybe try a local gun store that carries common mass produced brands (ie. Desantis, Safariland, etc), and see if you can try them on. Maybe even purchase one and return it later if you find that you want something nicer or different. This way, you can see what works for you or not, without spending hundreds of dollars on nice holsters that will just end up in the proverbial holster drawer.

Finally, here are some words of wisdom I got from Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch fame) on CCW...
    1. Carrying a handgun is going to be life altering. You MUST arrange your clothing and lifestyle around your gun, not the other way around.
    2. Carrying a handgun is not supposed to be comfortable. It is supposed to be comfortING.

Thanks for giving me all that to chew on Shamster.
    Yea I was wondering about hugging people. Just use the old "underhook hug" haha. Cool.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    I've been thinking of getting the Fist side snap for my first holster. My thinking was that I can take the holster on and off easily without taking the belt off.
    I know a paddle holster does that even better, but I keep hearing that paddle holsters don't hold things as tight to the body.

Then I've been looking at the super holster thread, and see that the overwhelming majority of posters there, use IWB.
    I don't want to do that right now, as my waistline already forces me to wear pants that are to big for my legs and butt. Making it even bigger is not an attractive option for me.

Before I purchase, I may want to consider other styles though. So I'm wondering, which type of OWB holds things the flattest to the body. Would it be the belt slide type or the side snap type or something else ?

Another quick question along those lines. If I were to go for a belt loop holster, I can forsee when I'm going into somewhere that I don't want to take the gun, to just take the gun out of the holster and leave the holster on the belt. Heck, even for hours, maybe going to work, just leave the holster un-gunned, on the belt. It is still concealed. Put the gun in the car in a pocket holster, and reshoe when I get back to the car.
    Does anyone do that ?

Thanks in advance.

Floyd
    All the time. If I have to disarm, it's usually a quick stop at the Post Office or the school. I just secure the firearm and make sure my cover shirt covers the holster. For a brief stop I don't bother taking the holster off, just keep it covered.
    I use mainly OWB holsters and the two styles I have found that work best for me are the scabbard style or the pancake style.
    I had trouble finding a pancake holster for my S&W 686+ that rode low enough for me, a short torso and a big frame gun can put the grip way to high, Rob at Simply Rugged made one for me with a drop built in and it is the perfect holster.
    No matter if you choose a pre-made or custom holster, be sure you get a belt made well enough to support the weight of what you carry.
    If your belt doesn't support your firearm well enough, even the best holster will sag away from your body.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Here is a few to suggest....Galco Concealable, Allessi CQC or CQC-S, and the Mitch Rosen Premier Snap. All very good quality and very concealable.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I don't find IWB confortable, OWB in the 4 o'clock position is what works for most of us. I have used a lot of different holsters over the years and the one I love and wear everyday is the Bianchi Carryloc, simply superb and of course a higher riding pancake for the best concealment.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I've just converted from IWB to OWB carry. I am presently using a Fist #12 which holds the gun right up next to the body...works extremely well.
    I am waiting on the Fist #18, the OWB paddle holster...this is it here...
    FIST, INC.
    I'm still waiting for it; I expect it in a week or two.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    raven concealment makes a kydex holster that can be used OWB or IWB and it fits real close to your body while wearing it OWB.

Retsup,
    What are you carrying in that #12 ?
    Do you think the #18 paddle will hold things as tightly for you ? I would be interested in knowing that, for sure.
    I have been eyeing the #2, but depending on what you find out, I may go for the #18 also.

Thanks,
    floyd

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've just converted from IWB to OWB carry. I am presently using a Fist #12 which holds the gun right up next to the body...works extremely well.
    I am waiting on the Fist #18, the OWB paddle holster...this is it here...
    FIST, INC.
    I'm still waiting for it; I expect it in a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    raven concealment makes a kydex holster that can be used OWB or IWB and it fits real close to your body while wearing it OWB.

That's a pretty nice looking belt and holster setup.
    Thanks for the pics.

+1. Love my Raven... VERY close fitting OWB. Easily concealable both OWB and IWB. With hooks it converts to a sweet fitting IWB rig. The kydex is so thin you might want to consider it. Can't say enough about Raven concealment.

---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links