CQC for big guys?

CQC for big guys?

This is a discussion on CQC for big guys? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello everybody, new to the forum just wandering if any of you big guys have tried a blackhawk CQC paddle holster. I have one for ...

Thread: CQC for big guys?

CQC for big guys?

hello everybody, new to the forum just wandering if any of you big guys have tried a blackhawk CQC paddle holster. I have one for my rossi 38sp snubbie. its not too bad but i think i might could get a little more concealable holster.

I like IWB.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I agree....IWB is the best way for me to conceal, and I am a BIG guy too.

I like IWB best, but I use a CQC with the paddle. I just use a hoodie to cover it or with a jacket.
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

I have NOT tried a Blackhawk CQC holster, but I can certainly comment on IWB vs OWB for big guys (6 ft 350#) and many holsters specifically as I have tried many and used to sell top quality leather holsters on the net.

First of all, OWB is always going to be more comfortable than IWB. IWB is usually going to be more concealable, but I don't think I print with either. Nobody has ever told me that I was showing, and my friends that know I carry sometimes ask me if I am, when I am :). I have a problem with my pants slipping down and although suspenders are the answer I don't always like to wear them. A wider spread profile holster like a Bulman Dual Loop, or a Del Fatti ISP-LP, or a Sparks Watch Six works for me, YMMV. As I said, OWB is more comfortable and my all time favorite OWB is an Alessi CQC-S which I wear right at 3:00. I think it's safe to say that it's the most copied OWB holster in the world and that almost all concealment holster makers have their version. Nuff said ! Sadly, Lou Alessi passed away and while the company lives on you may wait quite a while for one. The other close clones like a Bulman QRH are a very long wait too. A quick and great solution is a Minotaur Gladiator, available from comp-tac.com, with leather next to the body and a kydex scabbard. The loops are very well spread and the design holds your weapon close to the body. You can get one in about two weeks last I knew and they are amazingly comfortable. A thinner gun like a 1911 or a Kahr or a H&K P7M8 will disappear under a t-shirt or a polo.

I suspect that you are considering a holster based on price alone. Like I said, I have no experience with Blackhawk, but I don't think a concealment holster is a place to economize. Good luck...Tom

I have a Blackhawk SERPA for practically every medium to large gun I own. However, I wouldn't consider them for concealed carry. For me, they are range holsters or for open carry. Well made and secure for sure, but I don't think they were designed to keep firearms close to your body.

I am a big guy too (6' 285lbs). I usually carry IWB. On the less expensive end I use the Comp-Tac Infidel or Crossbreed Supertuck. Kydex makes for fast presentations and I like the stiffness when I know I'll be on my feet most of the time. I choose leather when I know I'll be sitting a bunch. My leather rigs are a Sparks VMII (IWB) and an RGrizzle Workin Man (OWB). I agree that OWB carry is more comfortable, but I carry bigger guns and need to keep things close to my body. Living in Vegas doesn't help. Not a lot of heavy clothing needed most of the year...
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Sigs: GrayGuns P229R, P220ST, P220R SAO, P228, P226, P239, GSR 1911 HKs: P7, P30L, USP45f, HK45 Others: S&W 1006, 1076, Colt Delta Elite, Fusion Scout XL 10mm

Welcome to the forum.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks guys for the input, I have been thinking about the crossbreed super tuck think i might try an IWB that one looks the most comfortable, again i appreciate the advice.

i'm a bigger guy and the crossbreed is a GREAT Holster.

feels quite comfortable. i would highly recommend it.
    "There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." - Edmund Burke

It all depends on what I am carrying and what I am wearing. Sometimes I like to use my Galco FLETCH or Milt Sparks VM-2. Like I said it all depends on what I wearing.

I have to agree wit SIG229R about the Blackhawk SERPA holster, it is a great range holster or duty carry holster. Yet for CCW I would have to look for a different holster. The SERPA does not hold the weapon close to your body so it sticks out further then I would like for a CCW holster.

I use Galco Summer Comfort or Milt Sparks VM2 for IWB. For OWB I like Galco FLETCH holster.
    Attached Images

Sponsored Links