Do you wear a "special" gun belt?

This is a discussion on Do you wear a "special" gun belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another pretty straightforward poll here for everyone to chime in on... Do you wear a special gun belt? I started carry a few weeks ago ...

View Poll Results: Do you wear a "special" gun belt for carry?

Voters
523. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

409 78.20%
  • No

114 21.80%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wear a "special" gun belt?

Do you wear a "special" gun belt?

Another pretty straightforward poll here for everyone to chime in on...

Do you wear a special gun belt? I started carry a few weeks ago and have been carrying with my usual leather belt that I quite like. I don't notice any control or stability issues with it with my Minotaur MTAC and P239, but I'm curious if this is just inexperience.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth shelling out the cash for a specialty gun belt? I had a look at Comp-Tac's and they are up around $80, which is a little pricey. Anyone know of anything more affordable but still high quality?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yes, you wouldn't believe the difference in stability with a quality gun belt. Crossbreed sells them for $60. A Cabela's Double Duty runs about $30 and so does the Wilderness Instructor.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I voted no only because I have not purchased one yet. I do plan on that being my next purchase.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

I use a black leather Galco belt that is a little thicker and more rigid than dress belts. It works well and supports the gun/holster very well.
    No one ever said it'd be easy.

Wilderness Tactical

I own a Wilderness Tactical with my Crossbreed. I work outside and casual dress is the norm... not only is it very stable and comfortable but it allows a much more broad range of adjustment then a standard belt. You can dial in exactly how snug a fit that you need day by day instead of trying to cinch up to the next belt hole.

Every day.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

When I carry OWB I use a gun belt. The one I mostly turn to is the Galco COP double leather belt. It is dressy enough for any occasion and keeps my holsters where they should be as well as being very comfortable.

bosco

I have a beltman 1/25 dress belt and one of these for everyday.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I have a Crossbreed gun belt. I use it at work and when I'm off. At work it holds my company portable radio and at home it holds my holster. Very sturdy belt.
    SCGunLover1

I suppose one could call it "special." It's simply firm enough, thick enough and comfortable enough to support ~35oz of gear for the day, day after day. It does happen to come from a leather maker who specializes in firearms-oriented belts. But then, I've had such belts for so long that I no longer view them as special. They're simply well-made, durable, functional and comfortable ... exactly what I look for in a belt. Wouldn't be so "special," I suppose, if other belt makers woke up and smelled the coffee.

Double-bullhide units from The Beltman, here. I've got a couple of 1.5 inchers, without stiffeners, and a 1.25" with stiffener.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes, I wear a Beltman double horsehide 1.5".

Designer belts are a no-go. They're not engineered to carry firearms. They will stretch and this will lead to printing when you are carrying concealed.

I ruined one of my favorite leather belts when I started to conceal carry because I didn't think I needed a 'gun belt'. Lesson learned. The upside is I now have a belt that I love, is hand-crafted and can carry my CZ 75, Surefire 6P, spare magazine pouch and multi tool with no stretching issues.

A good gun belt is a great investment.
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

pax
    Huge, significant difference in comfort & concealability with a good belt designed for distributing the weight of the gun evenly around the waist. Heard someone remark the other day (and it's true!) that they went through holster after holster looking for a good one that they never could find. Everything they tried was uncomfortable in some way: too low, too high, too obvious, too difficult to draw from. They finally found one that would work, sort of, and figured that's just the way holsters are & they'd have to get used to it. Then one day not long after that, they bought a belt designed for concealed carry, and when they did, somehow magically all the "bad" holsters in their discard box actually turned out to be useful and good! The "bad" holsters just needed to be worn as designed, supported by the type of belt they were designed to be used with.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Is it worth some money to have a heavy duty belt for carrying? Absolutely.

Do you need to spend $70-80 for that belt? Nope.

Cabela's Double Duty Belt

$25 will get you everything you need, although I hated the buckle and replaced it with one I had on another belt, so you might want to figure in $10 or so, if you don't have any other buckles lying around that you could put on it.

Distinguished Member
    I use a Rafter Black Shark 1 1/2" ( great belt ), that was before they went all the way down the tube. Now I would get a Beltman Bullhide. You would be lucky to even get it from Rafter now, and there is know telling where the quality has gone.

Spec-Ops Better BDU Belt
    This is what I use very good for the money its my favorite piece of clothing!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links