Are Sig 1911 Holsters different??

This is a discussion on Are Sig 1911 Holsters different?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Thinking of getting a Sig 1911 Nitron Carry (4.25"Barrel, no rail). Anyone know if it uses the same holsters as standard 1911 Commanders? Thanks...

Thread: Are Sig 1911 Holsters different??

Hi,

Thinking of getting a Sig 1911 Nitron Carry (4.25"Barrel, no rail). Anyone know if it uses the same holsters as standard 1911 Commanders?

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

While there are slide contour differences (Sig wanted their 1911's to look like Sigs....go figure) I've been led to believe that they will fit a standard commander holster. This info was relative to an RCS model - which is a commander top-end and there are pictures on this forum from twin carry of his C3 (same as an RCS w/o the melt job) in a Sparks VMII. I've been waiting 9 mos. for my RCS - already have the holster (also a VMII). As a hedge, I had the holster made from horsehide, since it can't be boned as tightly as cowhide and, I am theorizing, will be more forgiving of non-Colt gun contours. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Endowment Member

On our holsters the Sigs are a 1911 clone, except for the different slide contours, which will not make a difference on non molded holsters. An example would be Bare Asset or something like this which is wet molded to the gun you order for Public Secret w/clip Other wet molded holsters that are highly detailed like this Slide Guard , you will see the difference, but it will still work. Now the rail guns are a different story. Some makers rails are close and some are not.

Best thing to do is ask the maker if they have a casting of your exact gun so you know what to expect.

Take care
    Alex

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    My personal experience with a 5 inch Sig 1911 has been that they will not fit a standard 1911 holster. Kinda like the Tauris 1911s there just a bit wider and there are differences in the trigger guard area. With a cheap (Uncle Mikes, Fobus, etc) it won't be an issue but with a good leather rig such as Alessi, Sparks, etc you'll need it to be made just for the Sig.

In my experience, torrejon is correct on on this one. I have a Sig 1911 Compact Stainless and also own four other standard form 1911's. In a "looser" fitting holster like the Desantis Mini-Slide, no problems with the Sig. In a tightly formed custom holster (mine are UBG holsters) the Sig will not fit properly. Sure, you could probably force it in there, let it sit that way for a few days and make it work eventually, but you'd ruin your holster for regular 1911's. If you get a Sig, take it with you when you select the holster and try it out. If it's a tightly formed holster, you'll be out of luck.

I have a Sig 1911 RCS as said above it is aprox. a commander. It works flawlessly in a carry-loc made for an officer, I just let it hang an inch out the bottom. I also have an MTAC and bought the standard commander 1911 molded body and it is touch and go. I would not suggest doing this as it sometimes binds and could pull the holster out with it. I still use it and I feel comfotable for myself because I seemed to have worked it out. I also had a custom built leather IWB similar to a Galco summer II. It was cheaper than any IWB currently commercially offered. It was less than $50.

It is a great 1911 after a little break-in. Very accurate pistol. Make sure not to limp wrist it. It will have FTF. This is true with most semi-autos, esp .40 or .45.

Sponsored Links