Shoulder Holster

Shoulder Holster

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I was wanting some opinions on a good shoulder holster rig. I will be carrying a Kahr Cw 9mm. I had never really thought ...

Thread: Shoulder Holster

Shoulder Holster

Hello,

I was wanting some opinions on a good shoulder holster rig. I will be carrying a Kahr Cw 9mm. I had never really thought about carrying this way but the other day I was out with a friend at a biker rally and noticed a guy with a shoulder holster under his "cut". I really think it would work for my daily atire. So any imput would be helpful.

Thanks
    Mark
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

I have used Galco Miami Classics for at least ten years. I have one for my 1911's and one for my Beretta. To be honest, I only carry my 1911's. The Miami Classic is comfortable, concealable, and accessable. I have found it to be exceptional.

Some people have balked at the cost and the last time I looked, the Miami Classic cost about $165. Well, a good holster runs up to $100 and more (yes, you can get them for less - say $65), a a good gunbelt runs at least $80, and mag holsters? Say $30 - I'm guessing. Well, that system just cost $175 at a cheap rate.

I carry my Classic ten-twelve hours a day comfortably.

A typical all-leather shoulder holster represents a lot of bulk and infrastructure, which may not be needed to carry so small and light a gun. Maybe look at a scaled-down design:

K.L. Null Holsters Home Page

For small pistols like the KahrCW9 It would be nice if the GALCO made their Executive Shoulder Holster for a few more pistols than they do.

I had a Bianchi C-clip something like the Galco over 30 years ago for my PPK and it felt like I wasn't wearing a gun at all. Very minimalist but ideal for smaller pistols.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    I have used Galco Miami Classics for at least ten years. I have one for my 1911's and one for my Beretta. To be honest, I only carry my 1911's. The Miami Classic is comfortable, concealable, and accessable. I have found it to be exceptional.

Some people have balked at the cost and the last time I looked, the Miami Classic cost about $165. Well, a good holster runs up to $100 and more (yes, you can get them for less - say $65), a a good gunbelt runs at least $80, and mag holsters? Say $30 - I'm guessing. Well, that system just cost $175 at a cheap rate.

I carry my Classic ten-twelve hours a day comfortably.
    I agree, I have used a custom version if this "style" for years ( often called a " Jackass")

Puffer

I have recently purchased two shoulder holster. both have worked out well and both can be purchased for less than can some of the high end models.
    High Noon Holsters
    http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/5/sg/1/

Note: The triple K can be purchased through Midway for a lot less than at the Triple K net site. However, Midways choices are fewer.

Both shoulder holsters have worked exceedingly well for me and I did not have to put out the "big bucks"!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

kpw
    The CW9 is a pretty light pistol. A Galco Classic Lite might be a nice choice for it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I won't try to change your mind, but I do want you to give due thought and consideration to the use of a shoulder holster. There are damned few users I've seen who don't cross body parts or people behind them when drawing or reholstering. If you're committed to that style of holster, please practice your draw and reholstering religiously so you can manage those without violating Rule Two.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Well, what do you need or want it to do? Do you want to carry vertical or horizontal? Do you need a double or single mag pouch for your strong side? Do you want belt tiedowns?

I would think with the Kahr, given the light weight, you'd be better off with an IWB setup. However, if you still want to try a shoulder holster, I'd definitely recommend Galco. I've said it a thousand times, for my money, their Miami Classic is the best "off the rack" leather shoulder holster on the market today. In fact, I'm hoping I'll have enough left over from this weeks paycheck to pick up the one I was eyeballing two weeks ago at the local store for my G23. A black Miami Classic he had on his wall for $159.

I loved my previous one that my USP was carried in, I'm sure I'll love this one as well.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Thank you all for all the comments. I just ordered the High Noon Under Armor Shoulder Rig. Now if it can just get here before I leave for deer season next friday everything would just be peachy.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    It would be nice if the GALCO made their Executive Shoulder Holster for a few more pistols than they do.

They do... sort of. Galco makes the Half Harness which will take any vertical holster available and Galco does make one for the CW9. The retention is the biggest difference between the regular Galco holster and the Executive. Here's mine which I oufitted with a Sig P232 holster "borrowed" from my Miami Classic.

Last edited by ripley16; November 5th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    They do... sort of. Galco makes the Half Harness which will take and vertical holster available and Galco does make one for the CW9. The retention is the biggest difference between the regular Galco holster and the Executive. Here's mine which I oufitted with a Sig P232 holster "borrowed" from my Miami Classic.

That looks like a very good setup, especially for carrying smaller handguns.

Thanks for the response and picture..

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I won't try to change your mind, but I do want you to give due thought and consideration to the use of a shoulder holster. There are damned few users I've seen who don't cross body parts or people behind them when drawing or reholstering. If you're committed to that style of holster, please practice your draw and reholstering religiously so you can manage those without violating Rule Two.

Absolutely right. Shoulder holster carry, like all forms of carry, require a lot of practice to be fast, proficient, and SAFE. The draw from a horizontal holster can easily point the muzzle at your off arm (for righties - your left bicept in paticular), not to mention the people behind you. As much as I like and prefer shoulder holsters, they require practice.

Sponsored Links