carrying without holster - Page 3

carrying without holster

This is a discussion on carrying without holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think its pretty unanimous about the safety aspects of a holster. If money is tight, check out some of the Uncle Mikes holsters. I've ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carrying without holster

I think its pretty unanimous about the safety aspects of a holster.

If money is tight, check out some of the Uncle Mikes holsters. I've also seen some cheap passport holsters as well. I've Never used them but they are certainly better than nothing. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekiller View Post
    I was wanting to know if anyone has carried without a holster. Money is tight right now and i don't have a holster for my glock 30 but i want to carry it. The other day i carried it just stuck in my belt for a little while (not chambered). It wasn't as uncomfortable as i thought it would be.

Has anyone else done this. Is it a bad idea. And are there any tips till i get a holster.
    I have carried my Glocks without a holster. I've carried appendix when I do this. Just stick it in the belt and un-tuck shirt in front. For the most part, it's out of necessity, and usually on an empty chamber. That's just me, and yes.....I've read the whole thread thus far. I live Glock, sleep with Glock, do everything with Glock......why would I not want Glock to be as close to me as my underwear? I'm not condoning the practice of nekkid carry with the Glocks, it's just that I can relate to the experience. Yes.........if I ever shoot myself you all will be the first to know, and you can say 'I told you so'. But don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    With all due respect, I disagree.

Unless the subject Glock has been grossly modified, it will have a trigger guard.
    With all due respect... I think you're splitting hairs there. Of course there is a trigger guard. That doesn't preclude any myriad of items or things getting snagged on the trigger.

I know of no reputable defensive firearms instructors who recommend carrying without a holster which covers the trigger area.

How you carry your weapon is of little concern to me. You may be world champion competition pistol shooter for all I know who doesn't use a holster.

I do know many a negligent discharges have been documented with a cause of something getting snagged on the trigger.

While a lot of them are hunting situations, not all of them are.

I also take into consideration that those asking questions may be a complete novice to firearms with very little experience handling firearms

Have I carried guns without a holster? Yes! On rare occasion... and as Ram Rod stated, usually out of necessity. I also only carry DA revolvers or DAO semi-auto's that way. But that is just me. I certainly don't advocate it as a normal mode of carry... especially for a novice.

JMHO YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    One in the pipe. Accident waiting to happen, Especially with a Glock!!!!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ....I also take into consideration that those asking questions may be a complete novice to firearms with very little experience handling firearms
    I agree. The main ingredient leading to accidental discharges is user negligence and lack of weapon handling experience.

A Clipdraw installed Glock, does not in it of itself, a dangerous weapon make.

I think we're on the same wave length....
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Basis? I would respectfully request that you provide the data used to form your opinion, specifically data referencing Glock/Clipdraw cases. I look forward to your reply.

I concur. There's a high propensity for an un-holstered loaded weapon, carried in-pocket, to experience an accidental discharge. I would not recommend this method of carry.

Basis? common sense. Not much protection of the trigger, and no fail safe safety beyond the trigger. No studies or data needed for me on that one. OP asked for advice/opinion. I gave mine. Carry how you wish, but you won't find ME carrying that way
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    One in the pipe. Accident waiting to happen, Especially with a Glock!!!!
    So you think you will have time to draw and rack the slide in a life or death scenario? IMHO I believe one in the pipe is a must for a carry weapon.

Which is further why you should use a holster.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    So you think you will have time to draw and rack the slide in a life or death scenario? IMHO I believe one in the pipe is a must for a carry weapon.

Which is further why you should use a holster.
    Huh? I make holsters...............I think I could find one around here somewhere.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Basis? common sense. Not much protection of the trigger, and no fail safe safety beyond the trigger. No studies or data needed for me on that one. OP asked for advice/opinion. I gave mine. Carry how you wish, but you won't find ME carrying that way
    Cool beans. I dig it.

BTW, the Clipdraw equipped G26 is far gone.

Good Day.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Huh? I make holsters...............I think I could find one around here somewhere.
    Can I get one with a leather engraved Chuck Norris portrait?

The only time I would be carrying a handgun without a holster is when there is a knock at the door at 1:00 AM.

It would be in my hand.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiekiller View Post
    I was wanting to know if anyone has carried without a holster. Money is tight right now and i don't have a holster for my glock 30 but i want to carry it. The other day i carried it just stuck in my belt for a little while (not chambered). It wasn't as uncomfortable as i thought it would be.

Has anyone else done this. Is it a bad idea. And are there any tips till i get a holster.
    I frequently "Mexican Carry" for short periods of time but never a Glock, or other striker fired handgun.

The guns that this works well for, and is safe, IMO, to do so with are Double Action Revolvers, 1911's and P 35's. In short, the "old school" guns, not the new "plastic" stuff.

Biker

Thanks for everyone's advice. I just got a cheap nylon holster for now. I really just wanted everyone's opinion. thanks

Never...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links