Owb carry

This is a discussion on Owb carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't much like the IWB type holsters and wear a T shirt tucked in and a shirt unbuttoned over that and my XDSC 40 ...

Thread: Owb carry

Owb carry

I don't much like the IWB type holsters and wear a T shirt tucked in and a shirt unbuttoned over that and my XDSC 40 in a Don Hume holster at 3 oclock OWB.
    When Im outside like on a windy day walking maybe up to a store,the shirt seems to fly up and expose the gun and the holster ..any ideas for this?
    Im afraid somebody in the parking lot may see the gun before I get in the store.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

No one knows until the wind blows, huh? Where're my No Nonsense? If it's THAT windy, you can keep your strong arm against your side or button your shirt. I wear buttoned, loose, untucked sport or golf shirts, carry OWB, and have never had a problem. In SC, that used to be considered "flashing" and you could be charged for it. I believe they did away with that, and an accidental exposure isn't a violation. Your mileage may vary. If you're carrying legally, in a legal place, you should be ok.

Simply tuck a bit of your shirt behind the pistola until you're out of the wind.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I'll typically untuck the undershirt and cover the gun... or put my strong side hand in my pocket holding part of the shirt...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

What's to worry about here actually? Kansas is for the most part open carry. In my state only conceal carry for now. Of course I become conscious as to what happens and under what conditions with my methods and means. I've been down the road you're on, and quite frankly.....I don't live to carry...I carry to live. Incidents that reveal your status weigh heavier in your own mind than they do with others who wouldn't care to guess. I'm not saying that being haphazard with your wears should be commonplace after time, it's just that being diligent in your methods won't always get your 100% satisfaction rating no matter how hard you try. Live and learn, adjust accordingly, and always feel comfortable no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Snip button your shirt. Snip
    + 1

I wear the same combination of shirts. I will typically button the lower half or so of the buttons to keep the wind from blowing open. TX-JB hit on my other trick which is to just put my strong-side hand in my front jeans pocket, and then use my forearm to lock the shirt down. Once inside or out of the wind take the hand out of the pocket and go on with my day.

Maybe clip a button or pin (NRA Pin?) on the bottom of the shirt for weight.Or what about adding a small piece of velcro? Like a piece on the holster and one on the shirt.

What's to worry about here actually? Kansas is for the most part open carry.
    States that allow both OC and CC usually have two sets of rules for both. One rule is usually, "If it's concealed, it must stay concealed. If it's open, it must stay open."

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    States that allow both OC and CC usually have two sets of rules for both. One rule is usually, "If it's concealed, it must stay concealed. If it's open, it must stay open."
    Please cite a statute or ordinance that is an example. In 25 years of carrying I have never read such a thing -- it makes absolutely no sense.

C Paul Lincoln

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by kspilot536 View Post
    I don't much like the IWB type holsters and wear a T shirt tucked in and a shirt unbuttoned over that and my XDSC 40 in a Don Hume holster at 3 oclock OWB.
    When Im outside like on a windy day walking maybe up to a store,the shirt seems to fly up and expose the gun and the holster ..any ideas for this?
    Im afraid somebody in the parking lot may see the gun before I get in the store.
    Thanks
    That's usually the way I've carry. On windy days, button the bottom 2 buttons. A high ride holster helps as well.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Please cite a statute or ordinance that is an example. In 25 years of carrying I have never read such a thing -- it makes absolutely no sense.

C Paul Lincoln
    I can't cite specific statutes and I'm too lazy to look, but in my CCW class I was told that poorly hidden concealed carry does not constitute open carry. It is considered brandishing, at least where I live.

Open carry is legal in most of Las Vegas (and Nevada) and fairly straight-forward. However, a guy who is carrying concealed OWB and lets his shirt fly open wouldn't be considered an "open carrier". If that were the case then why wouldn't everyone just carry all the time, and claim "open carry!" when someone sees their rig?

Depending on the situation he could be cited or arrested, and in my opinion rightfully so. If you are going to carry concealed, then it's your responsibility to keep it concealed.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Sigs: GrayGuns P229R, P220ST, P220R SAO, P228, P226, P239, GSR 1911 HKs: P7, P30L, USP45f, HK45 Others: S&W 1006, 1076, Colt Delta Elite, Fusion Scout XL 10mm

I can't cite specific statutes and I'm too lazy to look, but in my CCW class I was told that poorly hidden concealed carry does not constitute open carry. It is considered brandishing, at least where I live.
    Most states that support both open and concealed carry do, in fact, have completely different sets of rules that govern each carry mode. To assume that "sloppy" concealed carry, if detected, will be regarded as open carry is, in my experience, not a good assumption.

The old axiom "concealed means concealed" certainly applies here and achieving concealment is 100% in the hands of the CCW carrier.

If the wind blows a shirt to reveal a concealed weapon - "fix it" immediately.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links