Supertuck- to cut or not to cut?

This is a discussion on Supertuck- to cut or not to cut? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Wilson KZ45 Compact that has the mag release on the side profile of the poly grip instead of around the front profile ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supertuck- to cut or not to cut?

Supertuck before & after pics

I carry a Wilson KZ45 Compact that has the mag release on the side profile of the poly grip instead of around the front profile a bit like most standard 1911 grips. This caused a problem with the Supertuck because the mag release maintained contact with the leather so any pressure to the holster would release the mag (not good - function over form needed here). I was getting ready to send mine back until I read these posts regarding trimming the holster. I love the feel of the holster so I decided to trim it. Well, I'm glad I did. Not only did the trimming relieve the contact between the mag release and the leather, it also gave me a much better initial grip for unholstering. Here are some pics:
    Before trimming (stock):

After trimming:

Backside picture (notice the mag release free from contact):
    More life,
    Sully

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the pics Sully

I have the ST for my Glock 26 and I like the way it holds the gun. I never really thought about the magazine release touching the inside of the holster. The release wraps around the front of the grip, so it seems like it would have to be a pretty hard and long bump to get it to activate.

Has anyone had their Glock release the mag while still in their holster? It has never happened to me, but I wanted to check with others.

TxGun

I also did the cut on the Supertuck. It is a heck of a lot easier draw and the grip on the pistol is ready to fire. Without the cut during the draw I had to reposition my hand higher on the grip working up to the beaver tail.

I used a pair of aviation snips and #100 grit sandpaper to chase the edges.

For the outline to cut I simply held the pistol grip and marked along my thumb.

After I smoothed the edges with #100 grit I used a black marker to blend.
    I used the Dremel with a round sanding drum to notch the mag release.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I ordered mine with the combat cut and really like it. I say cut it yourself, it's about function not looks. IMO

I can't really tell if they burnish the edge of their leather or just leave it rough but if they burnish and you want to match it fairly well you can do it with a little elbow grease.

Take some bees wax and rub it into the edge fairly thick then take a smooth object(sharpie tube) or cloth wheel on a drill and run it over the edge until it gets nice and smooth the way you want it:)

There are better tutorials out there if you search but that's an easy way to do it without much for tools.

On the mag release topic I think it depends on the model of gun and how extended the mag release is, on my military style 1911 I haven't had a problem at all. On more extended mag releases I can see it being able to trigger a mag drop. I also think your grips might come into play, mine are thick enough that the holster would really have to be thin and bunch into that area to trigger the mag release.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    On the mag release topic I think it depends on the model of gun and how extended the mag release is, on my military style 1911 I haven't had a problem at all. On more extended mag releases I can see it being able to trigger a mag drop. I also think your grips might come into play, mine are thick enough that the holster would really have to be thin and bunch into that area to trigger the mag release.
    I agree on the 1911's mag release. After I did the cut and looked at the finished product... the mag release was almost uncovered (photo) so I thought what the heck and took off enough to uncover just for a little peace/piece of mind. It may be more of an issue on the extended mag release as you said especially with the ultra thin 1911 grips.

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

On the Glock, the mag release is curved around the grip, so I cannot see how it can be accidently pushed in far enough to release.

Sorry I do not have a handy camera.

TxGun

A Dremel works great, just make your line with a pencil and go slowly.
    I have been making my own and made mine with a combat cut. Cutting the Kydex is super easy and comes out nice on a band saw. that will not be and option for you unless you remove the rivets to take it apart, I use Chicago screws.

I would post pics but my wife has misplaced the lead to charge the camera. At least that's my story.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

jon
    I have one for my M&P9c, regular, and another for my Glock 30 with combat cut.
    I much prefer the combat cut, but it is simple and cheaper to DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    I have one for my M&P9c, regular, and another for my Glock 30 with combat cut.
    I much prefer the combat cut, but it is simple and cheaper to DIY.
    And more precise!

One size fits all never much worked for TheShadow

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I cut mine also, then sanded it and hit it with some edge dressing. It did not affect comfort at all and makes for a more secure grip coming out of the holster. Before the cut I was having to jam my thumb into the leather pretty hard to get a solid grip and it didn't feel too great. I think it's best to do the cut yourself since everyone is built differently.
    Exactly what I did.

Just got mine in. Im not sure if I want to cut it or not.

After having it for a couple of months, I definitely want to cut it.

I've got the combat cut. I highly recommend it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links