Galco explorer vertical shoulder rig opinions?

This is a discussion on Galco explorer vertical shoulder rig opinions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'am thinking of getting one of these with thair SSII harness and off side tiedown,I can get it from lightning arms at alot cheaper prices ...

Thread: Galco explorer vertical shoulder rig opinions?

Galco explorer vertical shoulder rig opinions?

I'am thinking of getting one of these with thair SSII harness and off side tiedown,I can get it from lightning arms at alot cheaper prices then from galco. I was going to get it for my 5" colt 1911 anyone here have one of these rigs or experiance with it? I used to have galco's SSII rig and carried a glock 17 in it quite sucessfully,so I'am thinking a vertical rig would be better thanks for any input guys.

2. Remove Ads

Lots of people who work in exec-protection type jobs like shoulder rigs if they're driving a lot. Of those I know who do use them, many prefer the vertical carry option.

I was considering the galco vertical myself for those times when I'm going to be in a car for a long time...was even trying to find a brand which would carry the gun vertically on the left and a radio vertically on the right, just to get all that weight off my belt. Just wondering where to put my magazines if I do this, though...thinking of using two single pouches, one in front and one behind the holster at belt level.

The Explorer model doesn't seem to come in a 1911 model, tho (nor does it come in a SIG 229 model for me)...the regular vertical holster seems to be the one you need.

Only thing that gives me pause about the shoulder rigs in general is the inability to get to the gun if I'm physically tied up with someone. It's no longer on my strong side, easily accessible to my right hand while I push someone away/fight them off with my left. If I manage to get a hand on the grips, it's still easy to prevent me from drawing/presenting the gun.

I don't think they're an appreciable amount slower once you've learned to draw with them, though, and I find the vertical position lessens the muzzle-sweeping issues some people have with them. (You can start turning/pushing the muzzle directly towards the target as you clear leather, then rotate your wrist to orient the gun properly as you exend the arm.)

AX

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX
    I was considering the galco vertical myself for those times when I'm going to be in a car for a long time...was even trying to find a brand which would carry the gun vertically on the left and a radio vertically on the right, just to get all that weight off my belt. AX

I have the Old World Leather style of vertical for my G21, with 13+1 rounds, it's got some weight, The dual mag carrier on the off side works well to even out the weight. even if I don't use the tie downs, I went with the vertical for the reduced chance of printing against the back of my jacket, and don't like the idea of "sweeping" everyone all day long, the disadvantage is no "thumb break" which adds time to the draw. Iv'e thought of selling it several times, but I also like the idea of having it for when I will spend a lot of time in or in and out of the car. Just my $0.02 worth.

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links