Defensive Carry banner

IWB holster for big guy ?

6K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  azretired 
#1 ·
I am 6ft about 240 Lbs. A little big in the mid section so lately my polo type shirts are a little clingy in the back.

I am wondering what type of IWB holsters other big guys are using and at what position they are carrying.

I will be carrying an M&P 40 Compact.

Thanks

#3 ·
I am 6 foot and 240 also (down from 285) I carry a Glock 19 about 3:00 to 4:00 in an AKJ concealco style leather IWB I made myself. I have the cant at about 20 degrees. I have also used the same style holster for my Kel-Tec P11, and sometimes used a High-noon, bare asset for the P11.

#12 ·
Dave,
You can try to stretch them a little before wearing them. I just made the decision to go back to wearing short sleeve button down casual shirts...kinda like mechanics shirts but not so "work shirt like" it is So. Florida after all.
I too am a big guy...5'9" 250lbs...I went with IWB...at first. I get tired of making adjustments for driving position so I carry at 3:00-3:30. I ordered a custom holster that was IWB/OWB..while waiting for it I got an IWB Summer Comfort from Galco. It works well but I found as a t shirt and sometimes Polo guy, I couldn't hide the loops very well. I tried wearing my custom holster IWB at first and never could get it to feel "right" so I tried it OWB with some new cover shirts I bought and I'll never do IWB unless I have to tuck my shirt.

#10 ·
Nothing Fancy here. Uncle Mikes with a PT 845. Usually around the 2-3 oclock position and a slight forward cant. I'm 6'4" about 235.

#13 ·
IWB that works

I'm 230 # 5 ' 11'' and this holster is great. and only $50. retention is great and I conceal my S&W MP 45 full size with a t-shirt. Check out there other items also Good company to work with.

Looper

Full cover IWB w/integral belt loop

Custom Carry Concepts,LLC
Affordable Custom Accessories

* 17564 Normandy Rd.
Lake Milton, OH 44429
* (330)651-2779
* (fax)
* rschaefer@customcarryconcepts.com

#14 ·
6'4" 235 lbs.

Blade-Tech "NANO" or "Ultimate IWB". The High Noon "Split Decision" is good too.

Worn at 0330-0400.

I wear hoodies, button-up shirts (unbuttoned unless windy), and light jackets for cover garments.

When I can't cover (heat, work, etc.), I tuck with a long-tailed button up, or a t-shirt that's a size too big.

While the oversize shirt may sound sloppy in appearance, I have to regularly buy clothes that are one to two sizes too big to have the sleeves cover my arms. Anything else looks like the shirt version of Capri Pants. Sound familiar?
:smoke23:

#17 ·
Im 6'2 248 and I use a blackhawk IWB (my normal carry is a SERPA owb), it was and still is my dads, but we regularly swap holsters to "fit our mood" so to speak. Hes 6'4 and was almost 320 pounds when he first bought it and it worked like a charm, still does now and he lost about 40 pounds. BTW I carry a full size sigma 40 most of the time and he carries a full size XD-9 in it.
-Steve

#20 ·
I'm 6' 1"ish, 250. Skinny legs and no ass, it's all in my gut and torso. I carry my Glock 19 or 32 in a MTAC at about 3:30 with no problem, it's quite comfortable. At least as comfortable as it's going to get! It helps if you pick a reasonably compact gun like the G19 and get a good belt, like a Beltman.

I've tried carrying my LW Gov't model 1911, but no go for me. I'm sticking to the compact Glocks for on-body carry.

#23 ·
6'2" 230 here and my G36 rides in a Don Hume 715 IWB holster at the 4:00 position. I generally wear loose fitting Hawaiian style XXL shirts and regular jeans, but my XXL polos work pretty well too. I just ordered a smartcarry for deep concealment and looking forward to trying it out. Good luck.

#24 ·
I see this thread is from a long time ago, but wanted to put my set up on here as for when I was looking for the best option on Google this thread was one of the ones that came up... I CC my FS M&P 9mm in my Galco king tuk at the 3-4 o'clock position. I have no problems with shirts not covering what so ever. I also have no problems sitting down or driving my pick up. I also carry my .357 in the same manner.

#25 ·
Being bigger, the most comfortable holster for me is my N82 tactical or my Kholster crescent. The N82 is nice because of the padding/memory foam/suede on the back, The Kholster crescent is nice because it's a little bigger in width so is disperses the weight better and fits us bigger guys better, plus has a actual body shield on it, people without the extra weight don't get the when you only have a small piece of leather behind the slide your fat can actually "hug" it a little and it's very uncomfortable. I started with a Crossbreed Supertuck, and I'm sure it would have been great if I wasn't heavier, but the Comfort on the other 2 was well worth it.

#26 ·
I too am a heavyweight. The 3 - 4 o'clock works for me but I can't conceal under a T or polo shirt very well. I wear an unbuttoned, size too large regular shirt over a T Shirt to hide the gun.

#27 ·
Same here..... Ruger SR40C in either a fobus paddle holster or a Foxx Holsters IWB Hybrid. I am 5'11, 250lbs and both with a larger shirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.