Ankle holster question

This is a discussion on Ankle holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a right handed person which leg is an ankle holster supposed to be worn on?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle holster question

Ankle holster question

For a right handed person which leg is an ankle holster supposed to be worn on?

2. Remove Ads

Inside left leg should work well for you.

Randy
    Randy

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I suppose it depends on how you want to reach for it. I'd wear it inside the left like randyc74 said though, personally.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

yep inside left so you draw with your right hand!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

When I ware my ankle holster I ware it in side left ankle. Started out carrying Kel Tec PF9 this way but it was just to large for me to be comfortable with. Now I carry Kel Tec P3AT ankle holster left inside and it is very comfortable. It does not print and the weight does not through my stride off as did the PF9 did.

I think small is required for ankle, otherwise feels like you have a anchor on your ankle.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

which ever ankle you wear it on, ALWAYS wear it on the inside of the leg.

WHY??? Because if you wear it on the outside of either leg you can not get to it with the opposite hand.

This is an old SCUBA divers trick when strapping on a drive knife. You NEED to get to the knife with either hand, try it, you'll be surprised how hard it is to get to on the outside of your leg
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I have been wearing the same gun with the same ankle holster for the last 25 years on my right ankle on the outside. Way back when it just felt more comfortable and more natural to reach down and grab it with my right hand from the outside.

When I was looking at an ankle holster in a store the other week I said the the sales man " I think you gave me a lefty holster". He said to put it on the inside of my left leg. That is what got me thinking maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years.

VIP Member

Two options.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I have been wearing the same gun with the same ankle holster for the last 25 years on my right ankle on the outside. (deleted stuff for brevity). He said to put it on the inside of my left leg. That is what got me thinking maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years.
    Two choices here-- a) whatever works b) we all argue for the next 30 posts in the thread :)

Two options for a right handed holster.

The first, and most common, is the inside of the left leg with the butt of the gun facing rearward.

The second, and one I prefer, is the inside of the right leg with the butt of the gun facing forward. While this does requre you to rotate your arm/wrist to draw it also allows you to draw with someone is sitting on your chest.

Place you ankle holster on the inside of your left leg, traditional style, and have someone sit on your chest like they were smashing your head into the pavement. Now try to reach around your attacker and across to your opposite leg. Now try it my way. I think you will find that while the rotation of the hand/wrist is a little more difficult, you can at least get to your gun.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    For a right handed person which leg is an ankle holster supposed to be worn on?
    The reason it is assumed that you wear inside left if your right handed is that you have your left hand to pull your pant leg up and then draw with your right...making the process faster.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Two options for a right handed holster.

The first, and most common, is the inside of the left leg with the butt of the gun facing rearward.

The second, and one I prefer, is the inside of the right leg with the butt of the gun facing forward. While this does requre you to rotate your arm/wrist to draw it also allows you to draw with someone is sitting on your chest.

Place you ankle holster on the inside of your left leg, traditional style, and have someone sit on your chest like they were smashing your head into the pavement. Now try to reach around your attacker and across to your opposite leg. Now try it my way. I think you will find that while the rotation of the hand/wrist is a little more difficult, you can at least get to your gun.

Biker
    But you could grab it with your left hand with someone sitting on your chest.

Inside on either leg. It will print more on the outside.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
    But you could grab it with your left hand with someone sitting on your chest.
    True.

I just prefer it with the gun butt facing forward. It does make for a slower draw, and not as easy when drawing from a seated position, but I've found that it works better for me when someone is sitting on my chest.

Biker

Gosh, I hope no one is ever sitting on my chest….never thought of that…..I guess my thought is it is too late at that point and I better get them off my chest with other means before I try to get a gun off of my ankle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links