Carry methods for a Colt Lawman MkIII

This is a discussion on Carry methods for a Colt Lawman MkIII within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a Colt Lawman MkIII .357 mag for about $400.00 in perfect condition. I got it as a trail gun and as my ...

Thread: Carry methods for a Colt Lawman MkIII

Just picked up a Colt Lawman MkIII .357 mag for about $400.00 in perfect condition. I got it as a trail gun and as my introduction to carrying a wheel gun. It's about medium size - somewhere in between a S&W K-frame and N-frame. What carry rig would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a belt style and a shoulder holster. So far I've had the Crossbreed Supertuck recommended.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

VIP Member
    I'd take a look at some of the holsters from Simply Rugged, for the belt holster and possibly the field holster...For a shoulder holster look at some of the Galco and Bianchi models for revolvers, if you want leather...

BTW Congrats on the new wheel gun...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Alot will depend on the barrel length. You can get away with 4 inches with a horizontel rig anything bigger then that go vertical. As to IWB barrel length is not as much of a factor how ever see if you can get a rig that puts the cylinder up the belt line resting just on top of the belt. For that you would need to look to a custom maker like Delfatti or Ralston.

Milt Sparks has the HSR (Hackathorn special) and the 200AW which are great belt holsters, but you'll probably wait 6 months to get an order filled.

Simply Rugged has some less elegant offerings, but they do a fine job and you'll get own from them a lot sooner than from Sparks!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I really like the look of the Simply Rugged holster that converts into a shoulder holster as well. Anyone have experience with this model?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

cmb
    I recently acuired on of these also, the Lawman is 2 in barrel. Some do not like them but I use an Ace Case IWB tuckable holster (the large universal fits it and allow you to carry cross draw or normal, the one for 2" snubbies fits a little tight at the Lawman's trigger guard.) I am not familiar with any shoulder rigs.

I like the Lawman and I hope you do as well, I am able to hit with 38 and 357 loads at 20 yds pretty well. It is my first wheel gun too! I am waiting to go back to range for a little more practice and then add it to my carry rotation.

The deSantis holsters for the S&W "L" frame fit this gun nicely. I have used mine for years and realy enjoy shooting it.

Doc

Links