A holster question for all

This is a discussion on A holster question for all within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Folks! One of the things that I try to do with my customers is listen to them. What I keep hearing over and over ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A holster question for all

A holster question for all

Hi Folks!

One of the things that I try to do with my customers is listen to them. What I keep hearing over and over is that they love the performance of my product ( the comfort, concealment and smoothness of draw etc ) Many also comment on the appearance of my work, but the majority seem more focused upon how well it works.
    I've always strived to make my product as perfect as humanly possible, but this is a very time consuming process and it adds significant cost to the finished product. Because it is very time consuming it also results in lengthy wait times for the customer. I'm wondering if perhaps many folks would be better served with a product that performs much like my regular line, but without the "spit & polish".
    So, what I am considering doing is adding a "Service Grade" product line. These holsters will be cut on the same dies as my current work, so they will perform very similarly. In essence they'll be a "Plain Jane" version of the same holster but without the cosmetics and the big price tag. My goal is to make this level of performance available to a larger number of shooters. For example: currently a Max-Con V is $89.95. The service grade model would be more like $64.95 -$69.95, so we're looking at a pretty substantial savings for the customer, and a considerably faster delivery.
    However, I do not want to make the classic mistake of offering something to my customers that I think is a good idea. I want to offer you a product that you like - that meets your needs.
    So, I asked Bumper if I could post this poll, and he graciously allowed me to do so. (Thanks, Boss!) So, do you guys think this is a good idea? After all, my regular work will still be available to those who want that level of quality, but now an option exists for those who are on a budget, but still need to be able to defend themselves and their loved ones. Please take a moment and tell me what you think. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for your input. I really do appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Hey Gary, sounds like a great idea to me. Since most of us wear a holster "concealed" appearance should be of limited concern, at least this is true for me. It might also depend on how you advertise it. I would wiilingly sacrifice appearance, but would not be willing to sacrifice functionality at all, even at a bargain rate. The idea of choice is a good one.

Administrator

Thumbs up Great Idea

As long as the quality of the leather is the same.

$69.00 would put one of your great leather holsters in about the same price range as most Kydex.

I sure would opt for a $69.00 natural Brommeland leather that is priced only a small dollar amount over everyday, ordinary, average, synthetic, mass produced, Kydex.

What about "Cosmetic Defects" & Range Marks ???....which... (Believe It Or Not) ~ I always kinda actually liked the looks of "Range Marks" on natural leather holsters.

I too would be interested, and think it is a fine idea.

While it is esthetically satisfying to own fine things, having a functional version of the same item would be just fine with me.

I especially like the reduced price and perhaps more important, the reduced wait.

If you go ahead with it, I would be willing to become a guinea pig and order a Max-Con V for my full sized 1911. This would be so I could get my order in early in case you get a gazillion orders and the delivery time goes right back up with the full priced line.

Please keep us posted as you decide whether or not to do this.

A good idea but a down fall I see with it is you would be catering to the lower end holster market while the higher end market suffers with much longer waits than their already is. I think they are pretty long as it is already being a one man shop. I ordered a holster on March 2nd and can't see it coming in until well into May at best now. So that is the thing I see getting worse is the wait for the now going to be the "regular line" of holsters getting much more extended.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

If the performance is just as good, cosmetics are irrelevant to me. The lower cost and shorter wait is just a bonus! Sounds like a great idea to me.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    For an IWB, the appearance is almost irrelevant, for an OWB, it should be as inconspicuous as possible (look like the finish on a belt, cell phone cover, etc.). So I would say go for it, unless the increase in orders overwhelms the time saved in finishing, because then the customer isn't benefitting that much.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If i understood right your saying to continue your premieum line , and start a service grade line , i think that is a great idea personaly , since i wont invest in real high priced leather for everything i carry from time to time, only my " keepers " get high $$ skins lol

A great idea. I go along with the idea nobody can see it, it's concealed. Long as it feels good and works is all I need.

VIP Member
    I'm with the majority on this one. I use IWB holsters and as long as the performance is the same, I'm all for it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    As in anything,I will pay extra for durability,fit,and being the style that I want. Purdieness is minor. If someone wants a holster outta shark skin or stingray,that's fine for them. For me cow'll do just fine. Comin' down to the $60's and $70's puts your products more in my league. OBTW........thanks for your concern for the customer. Nowadaze it's a great thing to see. -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; April 23rd, 2006 at 08:42 PM.

Good & Bad

The bad:
    I agree with Ti Carry that the wait time on the premium holsters will just get longer. I have the MV5, but I started with the Tucker coverup that has zero finish on it. It is a good holster. Nobody could see it, but at the same time I am kind of embarrassed to show it to anyone. To me that is a minus. Who wants to show their guns off after a day at the range. I would rather wait until it's cleaned up and looks good.
    The good:
    You can't see it, except for the top portion. You will definitely increase sales to those who's budgets are stretched. I will buy the service grade to use during the day at work, and keep the premium for when I'm cleaned up.

As a business decision, it makes sense for you to do this. I just hate to see the wait times go up for those who don't have a premium one yet. If I were you, I would do it.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Tuff call, GB. I think its one of those ideas that keeps businessmen up at night. Trying to cover ALL the market.
    But, for those of us who already use your gear, we'd love to get into some of the 'economy' stuff as long as the quality is the same, and at a reduced wait. It also offers folks with a limited budget the chance to carry thier gun in a quality rig. I've always figgered if you did go this route, a lot of people who wouldnt drop $100 on a rig would probably order one of your economy models. Then, after seeing and using a quality product, when the time comes for another rig, they wont bat an eye at ordering and waiting for a Brommeland Premium holster.
    Again, if the quality is the same, if the retention is the same, and the delivery time is reduced, I'd say WE are the winners here. 'course, it aint "Dan's Holsters", so the decision is yours. You'll do the right thing.

Dan

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    Hi Folks!
    but without the "spit & polish".
    So, what I am considering doing is adding a "Service Grade" product line. These holsters will be cut on the same dies as my current work, so they will perform very similarly. In essence they'll be a "Plain Jane" version of the same holster but without the cosmetics and the big price tag.

Are we talking raw leather, or just not so meticulously finished???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lead Moderator
    A cheaper/ faster delivered piece would appeal to me too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links