Which holster for a FatBoy?

This is a discussion on Which holster for a FatBoy? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a lot of these posts and did a comprehensive search but never really got a satisfying answer. Whats the best rig for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which holster for a FatBoy?

Which holster for a FatBoy?

I read a lot of these posts and did a comprehensive search but never really got a satisfying answer. Whats the best rig for a really fat guy.

I'm the kind of guy that follows my doctors orders. He said to eat some nuts, so I added Pecan pie ala mode to my diet. He said to watch my meat intake. So, every time I eat a steak (almost daily), I remember to closely watch it, as my doctor ordered. I now weigh almost 100 pounds over my expected 180 Lbs. So, I could just tuck a small auto into a fold of fat, but I would like something more normal. So, what kind of holster rig would you recommend?

Money is no object. I have $25.00 saved up for this expense.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Welcome!

Keep saving and get a Crossbreed Supertuck.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    What kinda gun???

Keep saving...you've gotta ways to go...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Gun? Ya mean I need a gun INSIDE the holster also? Seriously, I'm leaning toward a XD9sc, the new Ruger LCP, or similar auto.
    Uncle Dannie

VIP Member
    As another big guy...you'd probably be most comfortable with an OWB holster and a cover shirt...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That was almost humorous.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

I've got a gut..., and for years I've carried IWB at 3:00 and at 5:30 without problems...so you could do that easily. During the last 6 months though, I have discovered the comfort of OWB at about 3:30 in this... FIST, INC. ...and my Glock-36 rides just like the pic on the right (of a Glock).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

UncleDannie,
    Depending on your height, I'd probably make you look like you were anorexic. When Kansas first started allowing us to CC in 2007, I thought IWB would be way too uncomfortable for someone my size. It has become my preferred method of carry. Here are a few things that will hopefully help out a bit and save you some of the money that I've already experimented with.

Gun -- The Springfield XD is an excellent firearm but, IMO, not a great choice for the girth challenged. It is an extremely blocky and thick gun. I had a XD SC in 40. Don't have it anymore. For the last 18 months, my EDC has been a Sig 239 SAS. The 239 isn't really a "small" gun but the SAS treatment rounds off all the sharp corners. I love this gun. The two other guns that I sometimes carry IWB are a Walther PPS and a Kahr PM9. The PPS is very thin as are any of the Kahr pistols. If you on a bit of a budget, Taurus also has their new 709 Slim model. Don't have any experience with it, but I've seen some decent reports.

If you decide to go with a LCP, I'd pocket carry and forget it.

Holsters -- I have a UBG Canute for my Sig and my PPS. Excellent choice for the Sig, not so great for the PPS. The problem with the PPS is that the gun is so short from front of trigger guard to end of barrel that the Canute is correspondingly short and rubs my hip raw while sitting. On the plus side, these are quality holsters with a reasonable delivery time and you won't find a better guy to deal with than Nate.

The most comfortable holster I have is the Brigade Gunleather M-11 I have for my Sig and my PM9. Unfortunately, they aren't taking any new orders currently and if they were, their wait time was over a year.

I also have a Minotaur MTAC with shells for my 239 and PM9 and it is also very comfortable. Their turnaround time is extremely fast.

Belt -- Get a good belt. I have two 1 1/4" Beltman belts and they are great.

Pants -- Buy your pants 1 to 2 inches larger in the waist. This will greatly add to your comfort while carrying and make it much easier to put on your holster.

Hope this helps some.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It really depends on where the excess weight lurks and the width of your shoulders. I am considerably larger and carry a Sig P226 or HK P2000/P2000sk IWB all the time and even a 1911 rarely. I found that OWB just hangs out too much especially in the summer.

My prefered carry is a T&T Gunleather IWB. This sits lower and with a better cant for me than the VMII which it almost a clone of. I carry at 2:00 which is better for sitting and driving. Make sure your gun sits deep into any holster or an ample waistline will push it sideways.

Another option is a wfe beater tee whith a shoulder holster covered by a loose mostly open print shirt.

I'll second Hoss on the Canute from UBG it's the first comfortable IWB I have ever had. I use it with my PT140 and it works well for me. I have found it to work at the 2:30 position the best for me but you really need to experiment for yourself to find the sweet spot.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I'm just answering this impulsively, but I'm the kinda guy you want answers from. I'm 5'11" and currently 355. I've had a leather business on the net and have tried offerings from most of the well known quality holster makers like Alessi, Brommeland, Bulman, Comp-tac, DelFatti, Null, Rafters, 5Shot, Sparks, Tucker and more. Ive also tried their belts which are key to a great carry system. If you plan to hang any steel on a belt it had better be able to support it without sagging. A 1 1/2" GUNBELT from any of the above makers will do nicely. I used to love Lou Alessi's belts but now that he has left us prematurely I'm saving the belts that he made for me and I wear a Rafters as my EDC. They are very thick and you would be well advised to be sure that they will pass through the loops on your holster.

For my use, someone with a big potbelly, I like a holster with widely spaced loops like a Bulman Dual Loop IWB or a Sparks VM-II. I honestly prefer an OWB holster in the style of Lou Alessi's CQC-S. Almost all the holstermakers make one like it now, some with dual snaps and some like the original. All work well that I have tried and are extra comfortable.

A good friend carries a S&W 1911 in an IWB(a great choice coz it is thin and easy to conceal) and the checkered stocks abrade his skin. He needs to wear a wifebeater t-shirt under his outershirt. You may need to wear pants one size larger and possibly even suspenders between two shirts to keep your pants from going south ....I do sometimes. An ankle holster and/or pocket holster with a snubbie or a little thin auto can work (can anyone say Kahr :D?). Sometimes you have to experiment a little, and yes, that is expensive! I don't recommend trying to find a great CCW rig on a strict budget. A snubbie and a Mika Pocket holster might fill that tight budget bill.

A lot depends on your style of dress and lifestyle. As I said, I'm a big guy too and I can usually get by with a good widely spaced OWB at 3:00 on a really great 1 1/2" Rafters belt. I'm currently trying a Comp-Tac Minotaur Gladiator and it seems to be a winner. I have to wear a long t-shirt or polo but that covers in all but the deepest cover situations. In the Summer I use a pocket holster from PCS Holsters with a snubbie or a Kahr PM9. I have an Alessi ankle holster as well. Milt Sparks Watch Six IWB is made entirely from horse and is very thin. Probably as thin as you can get! The little Kahr disappears on the waist in that baby for sure!

PM me if you need more info. I have no business anymore because I couldn't get product in a timely manner for my customers but I still make suggestions. Hope these ideas helped. I never answered your question exactly because I can't. It depends on you and your lifestyle. For most people, a thinner gun like a 1911, a Kahr, or the like in an IWB holster on a really thick 1 1/2" gunbelt will work. The belt is so important that I cannot stress it enough, especially for a big guy! You can get a belt from the Beltman, Rafters, or even a synthetic from Wilderness.

As an afterthought, Comp-tac delivers a great Kydex or Leather/Kydex hybrid holster in about 2 weeks. You have 30 days to try one out. If you don't like it you can return it for a refund! You can't get one for $25 but you can't get anything else worth squat for that much either. Don't try to economize too much on your CCW gear. Their holsters are very reasonable and well thought out. I prefer leather but Kydex has it's merits...Tom
    Last edited by tpdtom; November 15th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.

You are a lightweight. I'm 6'3" , 328lbs and when I carry my XD45, I use one of three holsters:

IWB Crossbreed Supertuck. It is a great holster. Very comfortable

OWB My favorite OWB is my Bianchi CarryLock model 82. It keeps the gun nice and close to my body (w/a good belt).

OWB I first bought a Blackhawk Serpa II holster. It comes with paddle and belt loop. This holster is not leather and is a bit cheaper at around $44 or so. It is a good comfortable holster but does not hold the gun quite as close to your body as the Bianchi does.

That's my 2¢ worth from "Fatboy Central."
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    I read a lot of these posts and did a comprehensive search but never really got a satisfying answer. Whats the best rig for a really fat guy.

I'm the kind of guy that follows my doctors orders. He said to eat some nuts, so I added Pecan pie ala mode to my diet. He said to watch my meat intake. So, every time I eat a steak (almost daily), I remember to closely watch it, as my doctor ordered. I now weigh almost 100 pounds over my expected 180 Lbs. So, I could just tuck a small auto into a fold of fat, but I would like something more normal. So, what kind of holster rig would you recommend?

Money is no object. I have $25.00 saved up for this expense.
    This fatguy has had good luck with Beltman belts and CrossBreed holsters. I have also heard that the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is very comfortable, but mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't personally comment on it yet. I also pocket carry my J-frame a lot in a milt sparks pch-r holster.

Thanks everyone for all the fantastic info. Hoss and tpdtom offered the best advice, which I plan to follow. I wear a T-shirt that proudly proclaims that I am an Anorexia Survivor. The $25 was a tongue-in-cheek comment, as I understand that a decent holster will run between $50 to $80, plus the costs of a belt. I wear size 44 pants, and the thought of 46 is not a happy vision for me. I'm 5'9" and weigh in at 280 lbs. Think bowling ball shaped. I have a huge Beer-belly, even though I don't drink beer. Go figure.

Again, thanks for all the assistance. I never considered the Taurus, that is something to pursue. I'm in Bakersfield, CA at present, and they will have a 2-day Gun Show at the Fair grounds next week-end. I think I'll take my $25 and go shopping.
    Uncle Dannie

I went from 360 lbs to 260 lbs in about a year. At 6'3" the one holster I could depend on (and still do) is the #1 Clip holster by FIST. Just works well at any weight. Of course a good gun belt is a requirement at any weight as well.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links