Crossbreed Holster Modification

This is a discussion on Crossbreed Holster Modification within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am probably not alone on this regardless of pistol or holster. I was having a problem with my Sig P239 and my crossbreed holster ...

Thread: Crossbreed Holster Modification

Crossbreed Holster Modification

I am probably not alone on this regardless of pistol or holster. I was having a problem with my Sig P239 and my crossbreed holster (horse hide). I don't feel it is necessarily a fault with either - just one of those things. Often, when I sit/press against something firm, including the car seat, I will unknowingly pop the mag release button and my mag will be slightly out - HUGE PROBLEM!!! I don't want to be left with just the one round in the chamber because of a jam and I don't want to lose my mag. I like the position of the mag release on the Sig - it is not too recessed and not too prominent - my thumb finds it easily. I can't say enough good things about this holster. I carry at about the 5 o'clock position. I am about 6'1" 195 lbs. I wish I could contribute this to a bony hip, but I have a small amount of fluff which I am working on. I went to my local saddle shop and had him sew and glue an extra horseshoe shaped piece of leather onto my holster - see pictures. It is positioned around the mag release button. The scuff inside the horseshoe is from the button. 10 minutes and $6 - problem solved!!! I can't push the button through the holster now regardless of how hard I try - even using my fingers. I was considering punching a hole at this location which may have worked as well, but I didn't want to risk the possibility of creating a snag. Hope this is able to help some of you.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Great idea!
    A holster maker refused to make me a holster with the leather covering the mag release. I don't see why a hole in the leather doesn't accomplish the same thing, but your solution is even better.

Nice mod. I had the same thing happen with a Galco Sto and Go holster. The mag release on the Kel Tec P-11 is plastic, so I filed it down. Works great now.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

I'm lefty so my problem is armchairs and stuff can depress my mag catch,I check to make sure my mag is locked in whenever I have been in a chair or in a position that my mag catch may have been pressed,I have a SigPro 2022 the mag button was so prominent it got pushed way too easy,it was aluminum but a dremel and a couple minutes and some cold blue,I no longer inadvertently push the mag release until I want to
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I saw some directions somewhere on how to modify the supertuck for that problem. I believe you wet the leather and press a dent into the leather and let that dry. I think it may have been in the paperwork that came with mine. Regardless, that's a nice looking fix.

VIP Member
    A bigger problem than what you stated with popping the mag out isn't only one round....with that gun, you can't fire the one round you have. The Sig has a mag safety, if the mag is dropped, the gun will not fire.

Good fix to the problem.

I carry a Sig P220R in a Supertuck and absolutely love it. Never had problems with the mag release.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    A bigger problem than what you stated with popping the mag out isn't only one round....with that gun, you can't fire the one round you have. The Sig has a mag safety, if the mag is dropped, the gun will not fire.
    I don't know about your P220, but my P239 definitely does not have a mag safety.

To the OP, very clever solution. I've been lucky that my CBST does not press on my mag release.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

VIP Member
    Huh......

How have I been wrong so long and not known it?

I had to go back and look at my manual again..
    Thank you for correcting me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Links