Looking for opinions on overnight storage

This is a discussion on Looking for opinions on overnight storage within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the present, at night, I store my XDm up in my closet that is across the room from my bed. Not locked up but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At the present, at night, I store my XDm up in my closet that is across the room from my bed. Not locked up but there is no way for my 4 year old girl, my oldest, to get it. I have been thinking about getting a lockbox to mount behind my bedside dresser. Something like a mini GunVault. Although they donít make one for my XDm, I have recently been considering mounting a holster with retention like the Blackhawk Level 3 Serpa. While not locked in a vault, it will be hard for a young one to figure out. Keep in mind the XDm will only be stored there over night, what do you all think of this mode of storage? While some will say safe enough and others will condemn the mode of storage, Iíd like to hear from all sides.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Personally, I would not underestimate the inquisitiveness of a four year old. I personally am not comfortable unless my gun is on my hip or in the GunVault. I would certainly recommend teaching your daughter about what to do if she sees a gun (look at the NRA Eddie Eagle program for kids: 1) Stop, 2) Don't touch, 3) Leave the area, 4) Tell an adult).
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    I would certainly recommend teaching your daughter about what to do if she sees a gun
    Of which I have been doing already. She knows never to handle a firearm and to tell an adult if she finds one or another kid is playing with one. She even knows that my pistol is our family secret and not to tell anyone. Whether she will tell anyone or not is to be determined, but I am taking the route to educate her and instill a healthy amount of respect. She knows that the gun can put her in the hospital and have to get lots of shots, something she can identify with and wants nothing to do with.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

--Henry Ford

Here is how I handle it. My safe is my nighttable. It has a digital key pad. At night I leave the door slightly ajar. I can easily grab the pistol in the middle of the night if SHTF. Photos 2,3,4 are me lying in bed with my hand dropped down. If somebody walked into my bedroom uninvited I could slip my hand down and they will be in for a surprise. First thing in the morning I will lock the door as my feet hit the floor. My kids are 10,8 and 2. Normally the 10 or 8 year old will come down even to wake me up and one of them will close the door.

They understand that if they wish to see my guns I will give them to see after daddy check that it is unloaded. I have taught my kids the rules and how to check to see if the gun is unloaded.

One of my personal rules is " Guns out of the safe, all ammo is inside. With the door locked!!
    Attached Images

As mentioned, never underestimate the abilities of a child to get their hands on your gun. How many times have we read of children accidentally shooting someone and the parents thought they had it secured. I would never risk it with my kid's life, not to mention the Federal penalties for leaving a gun accessible to a child.

Mine are in a GunVault along-side the bed. I don't have the bio-metric lock with the finger print reader, just the regular four finger combo buttons. But I can have that gun into action very quickly, even in the dark. I really like it.

I still reccommend that in addition to everything else, putting a key lock on bedroom door.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

sgb
    I agree with "never underestimate the abilities of a child to get their hands on your gun".

Get the gunvault.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Another vote for the GunVault. I use the security cable to tie it to my bedframe. I have a 4 year old who is very good and listens very well... when people are around. I would never leave any of my guns around.

Plus, the GunVault by your bed would be much easier to access than your XDm in your closet.

GunVault, by far the best option. It's worth the $100 or so to have your weapon handy. I come home and swap out my daily carry with a larger pistol every night - the one that's not on my person is in the GunVault. My wife knows the combination but the kids do not - and since they've been given a lot of guidance on what to do when they see a gun they've not been curious (thankfully).
    Nothing unreal exists

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    Of which I have been doing already. She knows never to handle a firearm and to tell an adult if she finds one or another kid is playing with one. She even knows that my pistol is our family secret and not to tell anyone. Whether she will tell anyone or not is to be determined, but I am taking the route to educate her and instill a healthy amount of respect. She knows that the gun can put her in the hospital and have to get lots of shots, something she can identify with and wants nothing to do with.
    Great job, Dad! Keep it up!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Seems like the GunVault is the way to go. I'll be looking out for good deals. Thanks for all the input.
    --Benjamin Franklin

--Henry Ford

Seems like the GunVault is the way to go. I'll be looking out for good deals. Thanks for all the input.
    There are a few authorized GunVault dealers on eBay. That was the best value that I found.

I recommend the larger model Gun Vault Multi

The small one only holds one pistol and there is no room for anything else. if you have the room, the Multivault has 2 shelves which can accommodate both an additional pistol, mags or other valuables.

My .02 cents.

The GunVault
    Cheaper than any accident, or mishap responsibility...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links