Fobus holsters

Fobus holsters

This is a discussion on Fobus holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys! I just got a fobus holster for my gun. It clings to the gun very well as advertised. However. even when I loosten ...

Thread: Fobus holsters

Fobus holsters

Hi guys!

I just got a fobus holster for my gun. It clings to the gun very well as advertised. However. even when I loosten the screw........I need two hands to draw it comfortably.

I'm right handed and it seems that a cross draw works best with this holster......never used cross draw before but it's faster with the fobus.

Any thoughts?

Mike

I hate to be negative without redeeming constructive value, but I don't like Fobus paddle holsters (the only Fobus holsters with which I have experience). They break easily and fit poorly, from what I've seen. After using the Fobus paddle for my Glock (which, to be fair, didn't give me any problems during a close-range pistol fighting class) while taking a seminar with Chris Fry, I switched to Comp-Tac at his suggestion. I have a Blade-Tech for my 1911 which is pretty good, too.

Somewhere there is floating around a video of a Fobus roto-paddle being broken during a retention exercise.

I had a FOBUS paddle holster for my glock 23. A quick upward "snap" motion is the best way to draw from this holster. It takes some time to master. I believe the ultra positive retention functions as a defense for would be BG's trying to take the firearm out of the owners holster.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed, and leaving aside the generally not over-liked Fobus rigs - the draw needs to be what I call ''inertial'' and snappy.

Back when I carried my P95 I did for a while have a Fobus and actually got on with it quite well - no prob's over concealment as I have a wide choice of cover garments. The draw tho did as said need to be very fast and brisk to break the hold on the gun - perfectly manageable with just a little practice.

The vid of breaking a paddle was in fact IMO less than authentic, because it was basically one guy standing next to the wearer and torquing it hard - in a way that would be unlikely to occur in actual use.

I'd avoid cross draw if possible even tho it suits car carry - try again at 3.30 or so strong side and bend left as you draw with a rapid tug to free the gun - should not need two hands at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

A Fobus paddle was my first and shortest used holster. Never cared for the overly-tight grip it had on the gun, but it did the job until it got replaced.

And as for that video, it didn't look like anything I'd call a "retention exercise." I looked like someone simply wanted to prove the holster could be broken. Not particularly impressive.

If that was a "roto" holster, even less impressive, since people like to use that video to support their arguments against the paddle version.

No, I don't recommend the Fobus paddle, but if you have one, use it. It will do until you find something better.

I did. I replaced it with a Blackhawk SERPA. Liked that one MUCH better. That is, until I finally listened to these guys an got a nice leather Laredo Defender from Kevin at K&D! (Turns out, they were right!)

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    A Fobus paddle was my first and shortest used holster.
    Ditto!!

Lead Moderator
    I found the Fobus to be a decent paddle(roto), but it stuck out way too far for me to easily conceal. I to switched to the Serpa and have good results.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    A quick upward "snap" motion is the best way to draw from this holster. It takes some time to master.

I concur.

I've got several fobus paddle holsters, one for each gun I own that they make one for. They're cheap, comfortable, and available for a very large number of different handguns. Great for range use.

A fobus for CCW? I don't think so...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I believe that that video was done by a buddy of mine that shouts at our club. I just sent him an e-mail asking to verify and will forward any questions concerning the demonstration.

So, I guess I could chime in as I have used Fobus products, and still do. IMO the market they are targeting is not only economy, but concealed carry. If you in fact conceal your weapon in a civilian role with out physical retention being the number #1 priority I believe the holster is adequate.

Administrator
    Save it for the range or in the house.
    I never like Fobus Anything & the Fobus paddle holsters do not pull the firearm in close enough to the body for good concealment.
    Their one redeeming factor is that they are comparatively inexpensive.
    Just my opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks guys!

I too noticed that it doesn't cling to the body well.

Chris, tks for the detailed advice on the draw. I'll spend some practice time drawing it and let you all know the results.

Mike

Sponsored Links