Gun Belt Questions?

Gun Belt Questions?

This is a discussion on Gun Belt Questions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading a few of the gun belt debates, I decided to buy one for my Kahr PM9 a Kahr MK9 from The Beltman. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Belt Questions?

Gun Belt Questions?

After reading a few of the gun belt debates, I decided to buy one for my Kahr PM9 a Kahr MK9 from The Beltman. The belt quality and build is top notch. My problem is that I can't get it to be comfortable at all. My old non gun belt is a lot more comfortable since it easily bends to the contour of the my Crossbreed MiniTuck.

My understanding is that the gun belt will keep it's round shape. If that's the case, it's feels uncomfortable wearing the holster at 4 o'clock. The belt holds it's shape and doesn't wrap around the contours of the IWB holster like a regular belt does. If I cinch the belt tighter, it still keeps the round shape and is much too tight.

1. Should I expect this to get better over time? Will the belt become more comfortable/flexible?
    2. Is it possible that I just don't need a gun belt because the guns are so light (16 oz. and 24 oz. loaded)? The holster and pants hold the gun comfortably alone, but I wear a belt for extra support.

Pictures attached. Regular Nautica belt is brown. Gun belt (horsehide) is black.
    Attached Images

I prefer a gun belt, and I've always been able to find a comfortable way to wear one. None of my gun belts "softened up" much, if at all. YMMV.

I want my belt, holster, and thus my gun - in the same place every time I reach for it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I don't always wear a gun belt when carrying IWB with lighter guns.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The primary purpose of a dedicated gun belt is to provide a semi rigid platform from which to "hang" your gun (and other accesories too- perhaps). This rigid platform provides a firm, stable, and constant place from which your gun "hangs"! In order to keep the consistency for the seating of the gun you really do not want the belt to soften over time. That defeats the whole purpose of a gun belt.

You can/ought to work with the placement of your gun on the belt and see if you can find the "sweet spot" that satisfies you. But the fact of the matter is that the proper seatment and carry for your CCW is to be "comforting" not comfortable. FWIW!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I know exactly what you are talking about. My Beltman belts do exactly what you describe with my G36 in a Raven Phantom and to a lesser extent with my Colt Defender in a Tucker Texas Heritage, but for me it is not uncomfortable.

Good gun belts are subjective, and I differ a little bit when it comes to the comfort issue. Comfort should not be the main concern, but it should be one of them. If not, you defeat the purpose of covert carry, which is much different than concealed carry. If the belt is unbearably uncomfortable with the gun properly positioned for quick, safe and proper access, you are not helping yourself. You'll also fiddle with it while wearing it. This will eventually turn into an unconscious movement and a habit. I've seen it with people I work with, and have had it happen to me.

Quality belts like the ones from the Beltman, will conform to your body shape and break in, but it will not break down enough to contour to the shape of the holster; especially the horsehide you have chosen. The point of a good gun belt is to hold the weight of the weapon and distribute it properly for comfort and for proper positioning and stability of the firearm while holstered. If you are getting all of that from a different type of belt, then I'd say go with that belt.

In my experience, a good stiff leather belt is the proper Rx for any OWB concealment holster, and can be for IWB as well. However, I too find a more flexible belt can be a viable option for me with IWB carry as long as the weight and size of the gun allow all the above listed mandates for myself to be obtainable.

Hope this helps.

I bought a used Beltman Belt and find it to be better than anything else I have used. Give it some time and maybe you'll get used to the additional stiffness and support.

A good gun belt can make a big difference in the efficiency of CCW.
    From your picture, however, it looks like the older belt might be OK for an IWB holster...a firmer gun belt would be more important for an OWB holster or a paddle holster.
    Whatever works for you, and seems more comfortable...if the gun feels secure...go for it. You'll soon know if it's going to work. There are no secrets about holster stability...it either works or not.
    I do think that the newer gun belt would eventually mold around the holster while remaining firm and resist 'twisting'. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the comments. I don't plan on carrying OWB, so I'm probably going to try wearing the belt for a week to see if things are any different. I have a feeling that things are not going to change. It may be that I simply don't have heavy enough guns for the gun belt to be truly necessary.

Buying and testing gear is definitely an expensive hobby. Too bad I paid $120 to test this out. At least I have a really nice belt now to wear even if I don't use it for IWB. Maybe it will be better when I pocket carry. :)

Try moving your gun to about the 5 o'clock positon and get it off your hip bone this should ease some discomfort. I have been wearing a supertuck for about a week with a regular belt and I notice a big difference if it is out of position just a little bit. If it is too close to 4 o'clock it hurts my bone and if I do not have it positioned somewhere between the 5 and 6 o'clock it hits my psychiatric nerve and starts to shoot pain down to my knee. I can still draw just as fast in the 5 to 6 o'clock position after I made some changes to the cant angle.

Hope this helps and good luck as I am planning on buying a beltman belt in the future as my current belt is not stable enough to keep from readjusting my pants throughout the day.

Once you find your sweet spot you will notice a big difference in tolerable comfort.

As has been stated here, a holster belt is much more important for OWB carry. Not so much IWB. Now that I wear my Wilderness Instructor belt with a high-ride Galco Silohette (sp?), I can't imagine OWB without a proper belt. But IWB, casual slacks and 1 1/4" dress belt, no problem.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

tokerblue, try a countoured belt instead of the standard, straight ones.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

I have never had a gun belt, but have been looking at them lately. Right now I use Blackhawk's Instructors Gun Belt/ Riggers Belt. If not I use one of my western belts.
    I never knew there was a difference between a gun belt and a regular belt.

FWIW when I had that problem with a comptac belt (very thick with velcro and kydex stiffener) and a kydex/leather 2 clip holster I then tried an AKJ Concealco holster. The 2/3 to 1/2 smaller footprint on my body and belt along with the all leather construction flexing with my body works much much better. I actually like IWB with my Para Warthog and this holster.

Now if I could just stop eating Oreos and chocolate milk I could slim down about 2 inches and make it even easier! lol

Can anyone give me an idea how much differnce in length one experiences in belt length when going from IWB to OWB. Another way to ask...does it take more than an inch more usually to go OWB than your regular belt lenght?

About a notch and half-ish.
    ( o=)==:::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links