MTAC vs. Desantis Scorpion

This is a discussion on MTAC vs. Desantis Scorpion within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anybody tried both of these? I have a M&P 40 compact. I have been using a Desantis Scorpion for the last 2 weeks and ...

Thread: MTAC vs. Desantis Scorpion

Has anybody tried both of these?

I have a M&P 40 compact. I have been using a Desantis Scorpion for the last 2 weeks and today just got my Minotaur MTAC. I thought I really liked the Scorpion but now that I put the MTAC on I am not sure which feels better. I usually never wear an undershirt but both feel pretty good. In fact with both of them the only thing that is annoying is the grip of the gun rubbing my side.

The Scorpion gives you that "click" when the gun is locked in which mentally makes me secure. The Kydex on the MTAC seems so be a little smoother and softer slightly. Maybe just my imagination??

Looking for feedback from people who have used both of these and your thoughts on each.

DeSantis Scorpion hands down. I never got the Mtac to work for me. Everything about the Scorpion says it's a keeper. I wear mine most of the time, wore it today.

Wink MTAC vs. Desantis Scorpion

Hi David! I am interested in seeing the answers to your question also. I haven't had either of the holsters in my hands, but I do have an MTAC on order, , so I have spent a lot of time looking (does that count?).

In the pictures of the Scorpion, it seems that the "backing" of the holster is Kydex also. Is that actually what it is, rather than leather? I am a little surprised that the Kydex would feel as good as the leather backing of the MTAC.

I am new here, and new to CC, but a couple of other things for comparing the MTAC to the Scorpion, that are meaningful to me -- I think I will like the cant adjustment features of the MTAC, and just looking at the Scorpion pic, I don't see that type of adjustment. Actually David, from what I have read on the forum, you might be able to help the dig of the grip in your side, by trying the different cant adjustments available with the MTAC. Might help!

Also you mentioned the "gun locking in"-- Does the Scorpion have an adjustment feature for the lock-in (or retention), as does the MTAC?

My only other comment is that for me, another personal preference is the full barrel Kydex coverage on the MTAC (if one specifies a specific weapon for the holster). From the pic, this seems to not be the case on the Scorpion??

David, I hope you find that you have two really good holsters, not by what we say, but by your actual use!!!! Good luck!!

Robert
    Last edited by rdunk; November 28th, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: added comment

Robert,

Scorpion is all Kydex. It is molded in in a contour fashion. Even so I just don't really feel it. It is very comfortable. There is no cant adjustment and it is full barrel coverage. There is no retention adjustment. When you get your MTAC you will see it just slides in and it does hold well. When you holster the gun in the scorpion there is a point where you here a click and you know it is secured. It doesn't do that on the draw.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have put away my other IWB holsters for my G-19 and wear the Scorpion.
    However, this holster is not an easy on easy off holster as you have to put your belt through the loops. If I'm in a situation I have to slip on and off I'll use the Bianchi 120.
    Still the scorpion will be my daily 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I have put away my other IWB holsters for my G-19 and wear the Scorpion.
    However, this holster is not an easy on easy off holster as you have to put your belt through the loops. If I'm in a situation I have to slip on and off I'll use the Bianchi 120.
    Still the scorpion will be my daily 90% of the time.
    Threefeathers:. Really, you're supposed to thread the belt through. If I knew that I would have never bought it. I stick it in my side and just lift the clips over my belt, then push down. LOL. Who knew.

One thing I like about it is that since it is all solid I can easily slide it back a little when sitting and then slide it forward a little when walking (less noticeable for me). With the MTAC the hooks swivel so you can't easily just slide the entire rig back and forward.

I am looking for an easy slip on for times like when going to walk the dog etc... I was thinking of the Minotaur Infidel or similar.

VIP Member
    I have the MTAC... I guess it comes down to if you want the holster to be adjustable...I can easily slide my MTAC back and forth along my belt with the adjustable clips.... I can also adjust the cant and vertical height of the gun...

The scorpion requires the kydex to be formed much tighter around the trigger guard to help with retention, i.e. the click...This isn't required on the MTAC because of the friction provided by the leather...In a situation where retention would be an issue, I would pick the friction of the leather over the slick kydex, but that's me...I also don't like the kydex feel against my skin, I prefer the leather...

That's why we have thousands of holster designs and full holster boxes...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I have the MTAC... I guess it comes down to if you want the holster to be adjustable...I can easily slide my MTAC back and forth along my belt with the adjustable clips.... I can also adjust the cant and vertical height of the gun...

The scorpion requires the kydex to be formed much tighter around the trigger guard to help with retention, i.e. the click...This isn't required on the MTAC because of the friction provided by the leather...In a situation where retention would be an issue, I would pick the friction of the leather over the slick kydex, but that's me...I also don't like the kydex feel against my skin, I prefer the leather...

That's why we have thousands of holster designs and full holster boxes...
    The MTAC is leather inside whee the gun touches it? I didn't realize.

I have both the Scorpion and the Minotaur, the Minotaur is a more comfortable holster because of the leather. The Scorpion is a good holster also, when I first got it I had to slightly buff the inside edges but after that the holster became very comfortable to carry. You will have both use the one that you want. I rotate holsters and carry guns all the time.

I can't comment on the MTAC but I do have the Desantis and I have made a few modifications to it that makes it even MORE comfortable.

First, I took a dremel tool to it and trimmed some of the excess material from it that I didn't think necessary. I wanted to make it as small as possible but still adequately fit my Glock 26. I made sure that any material I trimmed off had a gradual curve so as not to leave any sharp corners. I didn't cut anything from the part that sticks up out of the waistband. I basically made the profile a little shorter. I then lined the entire inside that faces the body with a very thin, smooth leather that I picked up at a nearby Hobby Lobby. I used contact cement to make the bond. I overhung the leather about an eighth of an inch all around to help break the edges of the Kydex.

The result was a very comfortable holster that is THIN, DOESN'T SLIDE AROUND, and has the POSITIVE CLICK I like when holstering. Adding the leather I think made a big difference.

Sponsored Links