Exactly What is the Difference Between a Fantastic Holster and a Functional One? - Page 2

Exactly What is the Difference Between a Fantastic Holster and a Functional One?

This is a discussion on Exactly What is the Difference Between a Fantastic Holster and a Functional One? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know it is true: you get what you pay for. I've never been convinced that's true. I think the actual truth is that you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exactly What is the Difference Between a Fantastic Holster and a Functional One?

pax
    I know it is true: you get what you pay for.
    I've never been convinced that's true. I think the actual truth is that you never get what you don't pay for (one way or the other). Sometimes you don't get what you do pay for, though. Caveat emptor & all that.

Here's one factor: as a general rule, the more the holster costs the more willing the holstermaker should be to customize it for you. Want a slightly different cant? Or a different way to attach the holster to your belt? Maybe a fuller cut at the back or a deeper ride? Any of those alterations require going to a custom shop and shelling out the bucks.

I think the smartest way to know if you're at that point, where you'll benefit from paying the big bucks, is to ask yourself whether you currently have any off-the-shelf holsters that "would be perfect IF _____." If you do, then you're probably ready to find a maker to produce the perfect holster for you.

Otherwise? Maybe you can scratch customization off your list of things to consider.

Another factor: a high-end holster will stand up to literal years of wear. For instance, I'm currently wearing a Ted Blocker IWB holster that I purchased over a year ago. I've worn it every single day since then and have drawn thousands of times. Apart from a few scuffs, the holster is as good as the day I got it: the stitching is just as tight, the belt attachment just as secure, the opening just as stiff. It's still solid -- and it will remain solid for many years to come. Does this mean that off the shelf holsters won't hold up over time? Sadly, yes, that's been my experience. They just don't tend to be built (or overbuilt) for the long haul as a lovingly made holster from a good shop.

Does this matter to you? If it's not your "perfect" holster, I cannot for the life of me see why it would. If it's not perfect, you're going to keep shopping for new holsters anyway. That means you'll probably replace it and move on long before it could wear out anyway.

For me, I think the bottom line is that a beautiful, solid custom holster is a lifetime investment. Dabble with as many designs as you like at the mid-range prices, and go for the high end when you're ready to make an informed commitment.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

...putting an ugly black plastic FNP-9 into a pretty light-tan leather holster with a nice retention snap-strap device, with a matching belt that must only be worn with matching shoes or boots. Men are more sensible shoppers than purse-and-shoe-crazy womenfolk.

Administrator
    There are some really great holster makers these days.
    The leather that is available today is some of the best ever produced for concealed carry.
    Still though it's hard to beat a M. Sparks or the nearly presently unattainable Matt Del Fatti.

I guess I'm the oddball here, but here goes. I only carry concealed, so to me comfort and function is all that matters, not looks. Nobody will see my holster so why care about looks? I have two holsters made of nylon, one for my Sig P220, and one that I share between my medium frame Taurus M65 .357 and my Ruger Vaquero .357. Both of these holsters are extremely light and comfortable, and very strong. Both fit very tight and close to the body and I hardly notice the weight of my guns at all. Sure, I'll replace them about every five or six years, but so what, for $20.00 each it's no big deal. I have nothing against good leather and beauty, I think it"s the only way to go, IF you open carry for everyone to see and admire. Uncle Mike & Blackhawk make good quality holsters and work just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I guess I'm the oddball here, but here goes. I only carry concealed, so to me comfort and function is all that matters, not looks. Nobody will see my holster so why care about looks? I have two holsters made of nylon, one for my Sig P220, and one that I share between my medium frame Taurus M65 .357 and my Ruger Vaquero .357. Both of these holsters are extremely light and comfortable, and very strong. Both fit very tight and close to the body and I hardly notice the weight of my guns at all. Sure, I'll replace them about every five or six years, but so what, for $20.00 each it's no big deal. I have nothing against good leather and beauty, I think it"s the only way to go, IF you open carry for everyone to see and admire. Uncle Mike & Blackhawk make good quality holsters and work just fine for me.
    Nylon holsters that do not stay open for reholstering are bad news , IMO.

But beauty is in the function and quality can be hidden. Selection of the right raw leather [not easy to do] and leather can be expensive.
    The details of design and the techniques of construction, glued and sewn seams are more important than perfectly straight stich lines and spacing.
    Here are some that I built of the years and the one I've carried nearly 20,000 hours in the last 3 years.

My currently use holster, 3 years old.

the wide loop spacing and tight fit on a 1-3/4" belt makes it stable.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

My nylon holsters stay open just fine, no problem re- holstering at all.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa made for my S&W Sigma 40, with a great and safe retention device which is nice. I have two form-fitting leather holsters for a S&W Model 60 snubbie, and an FNP-9. But...I also have some cheaper black-fabric and leather ones to give me more leeway for these and other guns, thus fitting more than one with, some with a magazine, if you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links