Holster Fit?

This is a discussion on Holster Fit? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a OWB leather holster for a particular gun and found after much struggle that I could not get the gun to properly ...

Thread: Holster Fit?

Holster Fit?

I recently bought a OWB leather holster for a particular gun and found after much struggle that I could not get the gun to properly fit and get a smooth draw.

However, it does fit another gun that I also carry, but because I stretched the leather so much to try and get the holster to fit the original gun I bought it for, the fit of the second gun is quite loose.

It is a loose fit with minimum retention, but has a very smooth, quick draw. I might also add that the trigger is completly covered.

When I walk around or sit there is no problem with the gun staying put in the holster.

I would like to start using this holster with my EDC.

Do you think that the loose fit of the gun in the holster creates a safety issue? I don't think so, but thought that I may be overlooking some issue.

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

I think that since "loose" is such a relative, or subjective, term, only you may be able to decide if there is a safety issue present or not. As always, common sense prevails.

The only thing I could recommend would be to find a holster actually made for the second gun and see how it fits. You may decide at that point that you prefer that holster more than the loose holster which was made for another gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound94 View Post
    I think that since "loose" is such a relative, or subjective, term, only you may be able to decide if there is a safety issue present or not. As always, common sense prevails.

The only thing I could recommend would be to find a holster actually made for the second gun and see how it fits. You may decide at that point that you prefer that holster more than the loose holster which was made for another gun.
    Concur. Which gun did you originaly plan for your EDC? If it is the firearm that you originaly bought the holster for and the holster is made of leather I would store the firearm in the holster for a few days and see if the fit improved.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Hi Ron,

It is not unusual to get a holster that when new is so tight you cannot draw easily. In fact I got a new one several months ago that was so tight when I forced my gun into it (DUMB DUMB) I could not get it out with my wife helping me.
    I had to leave it in the holster over night, and then using all my strength I removed it. Then I started the plastic bag/wax paper treatment. It took several days to get it like I wanted it - tight for retention, but a smooth draw.

I recently went through this for a couple of mag/flashlight pouches, but now they are tight, but not difficult to draw from.

Have you tried to get the holster loose enough for the gun you wanted by using the plastic bag treatment?

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post

Jerry is right. I think you should work at breaking in the holster for the intended gun rather than using it as a loose fit for another gun.

If its really tight, use freezer bags. There a little heavier than the regular ones.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Ever get a pair of boots wet and when they dried you couldn't the on again?

Leather is a natural product and it is made with water soaking washes in water.

Getting the holster damp lets you stretch it a little. Soak it and you can stretch it a lot.

I usually make holster a little small and soak the holster about 20 minutes and then force the gun [which been treated with WD 40, lightly and wiped off] into the leather. The leather is "boned" and the gun removed to dry. Before it is "dry" the gun is again inserted, boned and any changes need done.

If the holster is loose, I usually sew another line on the seam, the leather, if it has been stretched might shrink if wetted and allowed to dry. Then fit it again.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    One problem is that with holsters with a wide footprint, when they are put on they bend slightly resulting in tightening the holster. I have found that I need to use the plastic while the gun is in the holster and wear it for a few hours.
    That is what I had to do recently to get the mag/light carrier loose enough so that I could draw the flashlight when I was wearing the carrier.

Regards,
    Jerry

Good holsters are built for specific guns. Unless it begins with "Uncle", never try to make a holster work for a gun it was not intended for.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    For the next time around I would recommend one of the holster makers’ pre-lube products. Mitch-Rosen has it under the name of Leather Lightening and Galco has something similar and so on.

Look under the 'Miscellaneous' section: http://www.mitchrosen.com
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    There are some good recommendations here, but possibly with some exceptions. What are the guns?

The leather WILL fit the gun it was made for, you might just have to get a little more aggressive with it.

You might also consider contacting the maker (if it's custom), or any maker for specific instructions on how to proceed.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Stoner Holsters, of Hamilton, Ohio, sells Beeswax to treat their leather with. I had to buy me a pretty [light-tan] leather one to go with my new FNP-9 gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi Ron,

It is not unusual to get a holster that when new is so tight you cannot draw easily. In fact I got a new one several months ago that was so tight when I forced my gun into it (DUMB DUMB) I could not get it out with my wife helping me.
    I had to leave it in the holster over night, and then using all my strength I removed it. Then I started the plastic bag/wax paper treatment. It took several days to get it like I wanted it - tight for retention, but a smooth draw.

I recently went through this for a couple of mag/flashlight pouches, but now they are tight, but not difficult to draw from.

Have you tried to get the holster loose enough for the gun you wanted by using the plastic bag treatment?

Regards,
    Jerry
    Jerry, thanks. Yes, I tried the bag and even the sock treatment, but it still snagged on the draw.

Actually, I realized that with the other gun, when I tightened my belt the fit and retention became much better and it is working just fine for me now.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Ever get a pair of boots wet and when they dried you couldn't the on again?

Leather is a natural product and it is made with water soaking washes in water.

Getting the holster damp lets you stretch it a little. Soak it and you can stretch it a lot.

I usually make holster a little small and soak the holster about 20 minutes and then force the gun [which been treated with WD 40, lightly and wiped off] into the leather. The leather is "boned" and the gun removed to dry. Before it is "dry" the gun is again inserted, boned and any changes need done.

If the holster is loose, I usually sew another line on the seam, the leather, if it has been stretched might shrink if wetted and allowed to dry. Then fit it again.
    I do something similar, except I take my wife's hair dryer to it and set the leather after being boned. Seems to work and hold up well after it dries.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Links