Uncle Mike's PDA Holster Disappointment

This is a discussion on Uncle Mike's PDA Holster Disappointment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my Uncle Mikes Ankle Holster today and it actually fits. I have worn it a couple hours now and while I know it's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncle Mike's PDA Holster Disappointment

I received my Uncle Mikes Ankle Holster today and it actually fits. I have worn it a couple hours now and while I know it's there, it doesn't hurt. If I wear it enough I expect to mostly forget about it. I guess it's good enough for now.

2. Remove Ads

I wish you the best with that Uncle Mike's, but as many others have stated, you get what you pay for.
    NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Uncle Mikes stuff is what you get when you buy Uncle Mike's stuff. It might actually fit your needs. I have one Uncle Mikes which actually worked out nicely after I did a little "surgery" on the thing. It isn't an Andrews holster and they don't claim to be in the same league.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Cousin? I thought Fobus was his step brother on his cousins side.
    Redheaded step brother at that!

OK, I guess I'm done with Uncle Mike. I fail to see how anybody can wear the ankle holster without a pad as the Velcro strips are right there. Also, my ankles are soooo skinny the bottom part slides right down even when fully tightened. That puts all the weight on the calf support which makes the lower edge dig into my calf about a 1/4".

So I bought a Blackhawk pocket holster and actually like it for now. Of course when needed, I'll have to negotiate a time-out with the BG while I dig it out!

I saw a picture (I think on the sig forum) of a member using the desantis PDA like holster for his p238. It was a really tight fit, but it worked so it might work out for you if you try that one.

I'm not sure about how fast the zipper and draw would be, but I do like the option.

well just throw it into the holster foot locker. over the years you will find yourself with holsters that do not work.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Hmmm I guess it depends on what you get. I have a vertical shoulder holster for a 29 with 8" barrel and yes its an Uncle Mikes. I bought it to keep the massive cannon on my person while at the range. Turns out its not all that bad for concealment either, toss a jacket on and you CCW a 8" 44 magnum. It cost me 35 bucks which beats the heck out of the nearest leather counterpart.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: Some comments on this thread: 1) For all the good things said by posters and internet on more expensive holsters, check on return policy; it may look good and have great poster comments but until you put it on, you never can be sure. 2) Have a cheap Mikes pocket for keltec P3AT and, like all pocket holsters, seems to work but moves around a lot in pocket to the extent it is in the back of my mind when I try to present firearm. Using a piece of narrow bike inner tube sliced open so it fits over bottom of holster and is long enough that I can fold over ends with about 1/2 inch sticking out (wings) at each end, I fit it to bottom of holster, glued porion that is under bottom of holster and then wrapped the wings and the length of the tubing with the sticky tennis racket or hockey stick tape making sure the tape also was slightly attached to holster at point where wing extends out from holster. Sort of coated the entire taping with a light coat of silicone-type glue to kind of bind everything together and suprisingly, it created a very firm, yet wing flexible (I slightly bend the wings, put the holster in pocket, and let the wings kind of flex out to the sides of the pocket) design that stays in pocket a great deal better. As I saw other holster designs, I appreciated the "thumb push" design (see FIST Holster), and glued several sections of tubing or piece of bike tire as a protrusion to top side edge of holster where your thumb would be when you try to remove firearm. As you grip firearm, you can push against this protrusion and it enables firearm removal. Pretty ugly but cheap, efficient, and it is in my pocket so who cares?
    PS: Purchased a REAL thumb push model from FIST but my original cheapo still works.

The only use I have found for an Uncle Mike's holster is Gorilla glueing velcro to it to go inside my Maxpedition Versipack. And for holding it up and saying "don't buy holsters like this."

Holsters are just like most any tool, the good ones are woth the little extra.

Here is the picture of the holster I mentioned earlier in the thread

Found on this thread.

I really like the looks of the DeSantis E-Z Rider N30 and it apparently fits snug - not flopping around. However, my Mustang won't fit. They make 3 models with this being the small. They don't list the Mustang for any but I may call and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: Some comments on this thread: 1) For all the good things said by posters and internet on more expensive holsters, check on return policy; it may look good and have great poster comments but until you put it on, you never can be sure. 2) Have a cheap Mikes pocket for keltec P3AT and, like all pocket holsters, seems to work but moves around a lot in pocket to the extent it is in the back of my mind when I try to present firearm. Using a piece of narrow bike inner tube sliced open so it fits over bottom of holster and is long enough that I can fold over ends with about 1/2 inch sticking out (wings) at each end, I fit it to bottom of holster, glued porion that is under bottom of holster and then wrapped the wings and the length of the tubing with the sticky tennis racket or hockey stick tape making sure the tape also was slightly attached to holster at point where wing extends out from holster. Sort of coated the entire taping with a light coat of silicone-type glue to kind of bind everything together and suprisingly, it created a very firm, yet wing flexible (I slightly bend the wings, put the holster in pocket, and let the wings kind of flex out to the sides of the pocket) design that stays in pocket a great deal better. As I saw other holster designs, I appreciated the "thumb push" design (see FIST Holster), and glued several sections of tubing or piece of bike tire as a protrusion to top side edge of holster where your thumb would be when you try to remove firearm. As you grip firearm, you can push against this protrusion and it enables firearm removal. Pretty ugly but cheap, efficient, and it is in my pocket so who cares?
    PS: Purchased a REAL thumb push model from FIST but my original cheapo still works.
    Hey kelcarry

post some pics so we can see your handywork

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Super J: I know how to use my firearm, I know how to write this post and go on the internet and do email, I know how to mow the lawn, I know how to say "yes dear" BUT I do not know how to get pix on this forum. I have instructions and will try. It amazes me that my concoction of a holster actually works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links