Holster Decision for Mousegun

This is a discussion on Holster Decision for Mousegun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey Y'all: I am sure this has been discussed many times before so I apologize beforehand; there seem to be more holsters available these days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Decision for Mousegun

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Holster Decision for Mousegun

hey Y'all: I am sure this has been discussed many times before so I apologize beforehand; there seem to be more holsters available these days than ever before due to current Washington policy and a refresher course is welcome. I have a Kel Tec P3AT mousegun and am looking for advice on preferred carrying position and reasonably priced holsters that are preferred by forum members for their preferred carrying position. I originally purchased gun for pocket carry but I find the lack of any kind of "securing clip", regardless of sticky surface, allows the holster to move around---the pistol may come out OK, but the movement of the holster is still disconcerting. Again--sorry for rehash

2. Remove Ads

i use the uncle mikes pocket holster for small auto size zero for the p3at. also i use the kel tec belt clip. both work well and i have not had any problems. both are cheap and easy.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    'Big pocket holster fan here too. To me that's the redeeming value of the mousegun. I use an uncle mike's for the snubbie and absolutely love the 'Guru' leather wallet holster for the LCP:

Here's the P3AT version:
    http://pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Po...t_holster.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    +1 I would have one if I had a pocket auto...but I chose a revolover. That is some nice stuff.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Hey frankmako: Thanks for the reply. I assume you use the Mikes holster AND with the P3AT AND the clip. I assume the clip is on the right side of pistol and whatever is left of the pistol in your pocket is in the holster--am I correct and if I am, how much of the pistol is still sticking out of the holster? I looked at the clip and I kind of get the impression that not very much of the pistol is in the holster or if it is, the holster is riding way up in the pocket near the pocket's opening.(Hope I explained that well)

hey WHEC724: The Mike's holster may stay in your pocket but dosen't it move around a bit when you try to pull the pistol. If you wear loose-type warmup pants or sweats like I do, I would assume the holster may actually come out of the big loose pocket. The Guru, that you mentioned seems to prevent any real "holster pullout" because of the flat plate-part of this 2-piece holster --is that a correct assumption?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I normally carry my KT P3AT in a Fobus paddle at 3:00 position.

Other tiimes I use a Hume 001. I have found that for a pocket holster I need a hook/wing to keep the holster in the pocket when I draw the gun.

Regards,
    Jerry

hey JerryM and y'all: For say tight jeans pockets, the standard pocket holster with the "hook/wing" probably is OK. I like to wear sweat pants or the sport-type pants that are kind of loose fitting and find the simple hook type pocket holster to still slide around a lot--it may not come out but it does ride up to the opening of the pocket. I have performed a home-made job on a Mikes holster that uses a sliced piece of narrow bike inner tube and typical tape used on handles of hockey sticks or tennis rackets to create wings on both sides of the holster (they are each a little less than 1 inch and they bend to fit the pocket firmly)--it tends to work but I would be happy to find something other than my homemade design.

My P-3AT is not my EDC (as is the Glock-36), but at times I want the KT .380 along I tuck it into my kidney area in this... FIST, INC. Now I can actually be wearing just gym shorts without a belt and the gun is safe and secure. (palm out draw).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry my LCP (identical to P3AT) in an Uncle Mike's size 0 pocket holster. I have found that drawing in a quick motion, as you would in an emergency situation, the holster always stays in my pocket, even with light loose shorts. Also, after a bit the holster forms to the gun which also facilitates a clean draw. It's such an inexpensive holster it's worth getting to try out. If you don't like it, no big loss.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    hey WHEC724: The Mike's holster may stay in your pocket but dosen't it move around a bit when you try to pull the pistol. If you wear loose-type warmup pants or sweats like I do, I would assume the holster may actually come out of the big loose pocket. The Guru, that you mentioned seems to prevent any real "holster pullout" because of the flat plate-part of this 2-piece holster --is that a correct assumption?
    With the Mike's holster, I always put it in my front right pocket (even an 'Airweight' has enough heft to keep it centered in the bottom of the pocket). When I draw, I place my thumb against the hammer of my 637 and the tip of my thumb pops the holster free. Sweat pants do present a challenge for keeping things secured, hence I don't wear them.

If I'm wearing slacks/dress pants, the Guru holster will ride in my front right pocket as well, or inside the breast pocket of a suit jacket, but will require my thumb wrapped around the butt of the gun while my finger tips push the holster back. However I usually carry it in my right rear pocket with jeans, just like a wallet. That draw is just a simple thumb-hook around the butt again, and I'm good to go. The LCP (or P-3AT in your case) is thin enough that I can sit on it all day, and forget that it's there.

Good luck on finding what works best for you!

Hey Y'all: Just took a look at replies and want to thank you. Still lookin and accepting comments. Thanks again for prompt replies. I may end up with my home remedy using bendable inner tube for custom wings that really "mold and hold" in the pocket--sometimes home remedies are the best.

All pockets all different. What might work in a pair of jeans will likely not work in a pair of cargo pants. You can trace the size of your pocket on a piece of paper and ask the holster maker to adjust the size of the holster to fit. I have found that smaller holsters in bigger pockets have a tendency to flip around. One size pocket holster is not likely to work for everything.

Back pocket carry is less likely to flip around, but it will if you have real wide back pockets. But again the holster can be made to fit any size pocket.

IWB may be an option as you won't have to worry about anything flipping around.

Good luck on your search!

I use a Stellar Rigs Pocket C holster for my Seecamp 32. It's a fantastic kydex holster that allows the carry of a spare magazine. It's easy for me to draw and the holster is really easy to keep in place. I simply draw by holding the grip and simultraneously push off the magazine using my middle finger. The holster stays in my pocket and the gun comes right out.

You can adjust the tension by adjusting a screw to your liking. It took me abour 5 minutes to adjust it to my liking.

Stellar_Pocketholsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links