Need help finding a drop leg holster

This is a discussion on Need help finding a drop leg holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be taking my kids hiking this coming spring, and that means wearing a day pack and a kid pack. So, any IWB, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a drop leg holster

Need help finding a drop leg holster

I'm going to be taking my kids hiking this coming spring, and that means wearing a day pack and a kid pack. So, any IWB, OWB, shoulder rig, or ankle rig will not be easily accessible.

It looks like a drop leg set up will be my best option. I don't want the standered nylon one you can find for about $15-25...I tried one and the retentions system makes it rather hard to draw.

If you know where to get a quality one, or if you know how to make one let me know. Right now I would be looking for one for a Ruger P95 with rail or a SR9 with rail
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good luck, I havent found one yet that is really comfortable on long humps. The best I did find was Safarilands.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I used to have an Uncle Mike's drop leg holster for my P95. It wasn't too bad of a holster, their fitted stuff is definitely better than their "one size fits all" stuff.

The elastic bands did stretch out though after a few months of use.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I have always thought these looked handy dandy...there is even a demo video.

G-CODE REAC Ready Tactical Holster
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I used this one from Spectre in Iraq and it's held up for 3 deployments...The rubber in the leg straps is long gone now, but it's still held up.
    Tactical Thigh Holsters

It's not that comfortable for walking long distance, but I don't think any drop leg holster will be. The straps kind of rub on your leg, even through pants. I wasn't humping in it though, since I'm aircrew.

It held up pretty decently through 21 months of carry. As far as easy access, It has a thumb break with a snap. I was able to keep it snapped and still draw very quickly. If you wanted added security, it had a velcro strap that could go over the strap, but I never used it.

It fits the M9, and I've confirmed it fits with a Sig P229 and P226. It's pretty universal for a full size frame, and some compacts, but would definitely not work with a sub compact.

*edit* they have a model for the ruger P-89/90 so it would probably fit a 95?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I'm not expecting it to be overly comfortable, just easier to draw from for a short 2-5 mile walk. I'll have a daypack on my back and a kid pack on my front so I just wont have access to any sort of waist band or shoulder holster...as for reaching for an ankle holster with 2 packs on, I think I would fall over.

Now I have some more info to read over, but please keep the suggestions coming.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Administrator
    The G-Code drop leg would be a safe bet.
    Eagle Industries

mama: Post back if you find something. I searched quite a bit over the tail end of the summer and didn't find a drop-leg holster that I liked. I try not to recommend something other than what's asked for, but here is what I went with when I was faced with the same problem.
    Guide's Choice Holster (I carry a G19). I've got no problems carrying it with my day pack/ pack-in bag, and I suspect when my boy is old enough for the kid carrier it will work well with that too.

The one thing I would change is the retention strap isn't a true "thumb-break" which slows the draw some. With some practice I feel comfortable with it now.

Post back if you do find a good drop-leg holster as I wouldn't mind having one of those also :-)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ummm why hasnt anyone mentioned the Blackhawk SERPA rigs? I'm in the process of replacing all my Safariland rigs with Blackhawks.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Ummm why hasnt anyone mentioned the Blackhawk SERPA rigs? I'm in the process of replacing all my Safariland rigs with Blackhawks.

+1 on all Blackhawk drop leg holster. I have had several of them through out the years. You can also look at Eagle Industries.
    The Blackhawk is modular so you can mount what you would like on it and adjust it to where it is most comfortable for you.

I buy a lot of my military gear from OpsGear. I believe the website is OPSGEAR.

I have found them to have decent prices and excellent customer service. I have both a single leg strap and a double leg strap for my rigs and love both of them. I carry a berretta Px4 .40 or a taurus 917 9mm. The rigs hold the weapon solidly and I haven't had any issues.

Just my .02.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

Camp Shelby has a new Tactical Gear store. I haven't been in there yet, but I will be going soon. I don't know if they are going to have anything for a P95. If they have anything I will get the manufacture and mod number.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ok, I've looked through quite a few sites and read a tone of info.
    Blackhawk Serpa look awesome, but they don't make one for a Ruger P95 or SR9
    Opsgear looks good, but I would like to avoid nylon if at all possible.
    The Guides Choice Holster is on my hunting gear list for next year, but wont work for me in this instance. My little girl's Kelty pack would cover it and she would be leaning right up against it pressing it into my ribs.

Stevew, let me know if they do have anything at Camp Shelby for a Ruger P95 or SR9 when you get a chance to poke around their Tactical Gear store.

Right now I'm thinking of going with a Blackhawk tactical holster platform and the Serpa quick disconnect kit. From there I can make a kydex holster for both my P95 and SR9, attach the Serpa kit to the platform and the holster and have my drop leg holster. Here are some pic of the Blackhawk and Serpa gear I'm talking about...

What do you guys thing of this idea?

I have used that holster set up you are lookin at using with the armies m9 and it worked well for me. I humped quite a bit with it and liked it. I also have a blackhawk holster that is all nylon and love it. It was for the 1911 and it fits my xd and my buddies glock. I bet it would fit your sr9.

+1 on the balckhawk....I also wore it in Iraq...tough as hell...never-ever failed. You won't be sorry.
    John VanDusen

"Whether it's a football game or an IED attack, you play EXACTLY how your practice."

"Put your trust in God, and keep your powder dry." ~Oliver Cromwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links