Can someone help me?

This is a discussion on Can someone help me? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With holsters . First some background: I used to be a normally "formed" male who had hips and love handles so when I wore my ...

Thread: Can someone help me?

Can someone help me?

With holsters .

First some background: I used to be a normally "formed" male who had hips and love handles so when I wore my rig at 4:30 strong side I had no problems.

I have gradual muscle degeneration (body is eating muscle/fat) and now I have no hips/love handles and weigh in at a "fat" 145 Lbs (on a 6' frame). Nothing can really be done, it has to reverse itself.

So I'm looking for a holster that will work on a hip-less person. Think of a 2x4 and that's what I need to strap onto.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

2. Remove Ads

Start with a good wide belt. Look at a pancake design.
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

My wife's dad is that way. He uses a wide belt and a pancake holster and carries at about 2 or 2:30 position (or sometimes crossdraw, but also well forward of where I'd position the holster).

Assistant Administrator
    Wayne - I would consider just a belt-slide pancake, similar to what I have in the Defender. If your middle does not make for your biggest circumference then I really think this can work and only needs a light cover garment.

I am also imagining IWB would basically be too darned uncomfortable with you having minimal padding. I am 6.00 also but bit over 200# and yet still am a tad ''boney'' round middle - so find OWB just right.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wayne,
    Really need a little more info here such as what is your preferred method of carry (OWB, IWB) and what is your carry pistol of choice?
    I was that skinny when I first started carrying in about 17 years ago (5'11", 140 lbs, 28 inch waist). I'll never see that again! This was well before I started making holsters. My carry gun was an HKP7 in an Alessi Talon IWB worn at 3:30-4 o'clock and the combo worked very well with almost any type of concealment attire. Any of the "summer special" style IWBs should work well for you. If OWB is how you want to go, though a pancake style with front and rear loops usually does the best job of concealing tight to the body as stated in the previos responses, any holster with front and rear extensions may be too wide for your frame. You may be better served by a Nelson Professional/Avenger style; a holster of front wrap design with belt tunnel on the rear of the holster and belt slot behind the pistol at the trigger-guard.
    As to carry piece, the most difficult part to conceal on any pistol worn strong-side is the grip. The overall length of the gun itself doesn't matter, especially if worn IWB. It's the grip that is going to print. The reduction in grip length between a standard 1911 and an Officer's model can make a world of difference in concealability. For someone of your size, if you haven't settled on a carry piece yet, I would recommend something with a shorter grip.
    Another carry option if you opt for a smaller pistol, (Kahr, Glock 26/27, HK 2000SK) is appendix carry OWB. The pistol is worn up front, strong-side at about 01:30 , or crossdraw at about 11:30. Aquisition in this form of carry can be incredibly fast, but many people find it difficult to conceal. It can be done with the right concealing garments. I think the main reason it doesn't work for most people is that you cannot have any sort of gut what-so-ever. I don't think that will be an issue with you.
    Hope this helps some.
    Good luck!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Howdy!
    Mark pretty well nailed it. I personally do not care for an appendix carry - but otherwise I would have to say "ditto" to everything that he said.
    While OWB is always slightly faster and more comfortable than IWB, I too think that IWB is still an option for you - providing that you select the holster that is right for you. I would need more information in order to advise you further - weapon? Mode of dress? Climate? Please feel free to call me to discuss your situation more specifically (and I won't twist your arm to buy a holster) Helping newbies is a big part of what we do. Good luck!

Galco Concealable.

Back about 16 years ago I was 6' 2" and weighed 132 pounds and I was like a rail.I carried a Colt Commander in a Summer Special.It worked great for me and it may for you.Just one more added note--Don't forget to get a well made belt that was made for carrying guns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Mark,

When I was able, I carried a Kimber Pro-Carry at 4:30 IWB. I found that to be the most comfortable for me and that is how I practiced. When I carried the USP or the Star Model Super it was the same.

I've gotten to where I would like to go back to the 4:30 position (right hand side) IWB because that is what I had practiced when I was able. Right now I am wearing a Taurus .38 in ankle holster because that was the other form of wearing that I had practiced a great deal.

As for what Chris said, I've been noticing that also even on my ankle. Today I decided to wear all day and I have a bruise in the shape of a gun on my ankle (with the HBP I also take an aspirin a day and with no "padding" even there it dug into the bone).

Since the 4:30 position is basically right above the kidney (soft tissue) and not bone, the carrying of the .45's is still comfortable but the holster that I have for it (a Galco, I know, they are cheap but they worked for me) pulls the belt down from the weight. I wear a (forgot the name of it, bought it years ago) belt that is double in thickness and double stiched (stiff) and worked like a charm to distrubute the weight but now it has nothing to really grip. Even if I tighten it up to the newly made holes.

In all my years of carry, I have tried it all and done it all. The thunderwear, the belly band, shoulder holster, apendix, SOB (now that one I can still do with the .38 with a Gould & Goodrich but it's not fun to sit with it on), and even Mexican. I do have a .32 Tomcat that I can use for pocket but well, it ain't my .45 (you know what I mean).

I really don't like the idea of off carry. To tell you the truth if my body parts weren't screwed on I would have lost them all by now. It's not that I'm an irresponsable person or negligent, just abet absent minded when things aren't attached to me physically.

OWB never set well with me either. It was too hard to try to continually conceal since I needed cover. My boss may allow me to where untucked Hawian (sp?) shirts to work but a huge change in dress would draw attention (I'm a shirt tucked in kinda guy). The Galco's that I use I could "tuck" a shirt and still draw with good speed (years of practice and experimentation) and still be able to walk around the office with no one knowing.

So, if that helps, I would be apprecitive of any suggestions that I may try.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Being naturally thin myself (by the way good luck with your medical condition) I would imagine that a pancake holster, although comfortable, may produce a most obvious bulge on your narrow frame. What about pocket carry? By the way, what is your current carry piece?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    Galco Concealable.
    +1
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/galco.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Wayne

I also have no hips and had to have my belt uncomfortably tight to keep the weight of my gun from pulling my pants down. Not good. I carry in either a Versa Max II or a DeSantis Insider holster. The solution was an old fashion one, a pair of suspenders. I have a pair of bright red Perry suspenders with plastic belt hooks that clip over my Aker B21 belt. All the weight is supported by the suspenders, very comfortable and no more pants around the knees. Of course the bright red suspenders are usually covered by a shirt or jacket. Maybe this approach will work for you.

I have been a lurker on the forum for a couple of months and think it's a great resource. It's been a help to me so I thought I would register and maybe help someone else.

Brad

Wayne:
    Have you considered something like that undershirt rig "Fed Wif a Sig" wears? Seems it's be almost ideal with your thinner stature and probably a good bit more comfortable than pressing a gun into your torso.
    http://www.uccomfort.com/3XHHolster.html
    Hope your health problems get sorted out soon. Good luck Buddy.
    Jack

Welcome REM 514!!!! We really like to have good new people to talk to and hope that you enjoy the expertise around here. There are some of the best, really talented "Holster Makers" and some really good shooters on this Forum, and we do welcome you. See you around Brad.
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

Links