Making pocket carry work.

This is a discussion on Making pocket carry work. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After driving myself crazy trying to find trousers that work with pocket carry, I came to my own solution. I buy the trousers/jeans to fit ...

Thread: Making pocket carry work.

Making pocket carry work.

After driving myself crazy trying to find trousers that work with pocket carry, I came to my own solution. I buy the trousers/jeans to fit comfortable and then have seamstress modify right front pocket. She sews in an extended and reinforced front pocket "annex" that is anchored to the same points as the old pocket. Pocket is stronger and deeper. My Nemesis holster and trusty S&W Centennial dissappear into the pocket.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

I found that the only guns that work for pocket carry no matter what are the small, flat and light .380s like the Ruger LCP (or something even smaller, of course).

I pocket-carried a PM9 for a few years, but found that some pants had pockets that were too shallow for it, and the grip would peek out unless I wore a jacket or something. The weight was also an issue with thin dress pants.

I'm in the process of getting another LCP as an "always" pistol for this reason - my wife has one already, and she made it clear she's not parting with it!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Good idea! I've heard of others doing the same, but never saw pictures of it. My PM9 typically rides with me in my front right pocket, but today I happen to have my wife's .38.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I found that the only guns that work for pocket carry no matter what are the small, flat and light .380s like the Ruger LCP (or something even smaller, of course).

I pocket-carried a PM9 for a few years, but found that some pants had pockets that were too shallow for it, and the grip would peek out unless I wore a jacket or something. The weight was also an issue with thin dress pants.

I'm in the process of getting another LCP as an "always" pistol for this reason - my wife has one already, and she made it clear she's not parting with it!
    If by pocket carry you mean you don't feel the gun is there, then you are restricted to mouseguns. I have carried a J Frame in my right front pocket for years. Blued and stainless steel up to a couple of years ago (now Airweight). The round cylinder molds in with the contour of my leg and is not noticable. As far as weight goes, if you applied the same reasoning to a belt gun (feels the same as if it weren't there), you would never carry a gun! You are always going to feel that the gun is there and that it is a different feel than no gun at all. After a while you get used to the weight and cease to really notice it. The extended pocket shown takes the grip out of sight. If you are wearing tight jeans and trousers you are probably right about pocket carry, including mouse guns! Different strokes for different folks!

I think most people expect too much from pocket carry. The carry pocket has to be gun carry dedicated and you have to get used to the feel of some extra weight. I need to note that I am an older guy (66) and wear my clothes looser and more comfortable. I also wear a good belt and Perry suspenders under some sort of loose shirt or sweater. Pocket carry is not a real good choice for the fashion minded. Us old Ivy League "preppy" types can get away with it.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I pocket carry in shorts durning the summer as ther tend to have deep pockets and in my vest pocket durning the winter. This works for me as I have 3 guns that I carry and a range of ways to carry each of them.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Wow! Those look seriously deep! How much does it cost to get that added?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Wow! Those look seriously deep! How much does it cost to get that added?
    My seamstress charges me $8.00 per pair of trousers/jeans. It is worth it!

Luckily my mother is an excellent seamstress, I might give her the challenge
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    gives a new meaning to the phrase "having deep pockets"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

What I was getting at is that the LCP (and similar) is the only type of handgun that will fit in just about any pair of men's pants (women's pants are different - some have pockets so small you can't even get a cell phone in them!).

The small .380s are light and flat enough that printing is not as much of an issue, even in thin dress pants. And they are small enough to not need any modifications to your pockets - though I do think that is a cool idea!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Great Idea!!!! I appreciate the pic. I've had the bottoms of pockets reinforced with thicker material after keys poked a hole in them but I didn't think to have it modified like this. I primarily pocket carry and wear dress pants and suits a vast majority of the time and this is seriously cool. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links