New to IWB/CCW - Need some Assistance

New to IWB/CCW - Need some Assistance

This is a discussion on New to IWB/CCW - Need some Assistance within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all! I'm quite new to concealed carry, and have been carrying for about the last two weeks with my S&W 442 in a renegade ...

Thread: New to IWB/CCW - Need some Assistance

Question New to IWB/CCW - Need some Assistance

Hey all!

I'm quite new to concealed carry, and have been carrying for about the last two weeks with my S&W 442 in a renegade cozy partner ankle holster, and absolutely love it! The thing disappears with the right pants, (my boot cut pants work great), and I can hardly notice the rig on my leg.

I'm now in the search for an IWB holster and belt for my Sig P239, and am currently quite torn between all the options before me. Here's what I've been considering and I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight into your opinions, experiences, and thoughts on each option. I've included with each option some of my thoughts, which has lead me to include them amongst my options. I've tried to do my homework reading all the threads I could.

Being that I'm completely new to IWB carry, where should I start?

Option #1:

High noon holster + Wilderness Instructors Belt:

HNH seems to have some great holsters out there, specifically was looking at the Bare Asset or Split Decision. Also heard great things about the Wilderness Instructors belt. This option is clearly the easiest on my wallet, as it'd roughly come out to: $30-35 for the holster + $50 for the belt, so roughly around $90.

Here are some of my thoughts on this option. The Holsters from HNH seem quite nice as they are relatively small in size and that to me makes them seem like they'd be easier to conceal compared to some larger holsters that seem to have more material (supertuck). The belt also appeals to me because of the lack of belt holes to fasten it, meaning I'll have a wider range of options when strapping my gear on, not restricted to the distance from hole-to-hole on other belts. If I'm not carrying IWB I can snug it down a bit tighter, and vice-versa

The only downside I see to the belt is the tactical nature of the belt, however this would only be an issue when dressing things up, and really how often do people look at your belt? None the less, it still is something to consider.

Option #2:

Crossbreed Supertuck + Belt

I've always heard good things about the supertuck, and the accompanying belt with velcro + v-clips seems like a great option. This option would be a bit more, coming to around $150 with LEO discount for combat cut supertuck and belt.

Thoughts on this option.. the supertuck while it has received rave reviews looks like a very sizeable piece of leather that I'd need to squeeze between myself and my pants, much larger than the HNH offerings or Pure Kustom. Being that I have never carried IWB before I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference this would be, but I have heard some people have issues concealing the supertuck when they're a small frame (I'm 5'8" and 165lbs).

However, the velcro belt and clips seems to make the concealment on this very nice.

Option #3:

Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro + Beltman

The cream of the crop. Heard rave reviews of the pure kustom lineup, and same goes for beltman. This option is clearly the most expensive, coming to around $275 for both products.

Thoughts on this one... I know this would be the best of both worlds.. but my real big question is, being that I have no experience carrying IWB would I be able to notice the difference and is it worth all the extra money? These purchases are going to be fueled by money recently received for my birthday, and hopefully some christmas money funds coming in soon - so having some spare money left over for new grips, ammo, and other gear might be nice?

Or should I simply go for it and start off right by getting the best of the best?

Thanks all for your help.

I haven't used any of the holsters mentioned, but I am wearing a beltman belt now, carrying a Sig P239 IWB, works great, highly recommend the belt.

I love my super tuck, I carry my commander sized 1911 in it and it conceals awesome. I'd recommend a super tuck to anyone.

I have Wilderness Instructor 1.5/5 Stitch and Bletman 1.5/Horsehide and prefer the Wilderness, it's more comfortable. I OWB G19 with no problems. So, IWB a Sig 239 will be a walk in the park.

Don't own any of the holsters you mentioned.

crossbreed supertuck soooo comfortable even with a heavy gun. Shell out the extra $15 for the horsehide its worth it trust me.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

My choice is #3 I don't have one of Rocky's pieces of art yet but his work looks great. And if I were you I would take a look at Looper belts...today was the first day I wore mine it is 1 1/4 inches wide and is really awesome for $40 bucks you can't beat it.
    Last edited by jbum; December 22nd, 2009 at 10:53 PM.

I have the Black Ops pro with the Wilderness Insructor belt. Great combo. Lots of adjustability with the holster and belt.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRT600 View Post
    I have the Black Ops pro with the Wilderness Insructor belt. Great combo. Lots of adjustability with the holster and belt.
    You forgot to mention you carry a monster of a firearm!!! You FNPer!!!

I also carry one of...er..um..my holsters with a Wilderness Instructors belt, I have the poly lined one.

I've got your Option #2 with the velcro clips & belt for my P239. If you're at all considering tucking your gun away then this really is your best option. The Crossbreed is probably as thin as almost anything out there short of an all kydex ultrathin holster, but it's the most comfortable IWB I've ever worn. When tucked it absolutely dissappears.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

The Wilderness Instructor belts are great, but if you work in an office they don't really go all that well with Dockers and the like, AND the Velcro makes a hell of a racket as you drop trou in the john. Just an observation. I wear mine with my cargo pants and whenever I'm in a training gig with lots to carry on the belt.

A low-cost option is the 5.11 belt that L.A. Police Gear has on closeout special for a whopping 8 bucks right now. It's a decent-looking belt with a synthetic internal stiffener, which provides great support for your carry rig without adding a much thickness. I got a pair of these with some closeout pants over the summer, and I'm impressed. Check it out at 5.11 Tactical Leather Casual Belt 1.5 inch Detail Stitch CLOSEOUT

Call me a traditionalist, but the size of the Supertuck holster just seems out of proportion to its mission, but since I have yet to see one in person (not even at the huge Phoenix gun shows!) I'll reserve judgement. What works for me is the Summer Special design by Bruce Nelson; mine is a Milt Sparks execution. It's compact, it goes on and off in mere seconds and you don't have to drop your pants, and as it's leather it's easy on your gun's finish. The mouth is reinforced so when your draw, your belt won't collapse the holster - you can re-holster with one hand. The down side is that you'll wait 6 months for delivery, unless your gun is a 1911 or a Glock (Brownell's stocks the SSII model for those guns). However, comparable holsters are available from DeSantis and Galco which are almost as good as the Sparks model.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I would also try TT Gunleather and HBE
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I like my HNH for my G30, but with one caveat:

It collapses upon drawing the weapon!

Now I know that you shouldn't be drawing except in certain situations, but when I unload to deposit the weapon in my carsafe, I would like to be able to re-holster it quickly.

It is billed as one of the thinnest and therefore one of the most comfortable holsters out there, and in this it succeeds beautifully.

"Collapsability" may not be an issue to you, but it is a minor one to me.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I like my HNH for my G30, but with one caveat:

It collapses upon drawing the weapon!

Now I know that you shouldn't be drawing except in certain situations, but when I unload to deposit the weapon in my carsafe, I would like to be able to re-holster it quickly.

It is billed as one of the thinnest and therefore one of the most comfortable holsters out there, and in this it succeeds beautifully.

"Collapsability" may not be an issue to you, but it is a minor one to me.

Yeah I was reading that about HNH, but they seem to address it here:

Questions

Seems to make sense. They offer some that are designed to allow one handed re-holstering and some that don't.

I actually carry a Glock 26 in a High noon holster with a Wilderness 5 stich. I am pleased with the combo. I agree with others I would like to find something that blends a little better. Sorry these belts scream cop or EMS. They work.

i own option 1 and 2. option 1 is a good piece to have works well and hides very good. option 2 is the best for the money. hides very good and comfortatble, you can carry all day with no trouble.

Sponsored Links