Got a Don Hume 721OT for my G26....concerned?!?!

This is a discussion on Got a Don Hume 721OT for my G26....concerned?!?! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently got a Don Hume 721OT for my G26...fit is fantastic, broke it in rather quickly. I wear it around 3 o'clock. So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Got a Don Hume 721OT for my G26....concerned?!?!

So I recently got a Don Hume 721OT for my G26...fit is fantastic, broke it in rather quickly. I wear it around 3 o'clock.

So my concern is that because it is an open top, I find myself constantly "pushing it down"...or at least checking it, and I dont know why because it is never sliding up or anything, I just have this subconcious feeling it may be slipping "up/out"....I know it makes no sense but it has me thinking I neet some sort of a holster with retention, like those ones that you push a lever or something to remove the trigger guard catch????

I dont like straps over the top, that is why I got an open top holster, nothing to snag on when re-holstering my Glock and that makes me feel better, but this is now bothering me with the open top and no other retention.

Does anyone have an open top, OWB holster with retention like I am talking about? If so, any concerns on reholstering (can they pushed too far and engage the trigger) and how do you like it overall?

Thanks....and I hope I am not just being paranoid.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry my Glock 27 in the same holster and have no issues with it. I never have the feeling my gun is falling out.

Perhaps someone close to you could assist by slapping you upside the head everytime you reach around and push down on your gun. After a few wacks, this should help break the habit.
    sioux565 and Darrow75 like this.
    Proud NRA member

Sometimes I catch myself pulling up my pants, but I'm accually pushing the
    gun down as I pull em up using both hands one on each side,so it looks just
    pulling pants up a little ;-) PS Gun never comes out/ Good Holster for the $$
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I carry my Glock 27 in the same holster and have no issues with it. I never have the feeling my gun is falling out.

Perhaps someone close to you could assist by slapping you upside the head everytime you reach around and push down on your gun. After a few wacks, this should help break the habit.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think one of these holsters will be in my future for my M&P9c

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil"
    Thomas Mann
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    do you find yourself pulling the trigger to make sure the gu will go off when you need it?...youll break the habit...its not going anywhere..ive worked upside down on my car with my gun hanging out of my don hume...never lost it....

I have a Don Hume just like you and I use if for my G19/23 carry. No concerns. I carry in close to the same location as you. I'm not a fan of external retention of any kind for my holsters. I do like the kydex holsters over some of my leather holsters because of the positive 'locking' features. Even after your holster is well broken in, your belt is usually what helps retain the package IWB if there is no tension screw on the holster. The only time I've used thumb break holsters was with the shoulder rigs for obvious reasons. If I ever feel uncomfortable or unsure about my holsters or their retention then it's time to find something else or retire them. Some of us have many holsters for different occasions that pretty much dictate they be worn specifically for planned activities where they won't need to be worried about or moving around. A little more experience with the specific holster/pistol, and some knowledge that things are only moving around in your imagination will gain you confidence in your choice of holster/pistol combination. And like I said...if it's not working for you, know when it's time to seek better options. In my opinion, I see way too many holster manufacturers, or individuals selling somewhat 'generic' holsters to cover the Glock pistols. I've seen more designed for the compact size Glocks as medium ground, yet portrayed as being suitable for the sub-compacts as well. Buyer beware is what I'm saying. I have returned holsters that were actually larger than my Don Hume designed for my G23 that I bought specifically for a G26/27. Good luck with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post

Certainly the wife would be first in line! Thanks...I think
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have a Don Hume just like you and I use if for my G19/23 carry. No concerns. I carry in close to the same location as you. I'm not a fan of external retention of any kind for my holsters. I do like the kydex holsters over some of my leather holsters because of the positive 'locking' features. Even after your holster is well broken in, your belt is usually what helps retain the package IWB if there is no tension screw on the holster. The only time I've used thumb break holsters was with the shoulder rigs for obvious reasons. If I ever feel uncomfortable or unsure about my holsters or their retention then it's time to find something else or retire them. Some of us have many holsters for different occasions that pretty much dictate they be worn specifically for planned activities where they won't need to be worried about or moving around. A little more experience with the specific holster/pistol, and some knowledge that things are only moving around in your imagination will gain you confidence in your choice of holster/pistol combination. And like I said...if it's not working for you, know when it's time to seek better options. In my opinion, I see way too many holster manufacturers, or individuals selling somewhat 'generic' holsters to cover the Glock pistols. I've seen more designed for the compact size Glocks as medium ground, yet portrayed as being suitable for the sub-compacts as well. Buyer beware is what I'm saying. I have returned holsters that were actually larger than my Don Hume designed for my G23 that I bought specifically for a G26/27. Good luck with everything.
    Thanks...and I agree, I have looked at Kydex for the same retention reasons but like leather better. Also, I am generally opposed to the retention devices but I keep messing with this holster...and hopefully I will just stop after I get more used to it. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Thanks...and I agree, I have looked at Kydex for the same retention reasons but like leather better. Also, I am generally opposed to the retention devices but I keep messing with this holster...and hopefully I will just stop after I get more used to it. Thanks again.
    Leather is somewhat kinder and gentler than kydex either IWB or OWB. I like the leather as well since it conforms better to your body which in turn retains the pistol in a different way than kydex. I have an Ahern pancake three slot holster that's not very thick and no more than a skin over the pistol if I'm not wearing them. I've even used this lightweight holster for ISPC. One of my favorites for OWB with the large frame Glocks. You'll also do better matching your belt to the holster slots. IMO...if you're carrying with a holster with 1 1/2" slots on a 1 1/4" or 1 3/8" belt then it may rock and seem to be less than a perfect fit. You may also look at better belts and stay away from the cheaper 'pleather' belts (plastic leather) found in department stores as they tend to stretch and feel less secure. Might tighten up to the next notch on your belt also even if uncomfortable initially. I also think it's pretty common to fidget with any new holster that properly fits the pistol. Thing is, the fidgeting process can be done outside of public view until you and your carry methods have become fully integrated. Get used to the appendage and keep your mind off it. Just feel it there...it should only be natural. A lot of holsters that may seem like retention is lacking must be reinforced on the leading edge and keep their form so the pistol sights will not drag on the draw. This design may also portray a less than rock solid retention, but one that shouldn't cause much concern in your mind as the top of the slide is not being retained, but the slab side of your pistol. Also....you're carrying a sub-compact pistol which in some instances leaves a lack of balance or completeness in one's mind because it simply rides higher on the belt line and lacks the feel of the longer slide in the same or similar holsters. If you get the chance, I highly recommend the Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express holster for your Glock sub-compact. I'll almost guarantee you won't ever fidget with this one. It's my best of the best OWB holsters for the G26/27. I'm just saying...nothing wrong with your trials on the Don Hume, but with the Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express and under $100, you'll never feel better off. Since you like leather best, I consider the 'upper limit' holster as top of the line and for way less $.

The more you carry the less you will find your self pulling,patting, adjusting and checking.

It is a normal thing, I have that holster and many others, all of the open top design and if I could, which I can't anymore , do somersaults the gun will stay in place.

VIP Member
    I think you just need to get used to it. I have the same holster for my G26, my G19 and my Kimber Ultra carry and never had a problem with any of them...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have the same Don Hume hoster , but for a different gun. I can hold the holster upside down and the gun will not fall out. I wear them all the time with different guns, and love it..

I had a gun fall out of one holster while sitting in the car that was NOT a Don Hume, and threw that holster away. I got a 721, and it's worked great.

If when you holster your gun you feel that little click like the gun just locked in due to the depression inside the trigger guard the gun will not just work itself out,coupled with the added pressure of your body against the side of the holster once you tighten your belt and under normal conditions and even when running the gun should stay put until you physically draw it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have the same Don Hume hoster , but for a different gun. I can hold the holster upside down and the gun will not fall out. I wear them all the time with different guns, and love it..

I had a gun fall out of one holster while sitting in the car that was NOT a Don Hume, and threw that holster away. I got a 721, and it's worked great.
    Funny, why didnt I think of just holding it upside down to show it wont fall out, that should give me more confidence...duh! Plus,I know the belt pulls it tighter once cinched, I just have the wierd feeling and keep checking it. Yet I never do that with my pocket holster.....I am sure I just need to get more used to it, etc. Thanks for the post!

I have an open-top Don Hume for my PPS - it's always been seated, no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links