Defender belly band/Glock question.

This is a discussion on Defender belly band/Glock question. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was buying some stuff from the Kahr shop and just picked one of these up also: Active Pro Gear Defender Waist Holster (Right Hand, ...

Thread: Defender belly band/Glock question.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

I was buying some stuff from the Kahr shop and just picked one of these up also:
    Active Pro Gear Defender Waist Holster (Right Hand, Small)

The price looked good so I thought I'd give it a try. I like the idea. Hopefully it doesn't die a quick death in the holster drawer.

I had a Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster earlier but didn't like how high it rode so I sold it. It felt like I had some sort of man bra on. I thought the Defender may be a more comfortable option when I'm not able to wear a full gun belt/IWB rig for deep concealment. I also like the fact that I can keep an extra mag and possibly clip my knife on it as well to help save pocket space. I'll probably wear it slightly under my waistline. It looks fairly adjustable on the go (sitting/driving, walking, etc.) and I'll always wear a wife beater underneath to help with comfort. It probably isn't as easy to draw from as a good IWB setup but it looks easier to draw from and more concealable than a shoulder rig in a non buttoned shirt tucked setup (polo, t-shirt, etc.)

My big question is, does anyone carry a Glock with one in the pipe with this setup? How protected is the trigger? I'd be carrying either my PM9 or G33 in it but the Glock is the one I'm most worried about. I guess I could get a small kydex holster to slip in it to double up but then I'm starting to cut into my comfort level. I still may get a Smartcarry (Security-V?) to try but I'm thinking I might be able to get this Defender to work better for my purposes.

Thanks for any input.

I bought a belly band (I think De Santis) for my G26, but it died "a quick death in the hoster drawer," as you put it. Like you, I was a bit worried about how well the trigger was protected, but I also thought that I was just too slow in getting the gun out of the holster, especially if I had a shirt tucked in over the belly band. Lastly, if I had needed to draw my gun while using the belly band, I thought it would have been almost impossible to re-holster. Having said this, I should add that I really didn't try the product out much at all. I've thought about selling it, but I hope to get a J frame or LCR within the next several months and I figure it I might like the belly band a little more for that gun. Trigger protection would be slightly less of an issue with the heavier pull on those guns, but the other negatives would be the same.

I have a Galco Belly Band & use it daily for carring my CA Bulldog 44 spcl in the Appendex position, very comfortable.

Any concerns with carry methods and the Glock pistols should be mitigated by a full understanding of the Glock design and trigger. IMO, if the Glock design poses questions for the CCer, then other designs should be sought. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Tell you right now you will likely end up with a loose/dropped gun. Reguardless of marketing the only thing I carry in a bellyband and I wear one often is a 39 snubbie. Anything else is too top heavy. You have been warned. Stay Safe- George

I had similar concerns with my G26 and G36 while carrying in my BellyBand. I used some velcro and leather to attach a piece of leather to the inside and outside of the band to cover the trigger area so there's no way for the trigger to be compromised. It's ugly as hell but it works well. The large leather piece in front actually distributes along the inside of my jeans and makes the bulge not nearly as noticeable.

Here's a pic of it in another thread.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Hey boss, the only picture I can find in that thread is of someone carrying with what looks like a crossbreed or MTAC style holster IWB. Can you enlighten me as to the original posters name so I can find the picture in that thread?

-thanks!
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Stratispho View Post
    Hey boss, the only picture I can find in that thread is of someone carrying with what looks like a crossbreed or MTAC style holster IWB. Can you enlighten me as to the original posters name so I can find the picture in that thread?

-thanks!
    Sure thing, it's post #26 and I was the one that made the post.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links