Gym carry options?

This is a discussion on Gym carry options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I carry when I workout at the gym- something about the shooting in Pennsylvania that reminded me no place is sacred. Currently I ...

View Poll Results: 5.11 holster shirt

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Works okay with compact or sub-compact models

6 7.89%
  • Only for pocket carry

3 3.95%
  • Totally Worthless

7 9.21%
  • Never tried it

60 78.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym carry options?

Gym carry options?

Hey everyone,

I carry when I workout at the gym- something about the shooting in Pennsylvania that reminded me no place is sacred.

Currently I wear cargo shorts (so I can wear a belt) and a slightly large t-shirt with an IWB (4" Springfield XD 9mm.) This works pretty well, but I'd like to come up with an option that is even more concealable.

Has anyone here tried one of the 5.11 holster shirts? Was it good? Bad? What kind of gun did you carry with it, and how big?

I'm not expecting to carry a compact or even a normal sub-compact with it- probably something sized more like the Kahrs or Kel-Tec pocket carry models as far as size is concerned.

If anyone has recommendations for a great pocket carry, that would be awesome, too! Won't go smaller than a .380, and I'd prefer a 9mm if at all possible.

2. Remove Ads

Never tried it. SmartCarry here.

Mine will be here in a few days. I made the mistake however of reading all the reviews after ordering. From what I understand:

Pros
    1) Holds the firearm tight to the body so actively working out is no problem.
    2) Sweat does not get on the fire arm.
    3) The weight is evenly distributed so the shirt doesn't sag with the pistol.
    4) It just looks like an ordinary undershirt when you have your cover shirt on.
    5) Its nice and long so it tucks in well offering even more control over movement.

Cons
    1) If you are concealing a larger pistol the butt of the pistol prints and gives the impression that you have a tumor or larger 3rd nipple ;-)
    2) It is warm, to warm!
    3) It is very itchy. The seem stitching will drive you nuts.
    4) The Velcro closers get weak after a bit.
    5) 60 bucks per shirt is nuts!

Personally Im only worried about the itchy part. I have some thermal under armor type clothing and I tell you what, i can barely wear it its so itchy. I have read that many people have solved this by wearing a regular t shirt under the 5.11 but then with your cover shirt that makes 3 shirts you are wearing, MAN! This shirt might be my "Only when I have to" rigs.

But we'll see, like I said mine hasn't actually arrived yet.

I just keep a Kel-Tec P3AT in my pocket (Desantis Holister) Everything else either prints or is too heavy / bulky for exercise.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Belly band
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have a couple of them. They have their use at times for deep concealment when you can't carry any other way but they can be uncomfortable (tight/itchy) and can get hot. Trying to draw from one is difficult not to mention trying to reholster. The biggest I've carried in mine was a Glock G33.

I wouldn't have gotten them but I only paid about $30 (new/private seller) for mine a year or so ago so I thought I'd give them a try. I'd probably go with an undershirt and a belly band or Deep Concealment Shoulder holster instead if I were you. Maybe even a Smartcarry. JMO.

When at the gym, I lock the Glock in the safe and carry my P-3AT in an IWB/SOB holster with gym shorts...it never moves...but I only walk on a treadmill.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I just lock my weapon in my truck's gun safe while in the gym.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm definitely getting the impression that a good IWB would be much easier to draw from. I think I'll stick with that, then.

SmartCarry here also, but started using the Crossbreed Supertuck as it doesn't rub the inside of my thighs. Ditto on the treadmill

I'd really like to hear some feedback on the PT-ONE CHL Holster pistolwear Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns it looks like the best carry option for the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    I'd really like to hear some feedback on the PT-ONE CHL Holster pistolwear Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns it looks like the best carry option for the gym.
    +1 on that
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    smart carry for me
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

How about a decent shoulder holster? When I go to the Gym I wear my shoulder holster, and then secure it in a locker for the duration of my workout, after I'm done, I put the shoulder holster back on. Of course you have to wear a button up type shirt over your workout gear to conceal it, but for me it works well enough.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Ive never worn a shoulder rig. Are they stable enough to make it threw a vigorous workout? They surly wouldn't protect your pistol from sweat.

The gear designed for workouts look like a better option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links