from fitted firm trigger cover vs. soft vs. no specific trigger cover

This is a discussion on from fitted firm trigger cover vs. soft vs. no specific trigger cover within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Circumstances that make carrying without specific trigger cover a problem? I have been carrying my Kel-Tec PF9 with only the screwed on belt clip so ...

Thread: from fitted firm trigger cover vs. soft vs. no specific trigger cover

from fitted firm trigger cover vs. soft vs. no specific trigger cover

Circumstances that make carrying without specific trigger cover a problem?

I have been carrying my Kel-Tec PF9 with only the screwed on belt clip so I have no cover over the trigger. I didnt really think of this as a problem until I thought about the logic of carrying a round in the chamber. My kel-tec has a 12 pound very long trigger pull so I may be dumb but it still doesn't seem like a form fitted firm holster is required. However I went with the shirt tucked in and a cover shirt the other day and then could see that while untucking the shirt there existed the possibility that the shirt could pull the trigger on the way up.

It may be hard to describe a situation when a gun is unsafe. I believe carrying a pistol with a 3 pound trigger and a 1/4 inch pull would be unsafe if not in a holster covering the trigger. Do you consider a "smart carry" pouch to be safe trigger cover? Is a 5.11 holster shirt safe trigger cover? What about a mouse gun dropped in the front pocket, safe?

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I prefer all my triggers to be covered. Once the AD has happened it's to late to evaluate it's importance. I like having the zero possibility for a AD/ND, but thats just me. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

A modern designed holster that covers the trigger is safest. As you said, pulling a tucked in shirt could snag the trigger.

Long or short trigger draw, the possibility is there.

A holster serves more functions too. It keeps trash out of the mechanism. It keeps the gun in position and it covers the outline to prevent "printing."
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Mouse gun dropped in front pocket is unsafe IMHO,there have been way to many instances where peoples guns have discharged and I believe a lot of them are due to either gun not being in a holster,or a flimsy one size fits all holster that the gun fell out of
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Can you say "Plaxico Burris"?

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    Can you say "Plaxico Burris"?
    I saw that a few weeks ago,,, that was funny YouTube - Plaxico Burress On Gun Safety

The main reason I was asking opinions on this is because a user here said that my pf9 clipped in my jeans wasn't safe but I don't see how something like a 1911 with a 3 pound trigger and a 1/4 inch pull in a smart carry is safe?

I used the clipdraw on mine for a short while before i took it off. I prefer holsters that cover the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    I would say that a gun, being pocket carried without a holster, is more likely to be involved in an AD/ND, than one belt carried without a holster. Too many times folks put other stuff in the pocket with the gun and something ends up pulling on the trigger... That said, I wouldn't carry anything without a proper holster, these days...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    but I don't see how something like a 1911 with a 3 pound trigger and a 1/4 inch pull in a smart carry is safe?
    A 1911 has external safeties that keep it safer, from AD/ND, than a gun with only internal safeties...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links