Shoulder holsters?

Shoulder holsters?

This is a discussion on Shoulder holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems the prefered carry method for larger guns is IWB holsters. Is there any particular reason for these over shoulder holsters?...

Thread: Shoulder holsters?

Shoulder holsters?

It seems the prefered carry method for larger guns is IWB holsters. Is there any particular reason for these over shoulder holsters?
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

I just ordered a vertical shoulder holster from Black Hills Leather,Black Hills Leather - The best custom gun leather western holsters & rigs. They have a 20% off deal going through the holidays, too. One consideration is that with a horizontal rig the muzzle is "covering" everyone walking behind you. Of course a vertical muzzle is covering everyone on the floor below you, too. But something to consider.

VIP Member
    They are great if you spend a lot of time driving. They will take some of the stress off your back. They conceal well with a cover garment. I use one a lot in the winter, under a hooded sweatshirt.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

In the cooler months with the 'extra' clothing it's easy, and pretty comfortable, to carry in a sholder rig. For me down here in south Georgia/north Flordia I won't wear too many 'extra' clothes too often......so most of the time an IWB or OWB holster is the way to go for me. On long trips in the car, during the brief 'cooler' weather, or when 'dressed up' (sometimes) I'll grab my sholder rig and go.
    I love the sholder holsters but my method of dress keeps it's use somewhat limited.

Most IWB holsters are, for the most part, 'easier' to take on/off and they do an excellent job of concealing/securing any sized handgun. A quality 'tuckable' style IWB holster can make even a 'larger' handgun dissappear.

IWB holsters have the edge over sholder holsters due to it's easier to find/order them, thier 'usually' cheaper, and can be worn in many more situations than a sholder rig. Now this is just my observations and by no means the bottom line to your querry.
    I took my time and got, for me, the 'right' IWB and sholder holsters.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

i wear one 95% of the time year long. not hard to do. if you get one do not buy cheap. a cheap one will not ride right and leave a bad taste in your mouth. do a search to see all the times this has been around the block.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links