SOB concealed carry pros/cons

This is a discussion on SOB concealed carry pros/cons within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently gotten my CHL and have been trying to decide what type of holster to get for my sigsauer P226. I've been thinking about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOB concealed carry pros/cons

SOB concealed carry pros/cons

I've recently gotten my CHL and have been trying to decide what type of holster to get for my sigsauer P226. I've been thinking about getting one for the small of my back, but in searching the forums and looking at the different styles, I have noticed that not many people like to carry there. Are there any particular drawbacks to the small of the back carry position? I would appreciate any input on the pros or cons. Thanks.
    The reward for work well done is more work.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Pro...it is fairly concealable. It doesn't print near as bad because it rests in the natural hollow of the small of the back.

Con...if you ever take a hit or fall on your back, it can cause serious and permanent damage that affect you for the rest of your life.

Con, can be difficult to access due the reach.

I suggest a modified approach. Don't carry at the 6:00 position, but at the 5:00. For most people it conceals just as well but doesn't lay right on the spine,reducing the chance for serious injury in the event of a fall.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I can give you my experience with S.O.B. I carried a Kahr MK9 in a BladeTech S.O.B. holster for about 12 years. I liked it a lot, but my only real gripe was that it tended to ride a little low for my comfort. I always had to wear shirts/sweaters that were long enough so that when I bent over, it wouldn't ride up.

Ultimately though, I decided to try IWB for a few reasons. The first was safety. As HotGuns pointed out, if you carry the gun too close to your spine, you could get hurt in the event of a fall. My MK9 has a really short grip, so it never touched my spine, but the gun was over it. The more important reason was that I couldn't find a Kydex S.O.B. holster that fit a Crimson Trace laserguard.

I bought a Crossbreed MiniTuck IWB holster for my new Kahr PM9 and I'm not going back. I wear it at about 4-5 o'clock and it's more comfortable than my S.O.B. ever was, especially considering that this is my first IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I suggest a modified approach. Don't carry at the 6:00 position, but at the 5:00. For most people it conceals just as well but doesn't lay right on the spine,reducing the chance for serious injury in the event of a fall.
    I carried like this for a couple of years. This is an excellent solution.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    One thing to consider that is mistaken by new carrying people. Your palm should ALWAYS be facing in, never out. There are some people that believe that palm out is OK, but I'd advise against it.

A properly made SOB holster will be palm in. The more "natural" feeling placement of the gun is palm out, but it's very unsafe. A good holster maker will probably steer you well clear of the "wrong" way.

I hope I didn't start a fire.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I have one still, in kydex I wasn't the brightest there...
    Pro,
    Conceals well
    Comfortable when standing
    Con,
    Makes a horrible thunk when sitting down no matter how much I try not too,
    Hurts when sitting down
    Gets really uncomfortable when moving around such as bending over sitting down and doing daily tasks other then walking or standing.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    I frequently carry a SIG P-220R Carry and I've got to tell you, you won't carry a P-226 in a SOB holster a full day before you look for something else. It's just too darn big to carry there especially when sitting.

I use a IWB holster 90% of the time with my SIG and a OWB holster the rest of the time. Both are comfortable with a large weapon like the SIG.
    Attached Images
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    The more "natural" feeling placement of the gun is palm out, but it's very unsafe.
    I don't think you started a fire, but I will disagree. If you aren't willing to learn and practice the proper draw, it is unsafe... but so is every other draw technique...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I recommend my customers stay away from SOB. I don't see any additional pros over just moving the gun to 4 to 5 o'clock position.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

SOB holsters do not conceal very well and wepon retention is more difficult.

Carried my Steyr MA1 in a Blade-tech UCH SOB holster. It is designed with the grip pointing left for the RH user. It can either be vertical or with an "FBI cant" (~15 degrees on this model) which puts the bulk of the weapon at 4:30/5:00. It conceals very well and I have drawn it twice (from a car seat) and had no problem presenting a weapon from the SOB. Long drives in a vehcile will make you reconsider SOB but otherwise I find it to be a very good deep concealment method. When I am less concerned or not not likely to be in a postion to reveal it, I wear an OWB at 4 o'clock.

ETA: the UCH is a tuckable holster.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I use an IWB/SOB holster quite often. I do not wear it over the spine, but rather over the kidney. I find the CC over the spine very comfortable when sitting, walking, driving, etc. The weapon disappears into the curve of the back.

I do use the palm out draw and find it to be an effective draw if practiced. If one traces the path of the barrel upon drawing the weapon, muscle memory will keep the barrel pointing AWAY from the body. If this were not true, then cross-draw, Smart Carry, fanny packs, and any other IWB would also be as dangerous. If you can control your 'FINGER', then safety can be controlled.

I only use CC, so weapon retention is not a major concern out in public.
    I also carry OWB at 3:30, but I cannot put my hand on my weapon in 'ready' without being seen. I can do that with my SOB holster. In a parking lot, I can actually have my hand ON MY WEAPON (under my cover shirt) without anyone seeing my firearm.

Granted, drawing the weapon (from SOB at 5:00) can be a bit slower than from my OWB at 3:30, but practice can make that SOB draw very effective...add in the ability to have one's hand ON THE WEAPON (without being seen), and the draw is an effective one. OMO
    What works for one person may not for another.

Different carry positions can be debated all day. At one of the two gun shops I support, several of the older fellows carry the same way, and with Glock-36's...same as me; I know that I'm not alone in my observations.
    I'm not a cop who has to chase BG's all day, just an old may who wants all the advantages of surprise available to him. I am alert, I practice drawing my weapon, and it works for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Your palm should ALWAYS be facing in, never out. There are some people that believe that palm out is OK, but I'd advise against it.

A properly made SOB holster will be palm in. The more "natural" feeling placement of the gun is palm out, but it's very unsafe.
    Hmmm.....why is that? Palm out is a more natural position for your hand. Is it because you have to shove your hand between the holster and firearm?

Palm in, I would think, the gun would need to be almost horizontal. And forget a thumb break. I just tried it with my hand and it hurt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Hmmm.....why is that? Palm out is a more natural position for your hand. Is it because you have to shove your hand between the holster and firearm?
    If you don't draw correctly, you can point the muzzle of the gun at yourself...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I frequently carry a SIG P-220R Carry and I've got to tell you, you won't carry a P-226 in a SOB holster a full day before you look for something else. It's just too darn big to carry there especially when sitting.

I use a IWB holster 90% of the time with my SIG and a OWB holster the rest of the time. Both are comfortable with a large weapon like the SIG.
    Hate to disagree but, P229, SOB carry, palm out draw, been doing it for years and years. No pain , no strain.

P.S. I have fallen on my backside a couple of times (in snow). No spine damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links