Need CCW for bib overall advice

This is a discussion on Need CCW for bib overall advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, Does anyone have a good idea how to carry concealed while wearing bib overalls? During cooler weather a shoulder rig under a jacket ...

Thread: Need CCW for bib overall advice

Need CCW for bib overall advice

Hello everyone,
    Does anyone have a good idea how to carry concealed while wearing bib overalls? During cooler weather a shoulder rig under a jacket works. Now that it's warmer, it won't work. I pretty much have to wear bibs during the work week and weekends due to overtime. Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Seem to me there are a couple viable options here.

1. Pocket gun.
    2. Appendix or 1 o'clock carry, under the front of the bib.

Of the two a good pocket gun would seem to be the trick.

Do you have a specific gun in mind, or are you looking for pistol suggestions?

Matt

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have heard a few people like the smartcarry http://www.smartcarry.com/ for use with bibs. I never have tried it but the people that use it swear by it.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well, it sounds like you are active so weapon retention will be very important. I don't exactly know what type of work you are in so I'm assuming that you are in the construction industry.

Pocket carry kinda scares me if I am doing construction or active work. When I was in college, I used to work for my friend that was a HVAC contractor and was always climbing up in attics or on top of roofs. I wouldn't want it to work its way out if I'm on a roof or in an attic and drop two or three stories and have a possible discharge.
    I guess if I was going to carry in overalls I would use a bellyband under my T-shirt. You could still reach in the overalls and draw. The draw my be slower, but with practice I think you could draw fairly quick. Another option I may consider is a fanny pack. I know that this screams armed, but on a construction type worker, I think that it is less obvious. I think most folks would think you are carrying tools, not a firearm.

Anyway just my .02. I'm sure the experts on here have some better options.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I carry a 5 shot snubbie in the right rear pocket via a Galco pocket holster when I am sporting my bibs.

I used to carry a 4" K frame on a belt under my bibs. Appendix carry right side very fast, out of the way slightly baggy bibs.
    My grandad carried this way and it served him well, too.
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Seems the trick is going to be loose fitting bibs. Depending on the type of movement you have to do (crouching, bending, etc.) appendix style carry might be the best option (1-2:00 for righties, 10-11:00 for lefties) for quick access and concealability. A lot will depend on your weapon too of course, a J-frame wheelgun or small frame auto would be my personal size limit (5'-10", 185 lbs) but your build might allow for larger weapons ... or two of them even.
    Good luck & let us know what ya' decide on.
    Jack

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I use an Action-Direct Defender bellyband when I wear my overalls. It works really well.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Why not wear what you want under the bibs and just customize the bibs? Split the strong side seam and have a zipper, velcro, or snaps installed.
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a buddy who just tuckes a p3at into the chest pocket of his bibs , seems to serve him well as its what he wears 90% of the time lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

As long as we're all wearing bib overalls, maybe we should all buy an attack pig and name him Arnold. (Older Southern boys will get this and for you young'ns out there its not a reference to the Gov of Kali) Where I come from we all hoped Mr. Douglas (Eddie Albert) would go postal and shoot Mrs. Douglas (Eva Gabor). Mr Douglas always wore a vest so you know he was packin!
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

it was the girls down the tracks at the next junction that were packing.
    anyway cowboys of old wore bibs more often than depicted , and they managed to have a "holdout" in there somehow.
    elance

ONe of the slickest ways I have seen it done was , put together by a former partner,, you know one of them good ole bous from NC,,

He had his wife sew into the bib behind the pockets a thin leather thumb break holster for a "J" S&W, it had a slight angle to it, to help draw,, as he was the type that stood with his hands inside the bib, it was always handy

Links