Holster Question - Pure Kustom & UBG

This is a discussion on Holster Question - Pure Kustom & UBG within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am fairly new to carrying and have gotten a lot of good info from people here on this site about ordering a holster but ...

Thread: Holster Question - Pure Kustom & UBG

I am fairly new to carrying and have gotten a lot of good info from people here on this site about ordering a holster but I have another question... Please understand I mean no disrespect to either of these holster makers. But hence i do have the question.

I am looking at the UBG Canute and the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Like I said I dont know a lot about holsters but have heard great things about both holsters and also the two men that make each of them.

My question is what makes the Pure Kustom a $175 holster while the UBG is $75. Finish Quality, Materials Quality, Comfort, etc etc..

Thank you to everyone that responds and helps me out with my decision to order a great holster.

Both are reputable makers and it ultimately comes down to your choice.

As a starting point - my questions is if you don't know a lot about holsters, how did you come to decide on the two holsters you have chosen?

Both represent their leather here on DC, I'm sure they will answer your questions.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

these are two makers that I have looked at but have not made a decision yet on who to go with.. just have heard a lot of good things about both and dont understand the difference of $100 between the two.

Pure Kustoms has a limited lifetime warranty, UBG a 90 day warranty.

Pure Kustoms leather is wicked stiff by some process he uses, so no reinforcment is required at the holster opening. UBG offers a reinforcement band to help stiffen the opening. (important for easier re-holstering)

The black ops pro has a broad range of adjustability, the UBG looks to be a 1 position, 1 mode model.

That's all the main differences I see, are they enough to sway you one way or the other?

look at the bottom of this page to see how stiff PK's leather is. I just noticed this pic, and DANG!
    PURE KUSTOM HOLSTERS MAIN

I have 3 UBG holsters....the Canute (P239) and 2x Bonneville (P229, P239)...great holsters IMO. All holsters fit securely and are fitted to the individual firearms. Nate does great work...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    It's a good question and nobody is going to get offended by someone honestly trying to learn!

I will start out by saying I honestly don't have any personal experience with UBG, but I have read some good reviews of his work, so I would expect that his holsters wold be of very good quality. That said, along with the other observations roalho made, the Black Ops Pro also converts to an OWB as well, giving it a distinctly different method of carry. And yes, the leather is really that stiff, it offers excellent retention.

I don't think you could make a wrong choice with any of the reputable holster makers that you will find on here, it all boils down to personal choice and how much you are willing to spend.

Like SigGuy, I also have 3 UBG's and don't own a Pure Kustom.

In my case they are all Canute's, of the 3 only one has reinforcement at the throat and this was done at Nate's suggestion due to the type of gun it was made for (an HK P7).

The other 2 do not have any reinforcement and I've had zero issues with the mouth collapsing (so no problems at all with reholstering), and both of these holsters are a couple of years old already and have seen their share of use.

As for the Pure Kustom, they look good and from all reports are very well made. However, I personally don't see spending the extra money for the adjustibility of them (as I don't feel it's something I need), but only YOU can decide if that adjustibility is something you want/need and are willing to spend the money on.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I own two UBG Canutes, however, I have no experience with Pure Kustom. I am very happy with my UBG holsters.

The UBG Regulator I have for my BHPs is an excellent quality, very good-looking holster. I think Nate offers as good a value as you can find.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I choose the Black Ops because it did offer so many options. If I had to buy a OWB holster at $75, to $100 and an IWB at $80, to $100 bucks I'm at, or over the $175 price.

Plus Rocky's turn around time is very short compared to a lot of other custom holster makers. Oh yeah, if you want custom art work, Rocky does some of the best in the business.

They're worth every penny
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Okay, everyone knows that I am a true Pure Kustom fan. I have just ordered my second holster from Rocky. So this might seem bias, let me assure you, its not since I also have a UGB! I got a UGB a while ago, it was okay and not much to snear at. Just a leather holster. I read a post about Pure Kustom and I was looking for a OWB custom holster for winter carry. Well, let me tell you, the differences are extreme! My gun actually "clicks" into postition like a locking kydex holster, no kydex used! Well here, if you are serious, take the time and read this review I wrote a few days after reciving my holster from Rocky.

Pure Kustom

Quote Originally Posted by Cubacheski View Post
    I am fairly new to carrying and have gotten a lot of good info from people here on this site about ordering a holster but I have another question... Please understand I mean no disrespect to either of these holster makers. But hence i do have the question.

I am looking at the UBG Canute and the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Like I said I dont know a lot about holsters but have heard great things about both holsters and also the two men that make each of them.

My question is what makes the Pure Kustom a $175 holster while the UBG is $75. Finish Quality, Materials Quality, Comfort, etc etc..

Thank you to everyone that responds and helps me out with my decision to order a great holster.
    Finish Quality is top notch, equal to the master holster makers.

Material is quality leather, molded into a thin holster, that is dipped into a secret sauce with herbs & spices known only to Rocky, that creates an extremely strong holster.

Comfort is why it's now the only holster I wear. When IWB, I forget it's on. For OWB it is the only holster I've ever been able to comfortably wear on my hipbone (3 o'clock) which is my preference for OWB.

My second Black Ops is already on order.
    Last edited by JCAz; January 2nd, 2010 at 02:46 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links