Scratched up gun belt

This is a discussion on Scratched up gun belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of buying my first gun belt. My one option is the Wilderness belt which should scratch from my Supertuck Holster. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratched up gun belt

Scratched up gun belt

I am in the process of buying my first gun belt. My one option is the Wilderness belt which should scratch from my Supertuck Holster. I have read several post where the someone scratched up there Crossbreed belt while using their supertuck. I have been using my cheapo belts and none of them are getting scratched??

Will most gun belts get scratched up using the supertuck or is it mostly the Crossbreed belt?

I would hate to spend $80 on a belt and have it get all scratched up.

2. Remove Ads

Wilderness belts are made of nylon.

I don't always use a gun belt for IWB. I almost always use one for OWB.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Will most gun belts get scratched up using the supertuck or is it mostly the Crossbreed belt?
    The Crossbreed clips have a tapered bend at the ends and there made of a spring type steel. You just simply flex open the clip and they slide easily over the belt. They do leave a slight drag mark over the leather but will not do more than a light scuff as you can see in the photo.

Crossbreed belt + Supertuck

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I am in the process of buying my first gun belt. My one option is the Wilderness belt which should scratch from my Supertuck Holster. I have read several post where the someone scratched up there Crossbreed belt while using their supertuck. I have been using my cheapo belts and none of them are getting scratched??

I would hate to spend $80 on a belt and have it get all scratched up.
    I don't understand why your "one option" is a Wilderness belt. Perhaps you should consider some other options if you have $80 to spend.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I don't understand why your "one option" is a Wilderness belt. Perhaps you should consider some other options if you have $80 to spend.
    I do have $150 to spend but I don't know if I want to spend $80 or more on a belt. I may rather get a Wilderness or something for around $50 and then maybe get a Streamlight tlr-1 or tlr-3. I am trying to weigh my options and see what options would provide me the most pleasure.

VIP Member
    Well, I've never owned or much cared for the Crossbreed holster so my comments may be somewhat misplaced.
    Anyway, despite the cost I have found that sharkskin covered belts wear like iron to repel scratches. Aside from that, I can't imagine a 'Wilderness' belt being scratched by most any clip style fasteners.
    Regards,

Dan O.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Go for the velcro option and you won't have to worry about scratching at all. Works great and makes your rig virtually invisible.

wilderness is Nylon get the 5 stitch..im wearing one(no gun though as im lounging in the house) as I type this. It was a great Christmas present. I use a metal clipped Tagua leather holster for my CH85 Taurus and a Kydex RMLowrider for the Glock 23..neither have even put a nick in the belt so far. the Belt was $37 free shipping mine is a OD color 5 stitch 37" make sure you get the right size..my waist is a 33" but the belt is a 37 add 3-4" ABOVE your waist size for right fit.

Um... the Wilderness belts are darn near indestructible. Leather is WAY MORE prone to scratching. You can't really 'scratch' a Wilderness belt. The velcro is about the only thing that might go over YEARS of hard use.

My apologies if I misunderstood the post.

In general, leather may get a few scuffs from holster clips. Go with loops if you don't like the clip scuffs.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

I think that any metal clip that will hold a holster on a belt properly is likely to scratch a normal leather belt. The best way to avoid it is like someone above said, just pull the bottom of the clip out a bit while you put it on the belt and it will leave minimal marks. Also don't slide the holster while it's on the belt unclip it move it up a couple inches then move the holster and repeat to slide it down again.

So far Kydex clips seem to do less damage to the belt from what I've seen and it's likely because the material isn't as hard, but the trade off is durability and also strength.

Other thing I would consider is what is the gun your carrying? Is it heavy? If it's light enough you might get away with J-Hooks or like someone said above V-Clips. Either way there are options out there but like most things in life it's a bit of a compromise:)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Anyway, despite the cost I have found that sharkskin covered belts wear like iron to repel scratches.
    Absolutely, sharkskin is the titanium of "leather"-goods. Sharkskin is worth it. It will last longer, wear better, distribute a guns weight better than anything I've come across. If you have the money and it sounds like you do, go for it. I've worn mine 5 to 7 days a week for two years. Looks like it just came out of the box. Unfortunately, the maker I bought mine from has had some really bad reports lately involving delayed/missing orders, so I can't recommend them. Too bad. Great belts, fine craftsmanship and economical.

Look around for others. Ask for recommendations if interested.

On the Wilderness belts - I'm not sure whether to go with 5 stitch or polymer lined. I'm looking for use w. shorts/casual wear where the black bull hide beltman belt would look a little out of place.

Can anyone who's used/worn/tried both versions share their experiences, please?

thanks,

RNH

cj
    rhenriksen-

The 5 stitch is pretty stiff as it is. I wouldn't bother with the polymer insert unless I was carrying a lot more gear (e.g. if I were an LEO with the full utility belt worth of equipment).

Thanks. I found an earlier thread/poll on this issue - choice of 3 stitch, 5, or insert. Ran 2:1 for 5 stitch, although I saw where someone who'd used a 5 stitch with a smaller pistol wished he had the polymer insert when he went up to a full sized pistol.

I'm carrying a PPS right now, but want to try a full size M&P - have decided to give the polymer a go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links