Climbing the Learning Curve

This is a discussion on Climbing the Learning Curve within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More like a mountain, it seems. I voted for Prop B (Mo's CCW legislation) a few years ago, but didn't think about it much until ...

Thread: Climbing the Learning Curve

Climbing the Learning Curve

More like a mountain, it seems.
    I voted for Prop B (Mo's CCW legislation) a few years ago, but didn't think about it much until last spring.
    Bought a Glock 26 right off the bat, but didn't carry it.
    Since I've bought a couple more, a .357 and a .22wmr Naa mini.
    I've started carrying the mini when I'm out around town, but still not the G26.
    Finally got around to ordering a holster for the G26, an IWB belt-clip from Bianchi. Trouble is, being fat makes holstering after I put my pants on a chore. If I clip it on before, the weight makes my pant nearly impossible to pull up!
    It looks like I need a wardrobe overhaul. And be more dedicated to going to the gym. I have a membership, but you know how us big guys are about sweating....
    I hope my problems are worth a chuckle. And some insights would be appreciated.
    Happy New Year.
    BL

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Lewis128: So many holster mfgrs out there that it is virually impossible to pick one either from pix or recommendations from fellow posters that will be just right for you. The key is your own due diligence AND making sure that whoever you buy from has a return policy that you can live with. Without that you may end up with a box full of holsters besides the one you decided to wear and use. It's easy to go to a gun show or a local shop but they are limited in mfgrs and types of holsters--internet obviously provides an unlimited number of mfgrs and opinions---use the resource and don't settle--you will regret it--which gets us back to your original thread.

I have one of the Bianchi IWB belt clip holsters. I find that it conceals and carries better for me as a cross draw.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    It's easier for big guys to carry OWB. You want try some different types of belt holsters, like a Don Hume 721OT. It's also easier to carry IWB with something like an MTAC from Comp-Tac or a Crossbreed Supertuck...

G26 in a Don Hume 721OT

G19 in an MTAC

Maybe this will give you some ideas...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

+1 on an OWB holster. I've been carrying a GLOCK 19 in a Kramer Scabbard Holster for the last couple of weeks with no concealment problems at all. I'm not sure I'm going to go back to IWB.

A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Lewis: See this old thread when I had basically the same question.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-big-guy.html

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    More like a mountain, it seems.
    I voted for Prop B (Mo's CCW legislation) a few years ago, but didn't think about it much until last spring.
    Bought a Glock 26 right off the bat, but didn't carry it.
    Since I've bought a couple more, a .357 and a .22wmr Naa mini.
    I've started carrying the mini when I'm out around town, but still not the G26.
    Finally got around to ordering a holster for the G26, an IWB belt-clip from Bianchi. Trouble is, being fat makes holstering after I put my pants on a chore. If I clip it on before, the weight makes my pant nearly impossible to pull up!
    It looks like I need a wardrobe overhaul. And be more dedicated to going to the gym. I have a membership, but you know how us big guys are about sweating....
    I hope my problems are worth a chuckle. And some insights would be appreciated.
    Happy New Year.
    BL
    Where did you buy this stuff? At a gun show?
    What brand is the 357?

I don't understand why you bought a Glock 26 sub compact. It is probably not going to be comfortable for you to shoot.
    The 22 is crap. I don't know about the .357 but it is probably too much for you if you are not an experienced shooter.

You have a big frame. no holster is going to make you a better shooter. You need to find One gun that fits you and work with it.

Get rid of the junk and buy a good S&W revolver with a 4" barrel or a Semi-auto compact, H&K, CZ, Sig Sauer, Berettta, on and on.
    Find one that fits and shoot it often. You don't need to carry it. In Missouri you can keep it loaded on the front seat of your car with or without a concealed carry endorsement. I would probably recommend that you start with a 9mm semi auto. Keep the .357 depending on what it is and dump the rest.

Sometimes change is good if it is for the best
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

You did not mention a gunbelt. The belt will make the difference. OWB will probably be more comfortable for you. The Don Hume 721OT is my primary holster. Bullard makes a good holster for the 1911. Yes, I'd love to get a Pure Custom, but reality doesn't permit it. A fat man can conceal anything. I carry either a XD9sc or a full size 1911. Neither can be detected.

Did I say "get a good belt"? I was at the shoe repair shop and saw a hide hanging there. It was saddle skirting leather. The owner sold me a strip for $10. I made a belt out of it and it is a good as any on the market. It's stiffer that my wilderness Instructor belt with the insert.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Links