Wallet Holsters

This is a discussion on Wallet Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been considering a wallet style holster for the new Taurus TCP I bought today. Tried one at the LGS that almost fit it but not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wallet Holsters

Wallet Holsters

Been considering a wallet style holster for the new Taurus TCP I bought today. Tried one at the LGS that almost fit it but not quite but did get an idea of how much I like the draw style and concealability.

The only concern I have is when I sit down (I did not try that since I was not going to buy the holster that did not quite fit in fear of marring the leather) Is sitting down with this style holster uncomfortable? Does it put too much pressure on the barrel of this small gun, I assume some of the lower part will undoubtedly get squished under your "cheek" as you sit?

Any info would be appreciated on this before I go this route.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The idea of sitting on the barrel, is one reason I've never gotten comfortable with the idea of wallet holsters... The TCP might fit into the holsters for a P3AT or LCP...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've also been concerned about the pickpocket nightmare.

I carry a LCP in a Desantis nemesis in my back pocket and it works great. I moved my wallet to my front pocket and the LCP is thinner and more comfortable to sit on than the wallet. The barrel is inside a steel slide and you aren't going to hurt it by sitting on it, same with the polymer frame.

On the rare occasion I carry my LCP in a wallet, it's in my front pocket. I can't get comfortable with the idea of sitting my big curved butt on a pistol that's supposed to remain straight. Just me. The front pocket also seems to be a more natural place to reach when it's needed. I tried the Nemesis. Nothing covering the grip, I ended up with a very obvious grip shaped spot in my pocket. So I went back to the wallet. That just looks like I have a wallet in my pocket.

VIP Member
    I wallet carry every day in one of three places:
    * Inside breast pocket of jacket
    * Front pocket of dress pants or 'dockers'.
    * Rear pocket of jeans
    With a 34' waist, in my right rear jeans pocket, the LCP actually rides to the side when I sit, so I'm not really putting much weight on it. However, I don't doubt that the frame is plenty strong enough to handle 220lbs of me sitting on it.

I carry my rohrbaugh in a backpocket holster with no problems at all. It looks like a wallet from behind! In my opinion, it is easier to get to in jeans and I dont have to give up my cell or key pocket!

I use a DeSantis Superfly holster for my pocket gun. It has the removable flap, so you can use it front or back pocket, flap or no flap. Very concealable and I recently discovered that it can be comfortably carried in my boot top. The gripping material on the outside of the holster keeps it in place.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

I've been seriously considering the pocket holster from Recluse holsters for my LCP.
    It's a new design that encases the entire trigger guard and trigger rendering it immobilized.
    It prints like a wallet and can be carried in front, back or jacket.

www.recluseholster.com

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Unless there has been a change, a wallet holster which holds a gun that can be fired without removing it from the holster is illegal in combination.

But it would seem that a gun in the back pocket would be very uncomfortable. A wallet is bad enough.

Here is some info re wallet holsters.
    Dear :
    This is in response to your letter of recent date to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). In your letter, you request information regarding the legality of several wallet type holsters which you submitted of our examination.
    As defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(e) of the National Firearms Act (NFA), the term "any other weapon" includes certain weapons capable of being concealed on the person. It is unlawful to make, possess or transfer such weapons which are not registered in accordance with NFA controls. Further, a maker of such firearms who has not paid the appropriate special (occupational) tax is liable for $200 making tax for each weapon produced and $5 for each weapon transferred.
    ATF has previously determined that firearms installed in various types of wallets, briefcases, canes, etc. may be NFA firearms as defined. The submitted samples are rectangular leather cases, which measure approximately 5 1/2 inches in length and 2 3/4 inches in height. They are designed to hold an American Derringer firearm (Model DA 3 in a fixed position with openings in the leather so that the derringer can be operated and fired while it is in the case. When the derringer is installed in the case, the weapon has the exterior appearance to other "wallet guns" which have previously been determined to be NFA firearms.
    - 2 -
    ATF has previously determined that an American Derringer, Model DA 38, in and of itself, is a firearm subject to the provisions of the GCA and is not a firearm subject to the NFA controls. The leather wallet by itself is not subject to control as a firearm. However, we have also determined that any person who might possess such a derringer in combination with the wallet holster would be in possession of a firearm subject to the purview of the NFA.
    Any person who possess the combination would be in possession of a firearm as defined in 26 U.S.C. section 5845(a)(5) of the NFA. Such firearm is subject to the tax imposed under section 5821, and the making provisions of section 5822 of the act.
    Should the wallet holsters, as provided, be sold or transferred separately from the derringers, we strongly recommend that you advise customers regarding the status of these items.
    If you would like to submit a redesigned or modified holster that you believe would not be subject to the NFA when held in combination with an American Derringer firearm, we will be happy to examine it and provide you with the results. We would suggest that the redesigned sample no longer resemble a wallet and the modification should include cutting the top rear of the wallet, thereby exposing the entire back strap and trigger guard area of the inserted derringer. The cuts should follow the exact contour of the frame of the pistol and not overlap to risk a disguised appearance.
    The samples which you submitted for our examination are being returned to you under separate cover.
    - 3 -

We trust the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry. If you have further questions concerning this matter, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,
    [signed] Edward M. Owen, Jr. Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

Regards,
    Jerry

JD
    Administrator
    Another issue with back pocket carry is ejecting the mag via applying pressure to the mag release.

JD nailed that one. When I carried my BUG in an Uncle Mikes holster I would occasionally find the mag released if I carried it in my left rear pocket. For you right-handers that would be where I assume you'd carry it for access to your weak side. That put the mag catch on the outside to be released by the next hard chair or bench you sat on. Since I'm a lefty, I carry it in my right side back pocket and the mag release is against my padding, never had a problem on that side. I carry that gun every day I can legally carry no matter what my primary of choice is. No worse than my wallet. A good holster would prevent a problem alltogether. I use this now and got rid of the cheap UM:

The shield makes it look like a wallet. The ATF does consider a "real" wallet holster an AOW. If you had $200 to blow, you could make one on a Form 1, or find one to transfer for $5. Kind of dumb, but that's The Man for you.

More from the ATF: if the slide is exposed, a wallet holster is not considered an AOW because it is "readily discernible as a weapon"

Saw this one at a gunshow. It seemed more gimmicky then workable.

That conceal weapon concept is the BEST that I have seen. I am looking forward to it's usage. The advantage here, obviously is no one knows that I have a weapon on me (especially the criminals). I can wear shorts and shirt tucked INSIDE(neat appearance) during summer months in Houston or
    anytime for that matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links