Paddle Holster for Colt Defender???

This is a discussion on Paddle Holster for Colt Defender??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having a heck of a time finding a paddle holster that's designed specifically the 3" Colt Defender. I have several paddles that are designed ...

I'm having a heck of a time finding a paddle holster that's designed specifically the 3" Colt Defender. I have several paddles that are designed for longer 1911 bbls that I use but since I often wear a bomber jacket zipped tight in cold weather, I'd like to have maximum concealment with a shorter paddle holster for my Defender. I'd like to find a high rise paddle that exposes a maxium grip grab!!! It has become my choice of carry due to its high accuracy and total reliability with all loads shot with it. I'm very impressed with the quality of content and responses on this site. I've been shooting and reloading for 1911's for over 45 years, including bullseye, among many other weapons and have the advantage of my own backyard range since I live in the country. Any help would sure be appreciated. Mac

VIP Member
    First, Welcome to the forum...
    The Desantis Top Cop Paddle holster might be what you're looking for. It's a fairly high ride holster...

Top Cop Paddle Holster
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Colt Defender Holster query

Thanks a lot for the reply. I checked them out but this holster also fits 3.5" barrels which means the 3" Defender won't reach the end. this is what I've been running up against. Manufacturers list all the different guns that will fit the holster but I want the highest carry I can get for the concealment. Now I have to keep pulling my jacket down to be sure it's tucked up under it. I do wear longer coats on occasion but my leather bombers are my jackets of choice for everyday. I'm a jeans kind of guy . . .

I am really big on high ride belt holsters and can tell you the Desantis paddles are the best I have found, period! I seriously doubt that a 1/2 in is going to be that drastic for your application. Not to mention you may find your SOL for this particular application.

I have a NYPAD holster for my Kel Tec P11 and my Sig P229. Like I said, best I have found for riding high with the dress attire you described.

Here's a link to a Officer's/Defender model;
    Desantis Paddle Holster
    Dont trust the picture at this link. Both mine ride higher than shown and my Sig is larger than a Defender.

Plus here's a pic of my P11 in the NYPAD

Now that's HIGH RIDE!!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Colt Defender Holster

Thanks Fastball. That looks about 2-3 inches higher than my standard Paddles. Might be the answer to my question even though I'm not a big fan of the soft nylon since they're bulkier than leather or plastic types. Mac

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac1911 View Post
    I'm having a heck of a time finding a paddle holster that's designed specifically the 3" Colt Defender. I have several paddles that are designed for longer 1911 bbls that I use but since I often wear a bomber jacket zipped tight in cold weather, I'd like to have maximum concealment with a shorter paddle holster for my Defender. I'd like to find a high rise paddle that exposes a maxium grip grab!!! It has become my choice of carry due to its high accuracy and total reliability with all loads shot with it. I'm very impressed with the quality of content and responses on this site. I've been shooting and reloading for 1911's for over 45 years, including bullseye, among many other weapons and have the advantage of my own backyard range since I live in the country. Any help would sure be appreciated. Mac

I will need to do some checking for you. I wear short leather jackets most of the time too. The belt is going to be as important as any holster. I'm thinking a neutral cant high rise. I don't know what your price range is and you are somewhat limited with the Colt 3".

Uncle Mikes size 0 or 1 would work. It is not an expensive holster. I prefer Kydex I might have a Fobus that will work. If not, I think I have a Blackhawk, Bianchi or Galco.

Have a look at my website.

Look at the holsters but also the belts.

gunsandsupply.com

888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Kramer paddle!

Thanks for the input. I finally did order the Fobus roto paddle today made for the Kimber 3". We'll see how it works out. I own several Fobus holsters and find that once they're broken in, they're pretty good. I'd still prefer a leather paddle if I could find one for this 3" barrel length.

Raven Concealment Systems. Very high ride holsters. Not sure of the exact address, but you can google the name and it will get you there. Good luck

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Three problems I find with high ride holsters.
    1. Because of their higher center of gravity the grip tends to ride out and does not stay as close to the body as low ride holsters.

2. The gun is more difficult to access, and one's shoulder might not like the movement.

3. I wear a shirt with the tail out, and a holster as high as the one shown would be very difficult to move the shirt out of the way so I could get a grip on the gun.

Just be sure you want a high ride or how high do you want it to ride? I have not found any difficulty in concealing low ride holsters under a shirt, and I always go OWB.

I like paddles, but have recently found that I like the snap loop holsters better, and they are more secure. Not that paddles are not secure, but if you do not take pains to make one is fully seated it might come out with the gun. Wouldn't that be an embarrassment? It might just kill me.

I think the only ones I would consider would be Kramer or Garrity, which torrejon224 said was the best he had used, and he formerly preferred the Kramer.

Comp-Tac makes a good one out of kydex. One problem with most paddle holsters is that the paddle, being kydex, becomes uncomfortable for all day wear. The Kramer and I think Garrity holsters have leather paddles. I have never seen either, but would trust Mike's judgment.

Regards,
    Jerry

my solution

I have a Rock Island Compact, with a 3.5" barrel. I went with a Galco paddle, but modified it with a leather shield, as shown below, to make the top of the slide not dig into my side (bit of a love handle problem ) Very comfortable, holds my pistol tight to my side, about 35.00 for the holster and some scrap leather.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Three problems I find with high ride holsters.
    1. Because of their higher center of gravity the grip tends to ride out and does not stay as close to the body as low ride holsters.
    I find this to be a problem as well, but the paddle is removable on the Desantis, but with 15 minutes, a vise and a heat gun, I have canted both of mine back into my body. Problem solved!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I just received the Fobus KM3 today. Perfect match for the Colt Defender. It only extends 1/8" from the bottom of the Holster and has the top of the pistol very exposed for a good fast grab. It also is the easiest to remove from the holster than 3 other Fobus holsters I own. I got it on ebay for $17.45 and 5.00 shipping.

Links