Dummy Guns

This is a discussion on Dummy Guns within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; www.blueguns.com (just noticed it's Ring's) and www.safariland.com have them as well. I haven't bought any yet, so if anyone knows who has the best prices, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dummy Guns

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    www.blueguns.com (just noticed it's Ring's)

and

www.safariland.com

have them as well. I haven't bought any yet, so if anyone knows who has the best prices, I'm interested.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

2. Remove Ads

Hi Chris, yep it`s me. Thanks for the warm welcome! I just found this forum a few days ago. Looks like a nice place.

Mark,they`re molded of a high strength plastic. It`s about the hardness and toughness of hardwood. A friend`s wife who`s a sculptor did them for me. She uses the same hi tech molding techniques and materials to make duplicates of her sculptures for resale. The materials can actually duplicate something so closely that if there are fingerprints on the original they`ll be cast into the duplicate too! BUT to do that the mold mix is like water and it seeps into the lockwork and such then hardens. What a mess! She thickened it up a lot to keep it from getting inside the AutoMag so the textures aren`t perfect but the size and shape are spot on. The Grizzly is more detailed,you can clearly see the bear engraved on the slide etc.! She wants $35ea. for them and I`ll be having dummys of the magazines made too. If you`d like one or both dummy guns e mail me at marksa@nni.com and I`ll have her make a few more. Marcus

You might try http://www.nletc.com/contactus.php
    This is what they have http://www.nletc.com/course_files/06_Gun_Flyer.pdf which are the kind we use in our group to teach retention techniques.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh great - so I was right. Well glad to see you come on board here Marcus. I think you find some useful info and company, tho I know you have been carrying a long time. Probably plenty of input you can offer too.

Still carry that KT P11 with the clip!? I remember that.

Wish I could get out that way again and see all the folks but - time and particularly gas costs now make it difficult and unlikely.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Occasionally,I pretty much retired the P-11 a few years ago in favor of a Kahr P-40. It`s slimmer and much easier to hit well with. Of course I carry bigger stuff too,that`s why I had the dummy gun made of the Grizzly. ;) It actually carries pretty good and it`s a pussycat with CorBon`s self defense load (200gr.JHP/1450fps.). I can`t wait to try it in one of Kevin`s holsters. :) Marcus

Hi Guys!
    I just got a few dummy guns in from Duncan. I specifically told them not so send me any that were not really "clean". These were actually cast to order for me, and they are probably going back too. Everything that I get from them anymore is just about useless.
    On the other hand, I also just got a box in from Rings. Everything was perfect, as usual. I am probably going to discontinue using Duncan for anything from this point forward.
    Personally, I don't know how they (Duncan) can sleep at night...

HI Marcus,
    Welcome aboard!!! Those dummy guns are quite interesting and Duncan can certainly use some competition. One question: Most holster shops press their holsters prior to boning them. Will the casting resin that she uses stand up to about 6 tons of pressure? If so, I might just have a new source for dummies! Thanks!

I just got an HK 2000SK from Duncans which is so lacking in detail it's pretty much a useless block of aluminum. Guess I'll keep borrowing the real deal to make holsters for those until I can find a used one cheap. The only problem with Rings is very limited selection of pistols.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity
    I just got an HK 2000SK from Duncans which is so lacking in detail it's pretty much a useless block of aluminum. Guess I'll keep borrowing the real deal to make holsters for those until I can find a used one cheap. The only problem with Rings is very limited selection of pistols.

Hi Mark,
    I got one in yesterday, too. It is a total POS - it even has holes in it where there was air trapped in the casting. It will be going back...

I am so disgusted with Duncan that I am not ordering anything else from them. If I haven't got it, and John Ring does not make it, then I won't be making holsters for it.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have ordered and received Rings Blue Guns from Brownells and Midway WITHOUT providing any LE credentials. NO questions asked. I do have a C&R FFL on file with both, although that shouldn't make any differnece (other than saving money on the order). I currently have a 1911 and G17 for training/practice. With C&R FFL these Blue Guns cost $35 each IIRC.

Does CA have some sort of state law prohibiting possession of these guns except by LE?

Hi Gary, honestly I dunno for sure if they`ll hold up to a 6 ton press or not but I suspect they`ll hold up to anything any other plastic dummy gun will. I should also mention again that these weren`t done as a commercial venture. They were done so I could get some nice holsters made for my Grizzly and Auto Mag without mailing my babys all over the place. ;) Since the molds are made and can be used hundreds of times I figured I`d make the offer to anyone else who was interested so they can get or make holsters for these guns too. Sorry but I don`t think the woman who`s making them would be interested in doing any other types of guns like this (even if it is a good idea!). Marcus

Howdy Marcus,
    Well, thanks anyway. Tell her that there is an entire industry looking for an alternative to Duncan. If she ever changes her mind, she'll have an instant market. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links