Help deciding between Supertuck, CTAC & MTAC

This is a discussion on Help deciding between Supertuck, CTAC & MTAC within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I am and have always been a CTAC guy. I've bought and sold a dozen holsters and have always, always, gone back to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help deciding between Supertuck, CTAC & MTAC

First off, I am and have always been a CTAC guy. I've bought and sold a dozen holsters and have always, always, gone back to my CTAC holsters. When the MTAC came out it intrigued me, though it looks enormous compared to my CTAC. Then a friend recently told me about his experience with the Crossbreed Supertuck, this is also intriguing as I've heard its more comfortable.

In looking at the two holsters I'm concerned the MTAC and ST are too wide for me, I'm a small to average sized guy, 5'10" and 170lbs, and I just dont want either of them protruding on either side of me. How well do they bend around the body initially, that is a big question in my mind. Also how big are they, they look enormous and would seem like they'd be easily noticed through the pants.

There are pros and cons to each, I've heard the ST is more comfortable, is thinner (less bulky) and yet still carries the weight of heavier guns better. I also like the horsehide and combat cut options. I am a Velcro-clip guy and both holsters have that option. One big plus with the MTAC is the ability to switch out the Kydex so you can use the holster with multiple guns. In the end I'm just not sure. Do I order another CTAC for my 30SF, an MTAC or ST? I just don't know.

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

The only holster I've owned has been an MTAC, I love mine, of course thats probably not much help :)
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I own both.

I have a MTAC for my Walther PPS and have worn it for about 9 months. I love it. I like the adjustability of it. THe clips are smaller and blend in more with belts. I can change the tension When people say it is thicker than the ST, keep in mind that the second layer of leather (on the inside) is cut away from the profile of the gun. The net result is that it is not appreciably thicker at all.

I recently got a Super Tuck for my Ruger LCR. I am still getting used to the revolver in that style of holster. The Super Tuck, mine is horsehide, covers a great deal more area. It doesnt offer the option of changing Kydex for a different gun. The clips are VERY wide and with the stamped cross on them, they are a billboard that announces that you have a gun if you are wearing a tucked shirt. ( I REALLY, REALLY don't like that. If the want the advertising, send a cap or t-shirt ala LaRue). Breaking in also means adding some moleskin to cover the screw heads. All that aside, the Super Tuck is a comfortable holster.

My bottomline is that I like them both, but if MTAC had a holster for the LCR I would have bought it over the SuperTuck.

Just one man's opinion.

The Supertuck does offer other options for your clips. I've worn mine when I'm dressed up with a nice shirt tucked in and nobody has ever asked me about them. Granted I typically always wear black pants when I dress up.

My supertuck is very comfy, but doesn't allow changing out the kydex pieces. But Mark's customer service is top notch. He is also now the owner of XDtalk.com and a true stand up guy.

I've heard great things about comptac and their products. I have two pistols and I have a supertuck for each of them.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I have the comptac spartan. Same thing as the MTAC, but with one piece of leather like the supertuck.

I think it is absolutely perfect.

I can't speak for either of those holsters but I can speak on the width issue, I'm just over 6ft. and 200lbs. I was 175-190 for ages though and I would assume similar size thinness. Either way the width of the holster is what makes it more comfortable in my opinion. It spreads the weight more on the belt which makes a fairly heavy gun feel much less lopsided to me. With 1911 in a slimmer holster or a single point holster I always feel as though I need a mag pouch just to keep my back from getting weird because of the weight on one side only. With a holster as wide as the SuperTuck or the M-Tac it seems more comfortable for me and it seems that way for others also.

Luke

After much research, reading reviews and comments in a number of forums, I finally ordered the SuperTuck. I would have preferred the Tucker The Answer but it is not as cost-effective and I wasn't sure that the additional cost would have gotten me more of a holster. The only way to truly compare to is have 1 of each to wear and I don't have that kind of money to spend. I'm looking forard to my new holster!

I have an MTAC for a S&W .40 compact. It keeps the gun very close to the body, is thin, and the second leather piece over the screws and rivets is nice. I believe you would be very pleased with an MTAC. The width does not seem to be a problem, and the clips are narrow. It "wraps" nicely around the ham at the 4 o'clock position.

I have not had my hands on the CTAC or the Crossbreed, so can't comment.

I have both the MTAC and SuperTuck. I like them both but the MTAC is more flexible by being able to buy more bodies for it.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies! I ended up ordering a SuperTuck in horsehide with the combat-cut and v-clips. I figured if it doesn't work out I can always unload it and try out an MTAC. I am still uncertain as to which would be the better choice as they both have pros and cons. I'll post back with an update on what I think!

Thanks!!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

I went with the Supertuck for my XDm. I like the guarantee that you have two weeks to try it out. If it doesn't work for you you can send it back for a full refund.

I figure I will try and see how difficult it is to carry an XDm. If it is too hard I'll send the holster back and plan on buying a sc glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie 585 View Post
    I went with the Supertuck for my XDm. I like the guarantee that you have two weeks to try it out. If it doesn't work for you you can send it back for a full refund.

I figure I will try and see how difficult it is to carry an XDm. If it is too hard I'll send the holster back and plan on buying a sc glock.
    Wow, I didnt know about that policy. Thanks so much for the info!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

I'm a MTAC guy with velcro myself. Quite comfortable but, I've never tried on a ST.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Glock 30SF, Kahr CM9
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c

I own both the MTAC & SuperTuck. I am very suprised by just how comfortable these holsters are. More so than lots of my nice leather rigs. I found that I prefer the SuperTuck for "bigger" or "heavier" guns like the G21/G30 and the MTAC for "smaller" or "lighter" guns like Kahr P9 or G26. The wider profile on the SuperTuck seems to handle the extra weight better. Just my 2 cents...
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links