Holster belt width, 1 1/2 vs 1 1/4

This is a discussion on Holster belt width, 1 1/2 vs 1 1/4 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I've been agonizing through several days of research and indecision and wondered if anyone here could help me out. I've been carrying my Springfield ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster belt width, 1 1/2 vs 1 1/4

Holster belt width, 1 1/2 vs 1 1/4

Hi, I've been agonizing through several days of research and indecision and wondered if anyone here could help me out. I've been carrying my Springfield XDsc9 in a Galco high-ride belt holster on a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's Belt 1 1/2" with the polymer insert. Now that I've learned just how much I like my new 1911, I'm in the market for a CC holster. I've pretty much decided on the FIST #11 Close Cropped Combination holster and adding a body protector. I'm also in the market for one or more belts to offer a more casual look but still function as a good sturdy gun belt.

The instructor's belt has really helped me out since I injured a lumbar disk in my back last year which I attribute to not increasing the waist size of my pants and not using a proper gun belt. I've now remedied that situation.

Also, my body size, 5'9" with 32 inch waist makes it necessary for a holster to hug close to my body in order to conceal my EDC properly.

So....my question is, will a 1 1/4 inch belt greatly decrease the solidity, security that I experience with the 1 1/2 inch? I plan on ordering a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt with the polymer insert and also a good quality leather belt in either bull hide or saddle leather with polymer insert from Galco or Beltman or similar manufacturer.

So what do you think? Am I agonizing over this too much? I really don't have the funds to make the wrong purchase but also know that I've gotta spend some cash to get a quality belt. I just don't want to be disappointed in the preformance of what I get.

Help!!!!!
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    So....my question is, will a 1 1/4 inch belt greatly decrease the solidity, security that I experience with the 1 1/2 inch?
    My $0.02.

Depends on the specific belt and holster design. And, really, you won't know until you try it. People can give you an idea of what their experiences have been, but that's according to how it fit on their own body's shape ... not yours.

I've had good success with the double-bullhide BeltMan in 1.5", matched with a decent holster designed to hold the gun closely.

If concerned that won't be enough, add a stiffener in the belt (at time of order). In any case, be sure to pick a holster that is designed to hold the gun close to your body in those areas where you want the gun held closely. Every body shape is different. But in my experience, the holster's design is crucial to take advantage of the platform the belt provides. If the holster doesn't pull in the gun at the point you need it, then no matter what you do it won't act like you want it to. It's hard to say which one will pull in enough for you. Hard, unless you try them on.

What you can do with a custom holster maker is to suggest that it be made specifically tightly pull in the gun at a specific spot. The holster maker should be able to make minor adjustments to help ensure a holster will tend to fit more closely.

If anything, a narrow waist suggests you've got more of a "V" shaped torso than most. Meaning, just keeping the gun butt tucked tightly against the body, generally, will ensure that you get a good, close fit. Whereas, someone whose side is a bit more vertical might have more of a problem with the same gear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I own and wear daily the 1-1/4" wide wilderness tactical belt with the poly insert. It is plenty solid.

I ordered my MTac w/ 1 1/4" hooks before I had a belt to go with it, now i'm having a hard time finding a leather belt in 1 1/4" thats under $40, am I expecting too much for too little ($) ?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    1 1/2 is the standard

I wear business casual clothes on a daily basis. It would be very difficult to wear an 1 1/2" belt with wardrobe. I've found that a good quality 1 1/4" GUN belt works well with either of my MTAC or X-breed holsters. The key, I believe, is that I am carrying a light weight gun (either a PPS or LCR) in a holster design that spreads the weight widely across the belt.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    1.5 is the standard with the exception of "mass produced makers" like Galco and De Santis who stick with 1.75. Prior to retirement when I still had to wear a suit on occasion then my belts were 1.25 along with the holsters I wore but I specified a insert be added to the belts for the reinforcement needed to carry a Govt 1911 and two mags. Now that jeans are pretty much my daily attire, 1.5 is all I wear. 1.75 is too thick and doesn't fit the loops on my jeans and 1.25 is too thin and causes the belt, holster, etc to shift. Your call but I think you will find that 1.5 will serve you best.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    looper...what size would you like...with stiffener...

Looper Reinforced Holster Belt

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I use both sizes....1 1/2 is great for heavier guns OWB...I find the 1 1/4 works fine with light guns like my 442 OWB or my other guns IWB...I have found that a narrower belt is a bit more comfortable so I try to go 1 1/4 when I can...

These belts are pretty nice for the price and well made. I've used one for about 10 years.

L Belt - Ted Blocker Holsters

Unlined and w/o stiffener and $12.50 shipping. Still a good deal though in the $50 range.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    looper...what size would you like...with stiffener...

Looper Reinforced Holster Belt
    Those belts look nice and slim..one of the problems I have with gun belts is most are too thick, which makes them uncomfortable...that's why I presently use a wilderness belt...stiff, but thin...if you get a chance, can you measure it and let me know just how thin the looper is?

Thanks for your replies. After re-reading my OP, I realized that I had failed to add that my back issue was due to wearing IWB without proper pant size and proper belt. I'm not so concerned with how a 1 1/4" belt would preform with IWB holster such as my Kholster. Its just that its so much more comfortable for me to wear OWB and just wear a cover shirt untucked. If I happen to leave it unbuttoned as well, I would like to have a decent looking belt showing, not necessarily the tactical look of a 1 1/2 inch belt. Hmmmm, I guess there is a REASON that 1 1/2-1 3/4 belts look "tactical", huh? Because the increased width WORKS for tactical issues, such as carrying a gun!

Guess I'll just have to try out what I think is best and see if I've wasted money.

Y'all have a great evening. I'll be web-shopping.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

It depends on what you will use the belt for. If it is everyday carry wearing jeans, khakis or something similar then I would go with 1 1/2. If it is for dress slacks, I would go with 1 1/4. If it is for a suit I would check out a 1" belt. As stated above, it all depends on the weight of the gun you are carrying.

Check out A&G Custom Gun leather. Al makes a great belt with fast ship times and is prices a bit cheaper than the Beltman.

Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather

I'c stick with 1 & 1/2 inch...a belt this size fits jeans and many other pants...not dress pant, though.
    With one size belt, you won't have to guess which holster...just a thought.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have both 1.5" and 1.25" belts. I'm not discounting a quality 1.5" but my Beltman elephant 1.25" w/velcro is my preferred belt and very adequate for what I may be carrying (G33 is the biggest). JMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links